Linux Powering ON/OFF
First time user. Tried powering down the unit, and I get a message on the tv telling me 'Shutdown Complete' You can now safely power off the system.

I've tried clicking the power button on the remote and hitting the power button at the back of the media player, the system remains on, and my power light is flickering?

Is this normal?

Also how do I power the player on again when I use it the next time?
More info please, especially about your hardware, operating system and XBMC version.
I have the Pivos Xios M3 media player, I'm running the May 7,2013 update for Linux.

Please let me know if there's any other info that might be helpful.
i have a few xios m3 units that im playing with. the linux build doesnt fully shut down (like you mention) while the android version puts it into standby mode (been a while since i used android on it, but pretty sure it works like that). there is no way to turn the unit on from the off position in linux, or via WOL. the units use a max of 10 watts, and under 5 watts when idle, so i leave mine on all the time.

is there a reason you want to turn them off when your done other than minor power saving?
No specific reason, but just like anything else when it's not in use i just power it off.

So is it normal for the power lights to be flickering, even when its powered on?
im with you. i was expecting it to be more appliance like, and felt it should be able to at least power into standby and wake via remote, but i guess its still technically betaish on the software side. the lights on mine do flicker a bit when idle.. i guess it will depend on how many service or other background addons you have going in xbmc, like library watchdog/auto update and the like.. those will continue using the same amount of processing power when you arent using the unit and will cause the lights to flicker.

i have a power meter, but have yet to check actual power usage while idle, and if it bounces when the lights are going cause my htpc its replacing ran at 50watts idle and would go to 150ish when playing content, so this i feel is negligible.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3450 i was looking into something like this, but i like the "instant on" feeling of xbmc being ready when my screen turns on, but i work from home currently, and my timing for watching stuff is random through the day, so i can see if people watch things on a schedule (off work hours) and why its a priority to switch off devices.
Appreciate your insight and response.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Powering ON/OFF0