Intel or AMD for first HTPC Build
(2012-08-27, 09:51)witalik Wrote: Can anyone confirm this ? Should i be getting new RAM or can i use this Kingston RAM.

Because if i lower the voltage i wont have the benefit of using 1600 ram ?

You won't have the benefit anyways, the CPU doesn't support it. You don't need to buy new RAM, you can just step it down to run at 1333, that way if in the future you upgrade to an Ivy Bridge then you can use the 1600 and not buy new RAM.
So i got my HTPC up and running now for about 2 or 3 weeks. And it works flawlessly ! Watched a couple of movies and i must say i havent seen any glitching or somekind of that. Very happy indeed.

Only thing that bugs me is that i have enlarged the whole desktop screen and such but i wouldnt mind if it got any bigger in some sub menus and programs i cant read it because that font didnt really get bigger. Luckily i got a addon for firefox that will enlarge everything on the website that opens.

When i am at home ill make some pictures of the set and the inside of the HTPC Big Grin
(2012-08-27, 16:32)Arkitket Wrote:
(2012-08-27, 09:51)witalik Wrote: Can anyone confirm this ? Should i be getting new RAM or can i use this Kingston RAM.

You won't have the benefit anyways, the CPU doesn't support it. You don't need to buy new RAM, you can just step it down to run at 1333, that way if in the future you upgrade to an Ivy Bridge then you can use the 1600 and not buy new RAM.

Actually not the case, Intel recommend 1.5v ram not 1.65v so witalik won't be able to use his ram at 1600 with an ivybridge CPU (unless someones knows different).

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-09-15, 18:44)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-08-27, 16:32)Arkitket Wrote:

Actually not the case, Intel recommend 1.5v ram not 1.65v so witalik won't be able to use his ram at 1600 with an ivybridge CPU (unless someones knows different).

David

Thanks, did not catch the voltage when I read over his post. You are correct, IVB is recommended to use DDR3 1600Mhz @ 1.5v.

I don't have much experience with ASRock BIOS, would he be able to underclock the RAM to the voltage?
At this point the motherboard underclocked it by itself. on the boot menu i see that its downgraded to 1333 RAM
(2012-09-15, 19:40)witalik Wrote: At this point the motherboard underclocked it by itself. on the boot menu i see that its downgraded to 1333 RAM

What is it showing as the voltage and timings?

I will check this next time i am at home when i remember this !
Just do this, downclock the mem to 1333Mhz (bios already dont this for you). Down the vDRAM (voltage for dimms) to 1.5v and run memtest. If that passes, run Prime95 in blend mode, and if you really wanna be sure, run intel burntest with full memory availability after. If the ram stay's stable in these conditions, your not gonna run into problems later in time. These programs stress the ram more then you could even in your time of usage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel or AMD for first HTPC Build1