Intel or AMD for first HTPC Build
Hello guys,

Have been reading lots of stuff for building my HTPC. Was always triggerd to buy an Intel i3 2120 processor for it but lately i also see more AMD Fusion builds that have more powerfull onboard graphics ?

I was planning on putting it in a low profile case like the Nmedia 1080p.

This was the original idea for processor and motherboard :

https://azerty.nl/producten/product_deta...erbor.html

https://azerty.nl/producten/product_deta...ghz-2.html

First of i was trying to get a system to use the onboard graphics system so i wouldnt have to use an GPU but since 2 weeks i got my hands on a ASUS GT430 card.

So guys the main plan is building a HTPC without the 24p bug and be able to play anything in 1080p range and beyond for now and also using it a download client and such so not only streaming. What would be the best option ?

go for the Intel onboard, get a AMD with a stronger on board, or use this little bit out dated GT430 ?

Thanks for the help in advance !
if you stay on intel buy a h77 itx board. same price but more features like ib i3. dedicated gpu is needed if you want more than "htpc" like gaming. my hd2000 is perfect for me and xbmc but not for games. i plan to buy Asus P8H77-I and i3-3225 if available. i like it but i dont need it Wink without dedicatd gpu you can use a 60W pico-psu. 100% fanless and silent.

NL shop asrock h77
Its not really needed for gaming i think, I got a Desktop also wich is more than capable of that. Its more for like playing with pokerstars and such and be able to run sickbeard and new groups at the same time while watching a movie.

But the Ivy bridge is not available in i3 series right ?
ATM there are no Ivy i3 and Pentiums. Should be available in September.
They all have the 24p bug.
(2012-08-04, 10:59)witalik Wrote: Was always triggerd to buy an Intel i3 2120 processor for it but lately i also see more AMD Fusion builds that have more powerfull onboard graphics ?
For HTPC, both AMD and Intel iGPU's are equally capable of playback all blu-ray movies........there is no need for a discrete GPU.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-04, 14:50)assassin Wrote: They all have the 24p bug.

So any way i would go i would always have this bug ? I really hate when i am watching something and its not fluent or something like that. What would you recommend ? Is there anyway to get this done without the bug?
Quote:- SNB: every 5 minutes
- IVB: every 30 minutes

frame drop
link
(2012-08-04, 17:10)witalik Wrote:
(2012-08-04, 14:50)assassin Wrote: They all have the 24p bug.

So any way i would go i would always have this bug ? I really hate when i am watching something and its not fluent or something like that. What would you recommend ? Is there anyway to get this done without the bug?
You might not notice it at all, because I don't notice it with Intel HD2000, AMD HD5570, Nvidia GT430, etc......

I wonder, i would be gutted to find out i have this neat system running and i notice somethings while watching Undecided . Does the onbaord graphics from a i3 fit just any screen resolution ? In other words would it always fill my tv screen ? Its not nice of there still where some black beams on the screen.

Ok here is the list i got now,

http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmand...79863%5D=1

I can use True DTS and such on this Motherboard right ?

Only thing i need is a good PSU. One thing i really like and what i have in my desktop is a modulair one. Any recomendations on that one ?
The black bars are there because they are supposed to be. That's how the film was made. If you don't like it then zoom the movie but then you are missing some of the screen.

The integrated GPU is very adequate. They all "fill the screen" but you may still have black bars no matter what you use because you are supposed to as was the intention of the filmmaker.
Thanks alot btw all for the quick inputs i recieve ! Nice community here !
Basically, it doesn't matter which CPU you choose. The decoding is usually done by the GPU, so the CPU will sit around, doing not much. Personally, I have an Intel Dual Core Atom for my box.

However, for the GPU you should always use NVidia (which you have if you use your GT 430) as the drivers are most sophisticated.

If you plan to let the NAS run all the time, then you might want to waive local storage and boot from the NAS, or use a small or old, inexpensive SSD, so it will boot faster. Personally, I opted for a 1TB 2,5" disk, the underlaying Archlinux boots fast enough and I have some storage available so that I don't need to let run other storage devices at the same time.
(2012-08-05, 18:00)Zelos Wrote: Basically, it doesn't matter which CPU you choose. The decoding is usually done by the GPU, so the CPU will sit around, doing not much..........................

However, for the GPU you should always use NVidia (which you have if you use your GT 430) as the drivers are most sophisticated............................

I disagree with both statements.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-08-05, 20:53)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-08-05, 18:00)Zelos Wrote: Basically, it doesn't matter which CPU you choose. The decoding is usually done by the GPU, so the CPU will sit around, doing not much..........................

However, for the GPU you should always use NVidia (which you have if you use your GT 430) as the drivers are most sophisticated............................

I disagree with both statements.

David
+1, and I disagreed too.....he brought up very similar statements in a couple threads now.....Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel or AMD for first HTPC Build1