• 1(current)
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels
Movie is Kick-Ass with DTS-HD 7.1 sound. Ripped from Blu-ray to MKV without transcoding video nor audio.

MediaInfo reports:

Code:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 1h 57mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 3 349 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Title                                    : Lossless
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

XBMC reports:

Code:
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]: Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'nfs://192.168.1.10/volume2/Video/Movies/Adults/Kick-Ass (2010)/Kick-Ass.2010.1080p.DTS-HD.h264.mkv':
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:   Duration: 01:57:12.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 33754 kb/s
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 48 tbc
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: dca (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 1536 kb/s
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Metadata:
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:       title           : Lossless
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.2(dan): Subtitle: pgssub

Bug or missing feature in ffmpeg that it only sees it as 5.1 when it is in fact 7.1?

Problem exist in both Frodo and Eden.
Have you checked your Audio device setup?

You also need to post your full debug log...
My audio device should not have anything to do with what ffmpeg reports the MKV contains? Audio setup is HDMI 7.1.
DTS, AC3, LPCM capable setup.

If wanted I can post a link to a sample in a PM to an interested dev.
I'm no expert on HD audio stuff, but I think the DTS-HD stream is 7.1 while the encapsulated core one is just 5.1 and your setup only supports the core stream as you described. Thus ffmpeg is returning core one. Just guessing.
Well, there is input and there is output.

Input: The file itself containing DTS-MA with a DTS Core track embedded for backward capatibility. As you can see MediaInfo shows both these as 'MA / Core', '8 channels / 6 channels' etc...
Output: My hardware is not capable of bitstreaming HD, but it is capable of playing 7.1 via LPCM.

XBMC should detect all channels in the video regardless of what it can actually output. If I was using 2.0 analog output, it should still list the video as 7.1 and downsample it to 2.0 when playing. Which it actually does, except from the 5.1 core track. It should not list the video as 2.0 because I have set XBMC audio settings to this (which it doesn't).

ffmpeg should return "both" tracks to XBMC which could then list it as either 7.1 or 7.1/5.1. Either ffmpeg does not fully support HD tracks, or XBMC does not parse the output of ffmpeg properly with DTS-HD.
Is your receiver hooked up with HDMI?
Linux and AMD gfx perhaps?
AWXi - Ajax web interface. Wiki
Does your system play the audio track as 7.1 or 5.1? I have tested DTS-HD MA 7.1 content on my system and it plays perfectly. I did check the info on the track as it was playing and it did show as 5.1 but it is definitely playing 7.1 though so maybe it is just a bug in the info being reported?
Yes, everything is connected with HDMI but I cannot see how output has anything to do with detection of content of an audio stream in the MKV?

Does not matter if I scrape movie on Windows PC or Ubuntu.

XBMC Frodo plays it as 5.1 (LPCM). I can see the channels in the display of the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR876).

I can get it to play in all speakers using a matrix mode on the receiver, but that is beside my point and perhaps what you experience vicbitter?
No, my receiver sees the stream as DTS-HD MA 7.1 and plays it perfectly...

As I said before can you post your full debug log

Also, what is your XBMC setup? ie. OS, Graphics card, etc
Of course bit streaming the audio will work fine but my hardware does not support this, so I rely on Xbmc's ability to decode the audio to 7.1 and send it as lpcm
XBMC only decodes to 5.1 AC3.
No it doesnt? It decodes to any number of channels you set up (analog). And with the new audioengine can decode 7.1 to lpcm which enables support for hd audio on older hdmi standard.
Have you tried turning off 'DTS Capable Receiver'

Also have you also tried enabling True HD and DTSMA-HD capable receiver? Your receiver is a True HD/DTSMA-HD receiver as per specs.
vic, your receiver only sees it as DTS-HD because your XBMC hardware can bit stream HD.

None of my hardware is able to bit stream HD sound. Therefore I need to use LPCM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_puls...modulation) which supports up to 8 channels.

Not that it should matter in the scope of this thread/problem, I use Windows 7 with XBMC eden. nVidia 9800 GT. Apple TV 1 which has nVidia something and Broadcom xxxx15 for decoding HD video.
giftie, Why should I turn off DTS capable receiver when DTS (Core) works fine as it is? For my hardware it makes sense to setup 7.1 channels and enable DTS, AC3 and LPCM.

If I enable True HD and DTS-MA HD, I will get either nothing or static noise because my hardware is not able to bit stream these formats. I need to have XBMC decode these formats to a LPCM format which can be sent over older HDMI equipment.
My receiver supports the HD formats but that does not help me when my XBMC HW does not.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels1