[Uraid] Build advice
(2012-08-06, 16:14)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-06, 15:32)Icerat Wrote: So what would be the best level to put a slip on, was thinking at the season level on TV_Shows so that all the season stay together.

That sounds about right,..
Although what I do is, know the size of the folder contents I want to copy over,..and copy directly to the mapped drive that has the most free space to accommodate.
I still need to put my grubby hands on things and do them manually.

Google "the renamer" I use it and if you get this prior to moving files to unraid, you can both move the files you want and rename them at the same time. Should save you a bit of work. GL with it!! OH and it will create the directory structure you want as well, just have to play with the options to get what you want. Makes the XBMC scraping go much smoother.

(2012-08-05, 21:48)Icerat Wrote: Any chance you could dump down User shares for me so that i can get my head around it.

Ideally I want the following shares set up for XBMC
TV Shows
Movies_SD
Movies_HD
Music

And the following just for access from my other machines:
Backups
Other folders

I cant seem to get my head around the level thing, I don't really want bits of my TV shows / Movies scattered across drives, could create all sorts of playback issues (TV Shows are mostly stored in RAR sets).

Was thinking on Disks 1 and 2 having the following

TV_Shows
Show
Season
Episode
show.rar1
show.rar2
etc

Movies_HD
Movie
Movie.mkv (or rar-set)

Disk 3 would be for music and backups etc

To see If I understand this correctly say I map the share TV_Shows and drop a Show to in it in the relevant show / season directory it should get copied in whole to either disk 1 or 2.
What I don't want happening is that the whole shows rars are scattered across disks 1 and 2, Am I understanding this correctly?

reConfusedplit levels
Whith your directory structure on the 'TV_shows' share, At a share level of 2, your top two folders in the heirchy (show and season) could be assigned by unRaid on multiple discs, but any subfolders of the 'season' folder would be on the same physical disc. Which I think is the most desirable, IMO. that will keep the contents of your 3rd folder in the heirchy together which likley includes your fanart, episode, thumbs etc on the same drive.

Now for the Movies_HD share you could do a split level of 1. That would allow the folder containing the individual movies to possibly be on seperate drives, but the contents of the folder will remain together, again likely containing fanart, thumbs etc..

for you music, depending on how your library is organized (you didnt specify). If its artist/album/song, I would do a split level of one, that would keep the individual albums (which are level two) on the same disk, so if you listen to an album beging to end, only one disk will spin up. the artist (level one) may have albums on different disks, but the album (level two) will stay together.

TV_Shows --- share
-- Show <--- level one
---- Season 1<--- level two
------ Episode <-- level three
-------- show.rar1
-------- show.rar2
---- Season 2<--- level two

Movies_HD --share
-- Movie <-- level one
---- Movie.mkv (or rar-set)

Music - share
-- Artist <--- level one
---- Album <---level two
------ song
------ song

Personally, for my music share, I just have the entire share on a single disk. When I listen to shuffled music I don't want it to possibly be spinning up every disk in the array because there are songs spread across all the disks.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Good point

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Uraid] Build advice1