banner.jpg and the Thumbnail Cache
How does XBMC handle banner.jpg files, because it seems to me like they're not actually stored in the thumbnail cache. When I'm using a skin that supports banner.jpg, it's as if XBMC looks for the file, then if it exists, it loads each one. With over 100 TV shows, this takes quite a bit of time. Plus, if I let the skin load a page of banners, then I scroll down and fill the screen with banners that haven't yet been loaded, then scroll back up to the ones that were previously loaded, it has to look for the banner.jpg file again to reload it!

On the other hand, if I switch to a view that uses poster.jpg, none of these issues occur and pages full of posters loaded almost instantly.

Any thoughts? If my description is a little confusing, I can take pictures to explain things a little better.

I should mention I'm using the latest version of OpenELEC so I'm not certain if this issue is exclusive to that or not.
Nothing you can do about that. This will hopefully change in the next version of XBMC Frodo12.0
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
So is that right then? banner.jpg files aren't actually added to the thumbnail cache and that's why they're loading slow?
(2012-08-03, 21:52)wolfbiker Wrote: So is that right then? banner.jpg files aren't actually added to the thumbnail cache and that's why they're loading slow?

They are added however they are checked first on the drive like you said.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hmm, strange! Thanks for the information though, good to know I'm not going crazy.
poster.jpg and banner.jpg, assuming that is what the skin is loading (it's not obvious that it is at all) are handled identically. Neither is handled internally by XBMC, so it's completely on the skin.

The skin requests the image to be loaded. XBMC's texture cache will cache either image and check for the cached one first.

My guess (and it's just that, a guess) is that the images that are loading quickly are likely those that XBMC itself has found during scan (folder.jpg, moviename.tbn) or downloaded from the online sources.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That's true, the folder.jpg images were found during a scan. The banner.jpg images I recently downloaded and simply dropped in the folder of each TV show. I wonder if they would load quicker if I rescanned my TV shows? But I wouldn't want to lose my watched/unwatched statuses (MySQL DB) in the process.
It won't make any difference at all, as banner.jpg is not read during scan.

Still, it really shouldn't be slow either way.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

If you export your library as separate files you won't lose any of the watched statuses. It writes that to tag in the .nfo the export creates. Rescanning will read the .nfo then and restore your watched statuses.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
banner.jpg and the Thumbnail Cache0