OS X Video stutter or no sound.
(2012-08-13, 22:31)asutton Wrote:
(2012-08-12, 17:17)davilla Wrote: There is a bug with 10.7+ (including 10.8) where if you are using optical/coax out and play something passthough (ac3/dts) then pcm output gets broken. I looked into this for a few days, there is nothing wrong with what we do, it's an OSX issue. Bug Apple about it.

EDIT: Hog mode does not matter either Smile

How can this be the case? XBMC Eden worked perfectly fine on 10.7 with passthrough using optical/coax. Only after the upgrade to 10.8 did this become a problem but you say the issue is present in both. For me the problem persists with the latest stable build and the nightlies.

We have switched from 10.4 SDK to 10.6 SDK. Think this should shed some light on how this is possible right?Undecided

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-08-14, 07:56)endeler Wrote: I can confirm that this bug is present on OS X Lion as well as on ML. I've tried with the latest build from xbmc.picmania.org. Hardware acceleration can't be activated either; mkv's are flickering green like there's no tomorrow. I'm running all that on a mac mini 2011 (AMD HD 6630M, 4GB RAM, A/V via HDMI). If any developers need some debug logs please let me know; I'm happy to provide them to you. I'd love to see this mac running XBMC smoothly :-)

I don't know who xbmc.picmania.org is nor have any clue what version they might be supplying, you should really be pulling nightly builds from our nightlies at http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies
The problem is that I need the pvr-integration and therefore have to stick with either opdenkamp oder margro fork. I understand that you cannot provide support for all kinds of forks, but the error with your nightlies is the same.
(2012-08-13, 07:46)toiva Wrote:
(2012-08-12, 17:17)davilla Wrote: There is a bug with 10.7+ (including 10.8) where if you are using optical/coax out and play something passthough (ac3/dts) then pcm output gets broken. I looked into this for a few days, there is nothing wrong with what we do, it's an OSX issue. Bug Apple about it.

EDIT: Hog mode does not matter either Smile
Good morning sir. How is it a problem with the OS if everything works correctly in Lion/Mountain Lion with Eden, but not in nightly builds? I would be inclined to say that there's something wrong with the Audioengine. Even some posts in this thread are saying that optical works as it should with Eden and (M)Lion. Are you saying that it's implemented correctly in XBMC and Apple should fix OSX so that XBMC audio output won't break?

I'm just trying to understand what's going on. If there indeed is a bug with the optical out, should i create a separate thread for this same happening with HDMI audio?

Well, setting both OSX and XBMC to 5.1 and disabling ac3/dts passthrough helps and there's no loss of audio when switching between different formats. But, it sounds horrible. I immediately noticed that the center channel is way too loud, and it sounds very much like surround channels are mostly coming out of the center too.

This also seemed to mess with video decoding atleast on one x264/dts file that works fine with passthough enabled.
fixed, you can thank amet for chasing down some differences in the sea of code between Eden and mainline.
Fixed? tried nightly from aug 14. still problems on avi files after playback of mkv or other digital files... no audio and stuttering picture..
Mac mini mid 2010
You need today's nightly build when it's ready
The commit doesn't say anything about HDMI but it is fixed aswell. Thanks Amet.
Many Thanks guys this is working well for me with todays build, and no annoying "pop" when switching between file types now, Smile

Just need it to hit the PVR nightly's then i will switch over.

Thanks a million!!!!! Big Grin

No issues switching between digital and non digital audio, no stutter on picture playing avi files. Everything seems to run perfect!!

No more updating osx or xbmc for the future.

If it ain't broken, dont f.... Fix it..!!!!

This tread is solved!

Thanks again.
Mac mini mid 2010
I will remember you when apple throws the next OSX version on the market ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I just downloaded the nightly for today (the 20th) and I'm still having the exact same issue. After I've played one video with 5.1 audio over optical and switch to another I get no audio and picture stutter. Doesn't seem resolved to me. Am I missing something?
(2012-08-21, 05:38)asutton Wrote: I just downloaded the nightly for today (the 20th) and I'm still having the exact same issue. After I've played one video with 5.1 audio over optical and switch to another I get no audio and picture stutter. Doesn't seem resolved to me. Am I missing something?

Yes, a debug log (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutter or no sound.0