Any way to give better access to themes for repo skins?
for the team members:

I´m creating a white theme for Nox atm
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137379

and, since we may not include themes directly, I´m wondering if some other way like adding a specfic download script for our skin to the repo is allowed.
i´d love to give users better access to this theme since it completely changes the look & feel of our skin.

thx in advance
oops, posted this in the wrong subforum Rolleyes would be nice if someone could move it to skin dev section. thx.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
You may include themes directly xeebo and pm3.hd both do it you just need too set it up in your repo properly. But given that nox was already pushing 100mb like theuni said on the mall list he might take issue with it being bigger again
(2012-08-04, 01:34)phil65 Wrote: for the team members:

I´m creating a white theme for Nox atm
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137379

and, since we may not include themes directly,
phil65, there is in fact a way you can include themes directly in your skin. From memory you need a theme directory in your skin that you then drop a sub directory of your image files in much the same way as you do with the current media directory. Then you just include a matching colour file in the colors directory of the skin.
(just spotted the Jezz_X beat me to it on this, but next part still valid)
Quote: I´m wondering if some other way like adding a specfic download script for our skin to the repo is allowed.
i´d love to give users better access to this theme since it completely changes the look & feel of our skin.
Again yes, if someone would like to take a script that I have and make it repo compliant, you can also do it this way. Until my skin was accepted into the main repo, I had a script that would pull a zip file from my googlecode page and then copy the required files to the correct locations within the directory structure. I tried shopping the script around to a couple of people, but they where not interested. Now I tell people if they want to use additional themes in my skin that they need to grab the script from my googlecode page and copy it back into my skin. The skin checks if the script is available and then shows the menu item in my skin settings menu.

As a added bonus, if someone was prepared to update and submit the script to the main repo, there would be very little work involved in allowing additional artpaks (etc) to be downloaded to your skin as well. Then there should be no reason why skins have to be 100+ Meg in size to download all of the additional graphics that people feel they need.

If you or someone else is prepared to run with the script idea, drop me a PM and I can show you what I have done with the idea.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
btw here is an example
Note the "themes" dir when it gets pulleed into the official repo it gets auto built into a seperate xpr
https://github.com/JezzX/skin.pm3-hd
and with alaska which has 5 themes
http://skin-alaska-revisited.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
ok, the technical part is not really the problem for me Wink
thaught i may not include themes directly, because wiki says this:
Quote:The following fileypes are not allowed: .so .dll .pyo .exe .xbt .xpr Thumbs.db

will see then how much i can reduce the filesize of the theme. we´re at approx 68 mb atm without the theme, so to say that we´re pushing the 100 mb mark already is a bit far-fetched Big Grin
should i discuss the rest with cory directly?
thx guys
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Think you kind of missed my point you don't ship the xpr,xbt you ship the original images in the themes dir in a folder which then gets converted into a xbt in the media dir named the same as the folder when theuni pushes it into the main repo

As for the 100mb just going off what theuni said in the mail list sorry if its wrong
To save space in skins there was mentioning some time ago about making a separate add-on for the mediaflags used in skins. That would save 20 MB alone in our case. Only disadvantage is that they arent in xbt anymore then. Backgrounds account for another 20 MB in Nox and are outside the xbt anyway. Maybe we can make a sort of background pack as add-on.
(2012-08-04, 10:16)Jezz_X Wrote: Think you kind of missed my point you don't ship the xpr,xbt you ship the original images in the themes dir in a folder which then gets converted into a xbt in the media dir named the same as the folder when theuni pushes it into the main repo

As for the 100mb just going off what theuni said in the mail list sorry if its wrong

ok, thx, misunderstood that, didn´t know that themes also get converted by you guys.. will ask theuni then if I may include it directly. If not, would it be allowed to add a download script to the repo?
or are such skin-specific scripts not allowed?
As long as the script is general and works for every skin out there "probably" yes (not my call in the end)

Basic Idea would be a service type script that took a URL as a command line option that pointed to your skins list of online themes the real hard part is getting it to extract to the right place. Sadly Confluence misses out again since its usually installed in write protected sections of file systems Sad
(2012-08-04, 11:03)Jezz_X Wrote: As long as the script is general and works for every skin out there "probably" yes (not my call in the end)

Basic Idea would be a service type script that took a URL as a command line option that pointed to your skins list of online themes the real hard part is getting it to extract to the right place. Sadly Confluence misses out again since its usually installed in write protected sections of file systems Sad

ok, then plan b would be a something like script.themedownloader(URL,DESTINATION).
thx for explanations.
(2012-08-04, 10:54)Big_Noid Wrote: To save space in skins there was mentioning some time ago about making a separate add-on for the mediaflags used in skins. That would save 20 MB alone in our case. Only disadvantage is that they arent in xbt anymore then. Backgrounds account for another 20 MB in Nox and are outside the xbt anyway. Maybe we can make a sort of background pack as add-on.

flag packs could still be possible within current Eden code. By creating a script that downloads them on first start and it save them within a fixed location in the addons folder. Or directly in the skin folder.
Problem is that on update all off the content is removed and you would have to download again. So it should be a folder in where the addon settings are stored.
With some work this could be simply achieved and save all skins that use those flags about 20megs.
Once the API from fanart.tv is up i can directly download the images that match the naming convention of MusicBrainz and push that into a .xbt which could then be downloaded by the script (or as loose images). Same will be in couple of weeks for movie studio flags that will match the namings on themoviedb.org.
So there will be a central location where you can get your flags from.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-08-04, 11:46)phil65 Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 11:03)Jezz_X Wrote: As long as the script is general and works for every skin out there "probably" yes (not my call in the end)

ok, then plan b would be a something like script.themedownloader(URL,DESTINATION).
thx for explanations.
phil65,

Go look at this script in my googlecode page. It is basically doing EXACTLY what you are after now. Really the only work required is to make it XBMC repo friendly (and possibly make it more general to handle other artwork). Called in my skin with RunScript(ThemeInstaller.py , URL). The main reason I have not done it myself is my python is not that great and I'm not prepared to provide support for this. Find a real python coder and your good to go.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

(2012-08-04, 15:47)wyrm Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 11:46)phil65 Wrote:

thx for explanations.
phil65,

Go look at this script in my googlecode page. It is basically doing EXACTLY what you are after now. Really the only work required is to make it XBMC repo friendly (and possibly make it more general to handle other artwork). Called in my skin with RunScript(ThemeInstaller.py , URL). The main reason I have not done it myself is my python is not that great and I'm not prepared to provide support for this. Find a real python coder and your good to go.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

nice, thx. will look at it. is the skin hardcoded or does it just use the skin it is called from?
(2012-08-04, 17:07)phil65 Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 15:47)wyrm Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 11:46)phil65 Wrote: ok, then plan b would be a something like script.themedownloader(URL,DESTINATION).
thx for explanations.
phil65,

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

nice, thx. will look at it. is the skin hardcoded or does it just use the skin it is called from?
phil65,

Completely skin independent (just checked, not entirely true. Uses strings from my skin instead of providing it's own localised strings). What the script does is to present a list of zip files stored at the URL location. User selects required zip file and script unpacks zip and places the .xml file in the color subdirectory of the skin and the .xbt file in the skins media sub directory. As I said there is no reason why it could not be made more general and just unpack the directory structure of the zip into the skins directory structure. The script currently does NOT conform to XBMC repo requirements (no addon.xml, no icon.png and I'm sure there are a number of python path issues that Spiff would have a cow over). As I said, python is not really my thing, so it was just easier to drop official support for the script in my skin. If someone else wants to run with this, be my guest.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any way to give better access to themes for repo skins?0