music playback volume+crossfade problems - frodo
Setup: ATV2 -> OPTICAL OUT -> DAC -> 2.1 SPEAKERS
XBMC audio output: Analog, Optical/Coax (both settings tested, same results)

Problem: During normal music playback, when advancing from track to track (either because playing track has ended or by pressing skp fwd), the crossfade is imperfect (often occurring with milliseconds of silence and/or a pop), and then XBMC loses the volume control setting and next track plays at full volume (regardless of setting). From this point, skipping tracks forward or around sometimes restores the [lower] set volume but problem reoccurs after letting a track play through and then advances to next.

Problem occurs with XBMC set to Analog, Optical/Coax, ReplayGain on or off, crossfade on or off. Problem has existed on all nightly builds to date since ATV2 Frodo nightlies resumed. Problem does not exist on Eden.

Any developers aware of this? I use XMBC mainly and daily for music playback so I'm stuck on Eden for the time being. Further to that, I'd be particularly happy to help developers test audio/music library functionality being worked on in Frodo if there is ever something you guys would like focus on. I'm excited about Frodo because there seems to be a major focus on audio and the music library -- my XBMC music library is 110K+ tracks 7K albums (which means slow library loads, so I'm always happy to read commits that address improved music/library functionality).

Let me know if the posting of any logs would help in regards to this problem.

FYI, another thing -- rescanned my music library using recent Frodo builds (which takes about 24-36 hours!!) and after completion no COMPILATIONS button/category appears in the music library though there are 700K compilations properly tagged in my collection.

Thanks for any input.
No we were not aware of this. Thx for reporting. I can reproduce the volume goes wonkey after track change. No time left for today and the next days though.

For the cross fade i can already tell you that you shouldn't expect a quick fix for this. We are still struggling with the new audioengine which was introduced in may.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I also have these issues... Sad

I revert to the stable version, but let me know when you want help to fix this, to install the latest version again...

Regards
(2012-07-31, 23:48)Memphiz Wrote: No we where not aware of this. Thx for reporting. I can reproduce the volume goes wonkey after track change. No time left for today and the next days though.

For the cross fade i can already tell you that you shouldn't expect a quick fix for this. We are still struggling with the new audioengine which was introduced in may.

Crossfade is no big deal while playing with Frodo nightlies, I understand the audio framework is all new.

The eventual volume fix will be nice though as Frodo isn't very usable for continual music playback currently.

fmb
Yeah i already found the volume bug. Its just when i come to my dev rig next time Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-08-01, 09:40)Memphiz Wrote: Yeah i already found the volume bug. Its just when i come to my dev rig next time Wink

Have just seen the commit, thanks Memphiz!!
FYI, the volume problem has resurfaced on the 8-14 nightly.
(2012-08-10, 17:22)freshmikeb Wrote: FYI, the volume problem has resurfaced on the 8-14 nightly.

happens whether playing music or video.
yep ... totally different cause this time ... will fix asap
The volume spike should be fixed.
I tried the latest nightly and occasionally I still have the volume spike on track transition...

I don't have crossfade enabled, and use audiophile = 1...

I'm going today to vacations, so I can't help right now...
When the issue occurs is between the first and last 5 seconds of the track...
Volume spikes and then it gets low again right? If so its a known issue for now - didn't find the cause of it yet.
Memphiz,

Let us know when this issue is fixed... It's really annoying...

Thanks for your support!

Regards
3 month...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
music playback volume+crossfade problems - frodo0