First HTPC, loosely based on eskro template. Will it work?
(2012-08-03, 04:51)Cath Barkley Wrote: Well, I found "4G kit Kingston HyperX" on the MSY shop's pdf pricelist (generally a more up-to-date indication of what's available than the website). So if they have stock when I go there on Saturday I'll grab it and save myself $30. Am I just looking for any Kingston HyperX 1600 memory?

As for 1866, best I can find is "4G Kit 1866 Patriot Viper-Xtreme Div.2" for $35.
If the price is the same, just buy the 1866....if 1600 is cheaper, go for it instead......

(2012-08-03, 04:51)Cath Barkley Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 21:51)bluray Wrote: Since Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H support dual graphic technology, it should be good for APU.......you can crossfire HD6530D with HIS Radeon HD6570 Silence 1GB to further boost 3D graphics performance......
In what way would performance be boosted?
It means that you can enjoy higher frame rates, simultaneously utilizing the processing power of both discrete and onboard graphics processors.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-03, 05:48)bluray Wrote: It means that you can enjoy higher frame rates, simultaneously utilizing the processing power of both discrete and onboard graphics processors.....
Well I would like my 3D blu rays to play perfectly, so I'll grab one.

So, the final build looks like:
CASE: Silverstone ML03 - $75

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H A75 HDMI USB3 GLan FM1 Socket DDR3 - $96

CPU: AMD A6 3500 Triple Core Fusion - $65

GPU: HIS Radeon HD6570 1GB Silence - $59

PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W - $75

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive - $55

RAM: "4G kit Kingston HyperX" - $29 if it is available at MSY.
OR
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB it it's not.

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB - $125

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard - $49

TOTAL: 628

Thanks heaps bluray, Dougie and everyone else who gave me advice. Legends Big Grin

I have just one more question before I go and buy the components tomorrow. Someone told me to get an A8 processor which is more than double the price to rip the blu rays, a fanless PSU which is also more than double the price and a bunch of fans for cooling. Do I really need any of those things right now?
The A6-3500 is more than capable of doing what you need.

You can always add a discrete GPU later -- there is no need for one right now.

Looking back at your posts I don't see any mention of wanting this to be a gaming HTPC. If not, there is no need for the extra expense and heat generated by a quad-core processor or a discrete graphics card. If you will be gaming, it's a whole different kind of build.

(2012-08-03, 13:07)Cath Barkley Wrote: I have just one more question before I go and buy the components tomorrow. Someone told me to get an A8 processor which is more than double the price to rip the blu rays, a fanless PSU which is also more than double the price and a bunch of fans for cooling. Do I really need any of those things right now?
If you are doing a lot of transconding, the quad-core A8 will do it faster than the lessser core A6 and you will get a slightly better GPU in the A8 too. As far as CPU cooling fan, you can give the included cooling fan a try first. You might not hear the fan noise at seating area.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Can the A6-3500 handle sabnznbd post-processing while running xbmc, as well as live OTA recording via HDHomerun? Trying to decide between a box pretty much identical what is listed here vs an i3-2120 based box.

Thanks!
Not going to be doing any gaming whatsoever. That's what my Xbox is for. Nor will I be doing any transcoding as the blu rays will be ripped as ISOs.

I'm just going to go for the A6.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC, loosely based on eskro template. Will it work?0