• 4(current)
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels
(2014-06-09, 11:09)jjd-uk Wrote: We can take negative criticism just fine, what we can take issue with is people's tone and frankly yours is rather dismissive of the hard work put in by the dev's for free.

Ah, TONE. Like "cosmetic pussy shit" doesn't indicate a tone problem on your end where the words "sadly" or "broken" does on mine. Gotcha. Wink

Hey, I used to be a VPinMame table developer for 7 years and released over 30 damn near commercial quality reproduction tables that were all FREE. I had PLENTY of both positive and negative feedback and tones were all over the map. That did not excuse me acting immature because someone didn't praise me constantly. Actually, I got pretty tired of the sycophants acting like and even calling me a pinball god. But when they reported issues that were legitimate, big or small I did my best to address them. Telling someone I misspelled a word in the custom dip menus would not result in me telling them stop with the cosmetic pussy shit.

Quote: You used the the word BROKEN which is a complete over reaction to a minor cosmetic issue, in no way does this mean Gotham is broken, in fact Gotham is probably the best & most stable release we've done.

OMG! I used the word "broken" to infer the GUI was telling me incorrect channel information. I'll remember to walk on egg shells next time for your delicate ego. I don't know how you'd react if I'd used the word "shit" like you did. I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack. Wink

Quote:The patch was provided on Github on the 22nd April which was after the release of Beta 4, while in Beta phase only bugs fixes for playback issues or anything that would majorly affect the user experience, the same goes for the point releases since. This is not even a bug as ffmpeg is behaving exactly the way it was designed.

Yes, it's designed to incorrectly report information. It's not a bug. It's a feature. All I know is that if it says stereo, I expect stereo. If it says 4.0, I expect 4 channel. If it says 5.1, I expect 5.1 channels, not 7.1. Yes, I get it. Ffmpeg wasn't designed to handle 7.1 DTS-HD MA, but XBMC can handle/pass it along so you'd expect it to read the channels correctly. The point is a patch is better than nothing until the day someone addresses it in Ffmpeg. What if they don't want to address it? I mean why would they care about handling 7.1 channels internally if they can't parse 7.1 DTS-HD MA anyway? It sounds like a chicken/egg situation that won't go away until the day if/when they do handle it fully, not just recognizing the file's true content. All I know is that "Media Info" here has no trouble telling it's 7.1. Handbrake (which also uses Ffmpeg) has the same issue. It won't even offer a 7.1 encode option, but it can pass it along. The trouble is you may not even know it's there depending on the movie since a 5.1 soundtrack will look just like a 7.1 one in the drop down menu. They don't really care either, BTW. I don't think they actually watch movies they encode. They just like encoding them or something.

Quote:You've also clearly not read Github either where there are code concerns, we could patch XBMC but every new patch complicates the XBMC code, we prefer this sort of patch to done submitted directly to the dev's of the relevant library (in this case ffmpeg) we so don't have to carry custom patches, plus everyone in the open source community then benefits.

It comes down to whether they will take a patch either. I think no one wants to own this one and they blame it on DTS not having open codecs. That also prevents me from encoding 7.1 into 6.1 ES instead which would work on my one older receiver on my other system (which doesn't do DTS-HD MA and DolbyTrue directly) since to encode anything into DTS, I'd have to buy their commercial encoder license. It sucks to be legal sometimes.

(2014-06-09, 16:33)furii Wrote: a) do you seriously pick a movie to watch by the number of audio channels in the stream?

No, but when demonstrating my system to others, I like to show-off something that uses all my speakers. Frankly, at first I didn't even know if it was intact in my encode since my older receiver didn't do DTS-HD MA and everything kept reporting it as 5.1 until I found the Media Info app for the Mac. The point was I didn't want to have to dump/encode the movies all over again later. I'm dumping as I get them and it's time consuming since I've been converting my DVDs to Blu-Ray lately and I've probably been buying 20-30 movies a month and I really DON'T want to have to encode them again in the future. Of course, only a fraction are 7.1 to begin with, but they are starting to add up.

Quote:b) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library_tags

Creating an external tag is not what I'm referring to. I'm not aware of any tagging software that makes that simpler whereas Subler and MetaX on the Mac will tag MP4/M4V files semi-automatically for you, storing them in the file itself and a program like iTunes that reads the meta tag data will then sort them automatically when added without any external scrapers or file naming conventions ever needed again. XBMC can read music tags (same tag format since renaming a movie as a music file will show all the major relevant tag data then and the picture), but not movie tags. One developer showed interest about three years ago when someone reported that the music reader reads the same tag data just fine, but I guess he changed his mind or is too busy to bother for the past three years so it's scrape or nothing. I simply avoid using XBMC's interface for movie watching most of the time. But when I go to a 1080p 3D projector, I was planning to use CrystalBuntu with my 1st Gen AppleTVs as most people seem to prefer that to the newer ATVs and the ATV Gen 3 still can't be jailbroken to even use XBMC so that would mean converting and/or re-encoding a lot of AVIs to MP4 in order to even watch them, and in the case of files I can't re-encode from a better source, I'd only make the video quality worse.

I prefer XBMC's TV Show interface to the AppleTV one, but I prefer AppleTV's movie interface (with genre sorting and automatic tag reading) to XBMC's. I've got all my TV Shows relabeled for scraping (the M4V ones are mostly tagged already too and can be watched from either), but the last time I attempted to scrape the movie database there were dozens of wrong scrapes and some didn't even exist in the database at all. I've since rebuilt the databases switching from SMB to NFS and didn't bother to scrape again since I'd have to manually fix them all over again and I found myself using Apple's interface for movies anyway save newer DTS 6.1 and 7.1 titles.

Worse yet, if I have multiple XBMC-running units around the house (and I do), they have to all be corrected for every single database. I guess using the external tags on the host might address that, but unless I can find something that will convert my internal tags to external compatible ones, typing out almost 1000 tags by hand doesn't really interest me, especially when they're ALREADY TAGGED in the file itself. Just like the XBMC devs apparently want ffmpeg to solve the problem instead, I want XBMC to read the tags so I and every other XBMC user on earth doesn't have to manually tag them all over again. I've tried to find an app that automates the conversion or something, but I haven't seen one yet. If someone knows of one, let me know.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2014-06-09, 21:34)VonMagnum Wrote: Ah, TONE. Like "cosmetic pussy shit" doesn't indicate a tone problem on your end where the words "sadly" or "broken" does on mine. Gotcha. Wink

Its not a tone problem on jjd-uks end nor on TEAM XBMCs end. If i say cosmetic pussy shit then this is exactly my opinion on it (like yours that gotham is broken).

in Gotham 13.x
1. on atv2 is crashing all over which makes it nearly unusable when using the HW Decoder
2. on osx the audio channels are mapped wrong when using pcm and when using passthrough it is async (pestilence or cholera)
3. on osx some studio audio cards or other audio equipment with multistream device don't work at all or give hissing
4. on osx planar audio devices are completly broken
5. alot of other ios and osx specific stuff.

This hogs a lot of my time - so its clear for me that i stand to the fact that showing 5.1 instead of 7.1 in the ui is cosmetic pussy shit.

Also the fact that we only accept patches we are thinking we want to have is something which can annoy you like hell of course - but our devs need to maintain and support anything which is contributed - so contribution is not easy if its not done in a way the devs can live with. Just accept that fact - thats how it is with XBMC atm (until there are new devs which don't care about code burdon). Sry that it hit your post here (there are alot of other posts where i could have ranted) - i do so once in a while and also proposed a ranting friday for developers in a dedicated forum thread at some point (which was not taken serious ...).

So yeah i appologize for hitting your thread - but not for my opinion nor for "cosmetic pussy shit" ... (and most important - don't blame team xbmc - i am an individual person here ...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just to add I don't think it's been decided not to add that patch, it's only been suggested to try submitting something to ffmpeg first before a final decision is made, either way any solution will likely be added in v14 Helix builds only. All the dev's have been very busy with the release of Gotham and ironing out the major bugs, so that PR has likely just slipped off the radar for now while the more important things are addressed.

Note in my eyes a bug is where something is not performing as it was meant to work which is not the case here, ffmpeg is performing exactly as it was coded to do so, therefore if I was to give the issue a tag then personally I'd call it a design flaw.
It's not only about writing code but also maintaining the code. The mentioned patch adds 550 lines of code just to make an icon show 7.1 instead of 5.1
Who guarantees that nothing breaks if we added this code?
(2014-06-11, 09:55)FernetMenta Wrote: It's not only about writing code but also maintaining the code. The mentioned patch adds 550 lines of code just to make an icon show 7.1 instead of 5.1
Who guarantees that nothing breaks if we added this code?

me Smile

basically there is 540 line of code inside one function that is called only for dts-hd ma and it does not seem to break anything... using it on everyday use since i submitted the patch ...

btw to apply the patch against master a small fix is needed ; as i m using gotham 13.1 tag i m keeping it like this until anybody need it
Also I've noticed if you press the "o" button on the keyboard to get the decoding information for CPU/Audio/Video, that despite my amp receiving a 7.1 signal, it reports the audio as a 5.1 output, this is clearly a bug on here also.
(2014-08-27, 20:44)cityboy Wrote: Also I've noticed if you press the "o" button on the keyboard to get the decoding information for CPU/Audio/Video, that despite my amp receiving a 7.1 signal, it reports the audio as a 5.1 output, this is clearly a bug on here also.

I can remove passthrough capability for DTS-HD MA, then this "bug" will disappear too Smile
+1 Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Come on guys. This is ridiculous... I did not know that only crashes should be reported and not pussy shit minor problems like this.

Of course crashes should have higher priority and stuff like this have much lower priority. I still think it should be trac'ed for a rainy day as it is not right that XBMC reports 7.1 as 5.1.
My initial post was just to inquire if it was indeed a bug in XBMC or a missing feature in ffmpeg. The first we have control over, the latter we do not (unless we fix problem or add support to ffmpeg).
...and it's been said many times it's definitely NOT a bug but a missing feature in ffmpeg so take it up with them.
We are waiting for DTS-HD MA to be implemented in ffmpeg. Niels has applied for the bounty and hopefully he will come up with something soon: https://www.mail-archive.com/libav-devel...54587.html
+1 for the ranting friday.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-31, 10:56)fritsch Wrote: +1 for the ranting friday.
dang, I missed it again
As said above, actually you can get 7.1 detection/display only by applying this patch on the 13.x branchs : https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4586
Im using it for months and it works great either for mkv or bluray dump ;
it is a custom parser that read the header of the first dth-hs ma frame in the stream and extract the extended details.
The patch is not added to xbmc/kodi cause the main devs prefer a solution around ffmpeg; personally i think that header parser could be the only solution for the upcoming wave of audio format that will be available only in passthrough like dts-uhd / dts-atmos / auro 3D and not implemented in ffmpeg like dts-hd ma

Some screenshot of my local install :

(2014-09-09, 15:24)malosasha Wrote: personally i think that header parser could be the only solution for the upcoming wave of audio format that will be available only in passthrough like dts-uhd / dts-atmos / auro 3D and not implemented in ffmpeg like dts-hd ma
Then please go and convince the ffmpeg dev's by submitting a patch to them, that way if it's accepted then all ffmpeg open source projects will benefit.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels1