Micro-ATX PVR Build
I'm looking to build a PVR HTPC that would also run sickbeard/sabnzbd in the background. I think I'll start with Ubuntu, but it might become a Windows 7 box. Anyway, I think I have most of my components and I just wanted to run them by you guys as I've found everyone else's posts to be so helpful in finding my own components.

One other question, I live in the US and have a digital antenna i'd like to record off, and I'm thinking of running the PVR XBMC version. Any suggestions for the tuner card? Also, aside from the tuner card, is a separate GPU necessary or could I rely on the intel chip support? I'm looking to stream 1080p, but no blu-ray for now. Given this Mobo, I could only use one of the two, since most cards use PCI-E and the board only has one PCI-E spot, correct?

Any remote suggestions?

The components are
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Case: Micro-ATX Silver Stone ML03B
RAM: Kingston 1333mhz 4GB DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P8H61
HD: OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD
Fans: 3 Enermax UC-8EB
PSU: Antec Earth watts 380
GPU: EVGA GeForce 210 1024MG DDR3

Thank you.
Trade up the OCZ for a Crucial or other non-Sandforce SSD and the Geforce 210 to a Geforce 430 for better deinterlacing and you're good to go. HDHomerun for the tuner.

People may say different, I'd go discrete instead of integrated GPU in this PVR scenario.

The HDHomerun does look pretty nice. I haven't read such great things about the TV Tuner cards though I do like the idea of incorporating everything into one box. Just curious, why change the OCZ drive?

Thanks.
Loss of performance when disk is getting full and short life has been reported on unit using sandforce controllers like OCZ
Better Crucial or even better Samsung 830
Thanks for the suggestions. I changed it up with the samsung 830 128 for only $10 more. I think I'm going to skip out on the GeForce 210 for now and see what the box runs like without it. I could always pick up a card after if it's not performing well enough.

I also noticed that the original mobo doesn't have an HDMI output so I switched it up for the Gigabyte GA-B75M. I just want to confirm how easily the box will boot back up from sleep or hibernate to a remote command. I couldn't find much info on the gigabyte manual regarding wake from usb. Any ideas?
Check here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132960
(2012-07-31, 21:04)facted Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. I changed it up with the samsung 830 128 for only $10 more. I think I'm going to skip out on the GeForce 210 for now and see what the box runs like without it. I could always pick up a card after if it's not performing well enough.

I also noticed that the original mobo doesn't have an HDMI output so I switched it up for the Gigabyte GA-B75M. I just want to confirm how easily the box will boot back up from sleep or hibernate to a remote command. I couldn't find much info on the gigabyte manual regarding wake from usb. Any ideas?

I tried this with an Intel i3 too.. as I built my box a few months ago when the 7000 series and Nvidias were just coming out, so I relied on the intel integrated graphics..
Video playplack image issues - kind of like playing a game on LCD without VSync..(misaligned frames/tearing?) Once I slipped in a discrete card.. all gone.. smooth.

So I would suggest you buy a discrete card in the not too distant future!

The other advantage of a discrete card is to give you a bit of power for your Emulators/old school gaming!
(2012-08-01, 03:50)Digital Vortex Wrote: I tried this with an Intel i3 too.. as I built my box a few months ago when the 7000 series and Nvidias were just coming out, so I relied on the intel integrated graphics..
Video playplack image issues - kind of like playing a game on LCD without VSync..(misaligned frames/tearing?) Once I slipped in a discrete card.. all gone.. smooth.

The other advantage of a discrete card is to give you a bit of power for your Emulators/old school gaming!

Thanks for this info. What card did you go with? What mobo did you go with? Micro or Mini-ATX?

(2012-08-01, 03:50)Digital Vortex Wrote: I tried this with an Intel i3 too.. as I built my box a few months ago when the 7000 series and Nvidias were just coming out, so I relied on the intel integrated graphics..

Have you tried disabling DVXA?
Would a i3-2105 allow me to skip the video card? I'm not going to be doing any gaming on this. Would I be better off going with an A6-3500?

Thanks for the input.
(2012-08-03, 17:07)facted Wrote: Would a i3-2105 allow me to skip the video card? I'm not going to be doing any gaming on this. Would I be better off going with an A6-3500?

Thanks for the input.
I can playback all blu-ray files using Intel HD2000 iGPU so far......for HTPC usages, you don't need a discrete GPU.........

This is what I did- post #3
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Micro-ATX PVR Build0