Thinking about going the xbmc route
Hello!
I'm not sure this is the best spot on the forum to place this but i'm sure some people could help me...
I tested xbmc on my w7 machine and i fell in love with it.
Especially the auto-scraping thing Smile

I'm currently using a HDI dune base 3.0 with all my media on an unraid server..

Is it a good way/good idea to sell my dune + logitech squeezebox and get a htpc with xbmc on it?

My htpc + xmbc should be:
* Equal audio quality to the dune
* Equal video quality to the dune
* No buffering/stuttering issues
* Able to play full bd
* Able to play HD-Audio
* Able to play music without turning on tv
* It should be energy efficient, low noise and low heat

* Able to play full 3D would be a nice extra

Can someone confirm all these specifications needed?

Budget, i dunno, i think 300-350 euro will do?
About the power to run.... will it be as efficient as for ex my dune?

Hardware:
Been looking around at all topics here, i'm not sure about a hdd; should i get an ssd or is this not wanted?

Your thoughts please !
45 views, no reply, nobody?
hd audio bitstream is a no-go with openelec (linux)

you need windows for that

search the threads, there is a ton of info on both. the user named bluray can help you with both. check out his threads like this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128480

and see this thread for playing bluray in linux: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420
(2012-08-02, 19:47)aptalca Wrote: hd audio bitstream is a no-go with openelec (linux)

you need windows for that

search the threads, there is a ton of info on both. the user named bluray can help you with both. check out his threads like this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128480

and see this thread for playing bluray in linux: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420

Is that true? No hd audio with openelec?
Hd-audio really is a must for me
Are they working on it?
If the above is true, then i definately need an ssd for windows on it...
And i dont have the problem with bluray and linux...
The beauty of XBMC is that with enough time and effort, anything is possible Big Grin
Guess i need windows and an ssd...
How fast will it boot then +-?
What do you think of thuis build

Im in for group 7

Processor: AMD A-8 3850 : 101 euro
Mobo: Asrock A75M : 55 euro
Voeding: Sea Sonic SS-400ES : 60,45 euro
Case: MS-tech MC-380 : 62,7 euro
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x2gb ddr3 - 1600 Mhz CL9 : 27,7 euro
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB: 74 euro
BR drive: LiteOn Ihos104 : 48,7 euro

Total: 430 euro

Purpose:
- Full bd playback
- 3d playback
- audio playback without turning on tv
- Able to navigate all with harmony one
- HD-audio playback
- Energy efficiënt
- Boot straight away in xbmc

or should i go for an asrock vision serie instead? or are these equal?
I saw your post on the UnRaid forum. I am thinking of building an HTPC as well. I've got a Dune D1 and a PCH-A210, which have been working excellent so far streaming all of my content from a 10TB unraid server, but I will be needing two more media players for my kids rooms, and with Dune's recent price increase, and PCH's little bugs I think the best thing to try is XBMC.
ok Smile
any comments on the build?
(2012-08-02, 20:45)Skank Wrote: Guess i need windows and an ssd...

A lot of people have posted boot times with Windows 7 and a SSD at somewhere around 20-30 sec.
Some people put their unit into Sleep mode,...which means instant on.

Good luck!
About processor: doubting between a6 3500 or a8 3850, only 30 euro difference, or should i take a4 3400?
Is it true that the A6-3500 is triple core, but the cores work on 2,1 Ghz. The A4-3400 is dual core but work on 2,7 Ghz so in practice the a4 will work faster on singlthreaded applications like xbmc?

About psu, isnt 400watt not too much? Can i take a be quiet 300 watt pure power L7?

The case, doubting if i shouldnt take the silverstone Ml03b , but then i cant navigate with my harmony one?

For the br-drive , thinking about picking a dvd drive, since all my movies are on hdd's, and i only want to be able to read cds or pcgames on dvd
(2012-08-03, 13:12)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 20:45)Skank Wrote: Guess i need windows and an ssd...

A lot of people have posted boot times with Windows 7 and a SSD at somewhere around 20-30 sec.
Some people put their unit into Sleep mode,...which means instant on.

Good luck!

quite fast! thx
I understand that AMD is cheaper, but I think Intel mobo / CPU is faster and uses less power. I was thinking of using a i3 for my HTPC build. It should have enough power to play high bitrate BD movies.
everybody else seem to take the amd..
and it has a slightly better gpu
Performance wise intel is better. Price wise AMD is better. That's the reason why my unRaid build is based on AMD CPU. I just didn't have the money to buy a Supermicro mobo with i3 processor. I bought the AMB mobo + AMD CPU for the price of the i3 processor.
still want comments on the build pls

Processor: AMD A-8 3850 : 101 euro or amd a-6 3500
Mobo: Asrock A75M : 55 euro
Voeding: Sea Sonic SS-400ES : 60,45 euro or be-quiet pure power L7 300W or something else
Case: MS-tech MC-380 : 62,7 euro or silverstone Ml03b or mobo with psu in? knowing that i want to use harmony one to navigate
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x2gb ddr3 - 1600 Mhz CL9 : 27,7 euro
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB: 74 euro
BR drive: LiteOn Ihos104 : 48,7 euro

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about going the xbmc route0