Nonlinear Stretch
I am migrating from MediaPortal and am surprised that there appears to be no Nonlinear Stretch option for 4:3 videos on xbmc Eden. Am I missing something?
(2012-08-03, 12:49)mbrickman Wrote: I am migrating from MediaPortal and am surprised that there appears to be no Nonlinear Stretch option for 4:3 videos on xbmc Eden. Am I missing something?

Go to settings and find the option to display 4:3 as - and choose the option that suits you best
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
Press the ok button on the remote while playing a video and it will rotate through the available options.
It would be helpful if someone could actually answer my question. So I will ask the question again in a less ambiguous way:

Does xbmc offer nonlinear stretch and if not why not?

For the record - I have worked out how to select playback modes for 4:3 but nonlinear stretch is not shown as an option.
Debug log please.
(2012-08-03, 19:54)mbrickman Wrote: It would be helpful if someone could actually answer my question. So I will ask the question again in a less ambiguous way:

Does xbmc offer nonlinear stretch and if not why not?

For the record - I have worked out how to select playback modes for 4:3 but nonlinear stretch is not shown as an option.

Is it such a hardship to press a couple of buttons on your remote when your movie starts and select non linear stretch in the media menu options?
If so then I would suggest you set default parameters for all movies in media menu
Hopefully this will resolve your problem
XBMC offers non linear stretch, but not on windows, and only when the glsl render method is enabled.
(2012-08-03, 20:19)bobo1on1 Wrote: XBMC offers non linear stretch, but not on windows, and only when the glsl render method is enabled.

I have set Settings/Video/Playback/Render method to "Advanced shaders (GLSL)" and still the same options for "Display 4:3 video as" namely: Normal, Stretch 16:9, Wide Zoom & Zoom. No nonlinear stretch. Similarly when playing a video my options are: Original, Custom, Normal, Zoom, Stretch 4:3, Wide Zoom & Stretch 16:9. Needless to say as this is not a windows machine as I posted on the Linux & Live support section.

Is this not what you meant?

(2012-08-03, 20:06)leepenny Wrote: Is it such a hardship to press a couple of buttons on your remote when your movie starts and select non linear stretch in the media menu options?
If so then I would suggest you set default parameters for all movies in media menu
Hopefully this will resolve your problem

If you are going attempt sarcasm, you should try to understand the posting first as otherwise it makes you look a little stupid. The issue is that there is no 'nonlinear stretch' option on movie playback. So you can not set it with a couple of button presses or make it default for all movies.
Im using ubuntu - play a video file - open media menu on screen - you have audio and video options - can you select non linear stretch in video options?
If no joy I will post screenshots (if really necessary) even better show me your screenshots please
Also wasnt trying to be sarcastic (as it is the lowest form of wit...but also the hardest) only replying to the fact that your question was a little bit sketchy and was answered by a dumbed down question which still didnt clarify the problem (which is why you were asked for a debug log as well)
As for making myself look a little stupid ......well all I can say is that if you want help i'll give it to the best of my ability and help you to get a resolution.
Wide zoom is the non-linear stretch.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-08-04, 01:38)jmarshall Wrote: Wide zoom is the non-linear stretch.

Wide Zoom is not a non-linear stretch. It is a linear stretch except that the stretch ratio is slightly different in the x and y plane (unlike zoom where the stretch ratio is the same). Let me explain: in order to make a 4:3 video fit a 16:9 screen you must either loose pixels or distort the image (ie change the pixel ratio) or put up with black bars. This is how the various modes work:
  • Stretch 4:3 - retains the original pixel ratio and stretches the image equally in both directions so that the vertical size matches the screen height. However this does not fill the screen in the horizontal plane so the video is displayed with black bars left and right. No distortion, No missing pixels, Black bars.
  • Zoom - goes one stage further and continues to stretch the image until the horizontal size matches the screen width. However pixels on the top and bottom are now off screen and thus missing. No Distortion, Missing pixels, No Black Bars.
  • Wide Zoom tries to improve on zoom by stretching the image slightly less in the vertical plane than the horizontal plane to retain more pixels at the cost of some distortion (slight squashing of the picture). Mild distortion, Less missing pixels, No Black Bars.
  • Stretch 16:9 - like Wide Zoom, the image is stretched by different ratios in the vertical and horizontal planes so that the vertical size matches the screen height and the horizontal size matches the screen width. However the image is even more squashed than with Wide Zoom. This fills the screen and retains all the pixels, but at the expense of image integrity. People appear short and fat. Maximum distortion, no loss of pixels, No black bars.

In each of these cases we either have: black bars, missing pixels or unacceptable distortion.

Non-linear Stretch tries to overcome this as follows: like Stretch 16:9 the image is stretched in both directions until the vertical and horizontal sizes match the screen height and width. However instead of using the same stretch ratio across the whole horizontal plane (linear stretch), it varies the ratio (non-linear stretch) so that pixels in the centre of the screen are un-distorted but the rate of distortion slowly increases as you move to the horizontal edges of the screen. Note that stretching in the vertical plane is linear. The distortion is therefore negligible in the centre of the screen where most of the action takes place. Whilst the distortion at the edges is greater that Stretch 16:9, this is not very noticeable in practice. The result is: Acceptable distortion, no loss of pixels, no black bars.

MediaPortal does nonlinear stretch very well. People appear natural and the video seems like it was shot in 16:9 mode. Only on some panning shots do you notice the distortion at the edges, but this is a very small price to pay for the more realistic presentation.

Now back to my original question - Does xbmc have a non-linear stretch mode as described above?
definitly no - and it still sounds scary... Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-08-04, 12:30)Memphiz Wrote: definitly no - and it still sounds scary... Wink

MediaPortal manages this so not impossible - also MP is Open Source as well so there should be plenty of clues. Who do we talk to to get this into xbmc?
(2012-08-04, 16:28)mbrickman Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 12:30)Memphiz Wrote: definitly no - and it still sounds scary... Wink

MediaPortal manages this so not impossible - also MP is Open Source as well so there should be plenty of clues. Who do we talk to to get this into xbmc?

A dev like Memphiz Wink

The main problem will be that probably no dev is interested in making such a thing happen.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Congratulations on your excellent feature request, you've just requested something that has been available in XBMC for over two years.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nonlinear Stretch0