Shutdown XBMC on idle
hi,

it happens twice the last few weeks that i forgot to shutdown my htpc before i left my home. it would be a nice feature, when i can set a certain time to shut down the pc when idling.
it's actually similar to the existing feature "Put display to sleep when idle" so i guess it's not hard to implement?!

thanks for this cool piece of software btw.

On the same screen as "Put display to sleep when idle":
  • "Shutdown function timer" - set the desired number of minutes of idle before invoking shutdown function (option below)
  • "Shutdown function" - select Shutdown
i thought "shutdown function timer" means to shut down the system in general after a certain time - nothing to do wether its idling or not!
wiki has no description so far for these functions.

thanks for clarification!
(2012-08-01, 20:19)marv_el Wrote: i thought "shutdown function timer" means to shut down the system in general after a certain time - nothing to do wether its idling or not!
That would be the "Custom shutdown timer", which is accessed from the XBMC shutdown menu. This behaves like the sleep timer on many TVs.

I prefer the "Shutdown function timer" since it only takes effect when XBMC is idle.
with "shutdown function timer" and upnp server enabled, will it also take effect when i am playing a video over upnp? this wouldn't be useful then.
If your XBMC system is the UPnP server, then yes, it will shutdown when the timer has elapsed even if a UPnP client is viewing a video. You could disable "Shutdown function timer" whenever you wish to serve files to other computers in your network and then re-enable it when you are done. However, if you forget to restore the timer, then you're back to your original problem of having your XBMC system staying on.

If your XBMC system is the UPnP client, then it will not shutdown if you are viewing a video from a UPnP server.
Hey everyone,

I also find this feature useful. The naming was a little bit weird, so I just checked wether it would do what I thought it might do. The problem is now, that idling is detected by xbmc activity only.

Now here's the deal: Most people use their xbmc machine as something else, too. For my home-made NAS for instance, I built my own idle timer script, that has certain watch-directories and IPs.

Meaning: If a certain IP is still pingable, don't shutdown. If a certain directory has still activity (something is downloading for example), don't shutdown. Any other case, shutdown after 5 retries per minute.

Something like that would be nice. Or exposing a file that just needs to be touched to delay shutdown even further? Is anything like that already possible?

Andreas
Lightbulb 
In case anybody else is looking for this feature check out: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...wer_saving
(2013-03-13, 14:52)andreasz Wrote: Hey everyone,

I also find this feature useful. The naming was a little bit weird, so I just checked wether it would do what I thought it might do. The problem is now, that idling is detected by xbmc activity only.

Now here's the deal: Most people use their xbmc machine as something else, too. For my home-made NAS for instance, I built my own idle timer script, that has certain watch-directories and IPs.

Meaning: If a certain IP is still pingable, don't shutdown. If a certain directory has still activity (something is downloading for example), don't shutdown. Any other case, shutdown after 5 retries per minute.

Something like that would be nice. Or exposing a file that just needs to be touched to delay shutdown even further? Is anything like that already possible?

Andreas
Sorry to revive an old thread.
I'll ask here first and if no one answers I'll go ahead and post a feature request.

Basically I want to do something similar to the user above, ie specify what exactly counts as idle and what doesn't when using the idle shutdown timer.
I need this as I am using the xsqueeze addon, which uses an external player. Thus when I am playing music with the xsqueeze add on, the computer thinks its idle and initiates the shutdown action after 20 min, cutting my music.
Is there any way to add idle exception screens ? This would mean that when the xsqueeze extension screen is up, xbmc considers it is not idling and the timer is not initiated.

Thanks
I need some clarification as well.Last night I installed Gotham 3.2 (clean, I deinstalled Eden first) and now there is no shutdown option as described here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...wer_saving

That option worked on Eden without problem. XBMC is installed on 10 inch Dell Atom 1.6 laptop on Win 7 starter. Any clue why this option is missing, and how to show it on Gotham?
Make sure your settings level is set to advanced.
Well @ned, thank you for your simple, but useful hint. Smile Problem solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown XBMC on idle0