Best XBMC setup for parents?
Hey guys

My parents want what i have, to be able to scroll through all your movie covers (The fanart view) and press on one and it plays that movie

I run a custom PC, XBMCbunu and have various tricks to get my harmony One to work

What i want to for them is a simple device, with HDMI that does 1080p rip easily off a internal or external connected hard drive

a device that is small in size and that powers on and off with a remote is important and a $150 budget (Already have the hard drive)

I thought of building them one out of an existing sff PC, but its too much of a pain when things muck up and have to buy too many extras for it. What are your thoughts?

I do like XBMC but if another embedded system offers the fanart style view of XBMC ill go for that in their case
Sounds like a 2 box deal, with an unobtrusive "set-top" box, and a server to feed it the files.

I'd just build something you're comfortable with. After all, you're the tech support! And you will be getting lots of phone calls....
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I set mine up with an ATV2 installed with Eden and a hard drive connected to their computer. The only thing they need to remember is to turn the computer on.

For the money I cant think of an easier solution for my parents. It wont display in 1080p (only 720) but will play the files as long as its hardwired.

+1 "you will be getting lots of phone calls"!!!

Media Server - Unraid v6, Intel G550, 4GB, 6TB

HTPC - Windows 10, Kodi 15.0, E4400, 2GB
I don't think my parents would cope with the ATV2 not booting straight into xbmc. Although I think I read that it's possible to do that with one of the firmware versions? My parents got comfortable (as comfortable as they'll ever get with any electronic device) with an ATV1 running Crystalbuntu. Advantage: you can store their core stuff on the internal drive, so nothing else needs to be on. Also, very simple remote. Disadvantage: you can't turn it off with a remote. In my neck of the woods you can still pick them up second-hand, although some sellers are aware of xbmc and use it as a reason to jack up their prices. And then there's Android... if you're prepared to wait.

When I set up HTPC's for other people I make sure I can run teamviewer on it.
I setup my parents a file server and then had it streaming to an atv2 wtih xbmc on it. While this was great an all my dad was having problems wtih buffering and movies not downloading from CP etc... So I just installed plex on the atv2 and then got him netflix. So with plex he has access to all my movies and tv shows.. and then he just fell in love with netflix since it has alot older content and music documentaries which he enjoys. He uses xbmc for the addons now like vevo.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Now with the upcoming XBMC for android i would go for a Pivos XIOS box, they seems to only be availble in US and Canada at the moment and the price is in the range of $99.99 - $130. When i find a reseller in Europe i will get one for sure.
The Sumvision Cyclone Nano+ is the same device as the Pivos XIOS DS.
But the Sumvision is only available in the UK Wink
(2012-08-03, 10:45)T800 Wrote: The Sumvision Cyclone Nano+ is the same device as the Pivos XIOS DS.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, i will check out Sumvision right away.

//Krister

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best XBMC setup for parents?0