Thinking about going the xbmc route
(2012-08-02, 19:47)aptalca Wrote: hd audio bitstream is a no-go with openelec (linux)

you need windows for that

search the threads, there is a ton of info on both. the user named bluray can help you with both. check out his threads like this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128480

and see this thread for playing bluray in linux: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420

This is NOT true...

HD audio is a product of Frodo (XBMC not released yet) but there are a few of us, myself included making OpenELEC builds based off Frodo head.
So yes you can Bitstream HD Audio on a developer release of OpenELEC!

The only issue you will run into is Blu-Ray support on OpenELEC, as Linux doesnt support DRM so Blu-rays are out until they can find a way around the DRM.
BUT... There is a way using a special file in a special folder on OpenELEC, but you have to find it for yourself.

My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
(2012-08-03, 14:24)Skank Wrote: still want comments on the build pls

Processor: AMD A-8 3850 : 101 euro or amd a-6 3500 or amd a6 Fusion black edition 3670K?[b]
Mobo: Asrock A75M : 55 euro
Psu: Sea Sonic SS-400ES : 60,45 euro [b]or be-quiet pure power L7 300W or something else

Case: MS-tech MC-380 : 62,7 euro or silverstone Ml03b or mobo with psu in? knowing that i want to use harmony one to navigate
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x2gb ddr3 - 1600 Mhz CL9 : 27,7 euro
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB: 74 euro
BR drive: LiteOn Ihos104 : 48,7 euro

Added the black edition of the amd proc[/b]
Build so far

Is this ok?
Doubts about case...
Do i forget cables or somethings?
Extra case fans needed?
Anyone?
i have the same motherboard with a a6-3500 in a silverstone case, plays everything without a hassle. your temps will be lower with the a6-3500 since it only has 65W TDP, whereas the 3670 has 100W. i use it with the stock cooler (will change it eventually) and one 80mm case fan. after lowering the rpms of the fans in asrocks tuning utility, its extremely quiet and the temps dont go above ~40C. i'm very happy with mine!

one thing i remember, you have to set the ram speed in bios to auto or 1600, mine was stock at 1333!
AMD is NOT cheaper than Intel anymore, fwiw.

CPU for $35-$45, Motherboard for $65.

Intel has more power, easier to cool, uses less energy, easier to upgrade, more stable and less buggy HTPC drivers, etc.

For gaming you can go with an Intel CPU and AMD/NVidia GPU and come out at the same (or less) cost with a much more capable gaming system.
(2012-08-05, 23:04)assassin Wrote: AMD is NOT cheaper than Intel anymore, fwiw.

CPU for $35-$45, Motherboard for $65.

Intel has more power, easier to cool, uses less energy, easier to upgrade, more stable and less buggy HTPC drivers, etc.

For gaming you can go with an Intel CPU and AMD/NVidia GPU and come out at the same (or less) cost with a much more capable gaming system.

Intel still has the 24p bug? Amd has better GPU which is much more important than CPU for htpc... i've read
Geesh.

They all have the "24p bug" and Intel gets as close as anyone else.

www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-set-this-straight-no-one-can-do-24p-consistently-well

Unless you are gaming the igpu/apu is all the same for 1080p. And even if you are gaming you can't do it at max settings which is often not disclosed for some reason which is why I said a discrete card is much more capable.
(2012-08-06, 13:00)assassin Wrote: Geesh.

www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-set-this-straight-no-one-can-do-24p-consistently-well

Unless you are gaming the igpu/apu is all the same for 1080p. And even if you are gaming you can't do it at max settings which is often not disclosed for some reason which is why I said a discrete card is much more capable.

which mobo../cpu would you recommend then?
And why is it not in the recommendation topic then?
(2012-08-06, 13:04)Skank Wrote:

You mean the the recommendations that have incorrect information (that I have asked repeatedly to have updated) and hasn't been updated in 4 months?
(2012-08-03, 17:03)Skank Wrote: Build so far

Is this ok?
Doubts about case...
Extra case fans needed?

Looks like you'll have one awesome machine went completed.
Make sure you post pictures as you build.
Not familiar with that case, but the pictures as you build will help someone else that wants to use the same case.
Good luck!
(2012-08-06, 13:52)assassin Wrote:

You mean the the recommendations that have incorrect information (that I have asked repeatedly to have updated) and hasn't been updated in 4 months?

i guess , not sure Smile
So what mobo/cpu would you recommend then?
(2012-08-06, 14:00)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-03, 17:03)Skank Wrote: Build so far

Is this ok?
Doubts about case...
Extra case fans needed?

Looks like you'll have one awesome machine went completed.
Make sure you post pictures as you build.
Not familiar with that case, but the pictures as you build will help someone else that wants to use the same case.
Good luck!

thx
Although now i (see post above) have doubt to take an intel instead..
Sometimes, you just need to go with your first choice.
Sure this stuff can be confusing,...but usually,..all opinions can be confusing.
What ever you choose,..you'll be happy with the end result.

It sounds like you're experiencing what most people do,...buyer's apprehension.
As I said,...take the plunge....
(2012-08-06, 17:21)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Sometimes, you just need to go with your first choice.
Sure this stuff can be confusing,...but usually,..all opinions can be confusing.
What ever you choose,..you'll be happy with the end result.

It sounds like you're experiencing what most people do,...buyer's apprehension.
As I said,...take the plunge....

I will Smile as soon as my dune base is sold Smile lol

Assassin?
Which mobo/cpu would u recommend then?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about going the xbmc route0