[NAS]: General hardware advice for an OpenMediaVault NAS
Hi there

I am currently looking into building a OpenMediaVault-NAS primarily for media and some document storage. Maybe a MySQL server (for XBMC) and bittorrent client should be able to run on it.
It should have space for extension therefore the 6 diskbay case from Lian Li.

My current hardware selection is the following:
Case: Lian Li PC-Q08B Mini-ITX Tower-Cube
Mobo: Asus P8H77-I, H77, LGA1155, PCI-E 3.0, Mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 BOX, 3.1GHz, LGA 1155, 2C/4T
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM ECC 4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, ECC unbuffered
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power CM L8, 530 Watt, 80 plus Bronze

To me the setup should suffice but since i am a little over my budget I want to know if there is some potential for optimization (speed and price).

Thank you very much in advance!
on their wiki you see that your system is absolut over powered.
Maybe a Pentium G620 should be enough. and you must decide which form factor you need. atx is most cheaper than mini-itx. i use an Chieftec Case so im able to expand more disks if needed.
Thanks!

I like the mini-itx and micro-atx cases for their compact size. But since there is a bigger selection for micro-ATX Mobo's (with sufficient amount of SATA ports) i decided to go with micro-ATX.
The Lian Li PC-V354B Micro-ATX offers 7 disk bays (and some more if you count the 2.5'' as well). That should suffice for my expansion needs (if not I can always install bigger drives or delete some old movies :-))

I revised my specs as following:

Case: Lian Li PC-V354B Micro-ATX
Mobo: Asus F1A75-M LE, AMD A75, Socket FM1, mATX (in my store this is still available)
CPU: AMD A4-3300 APU
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB, DDR3-1333, CL9
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L7-430W, 80 plus Bronze

or i take the Pentium G620 route:

Mobo: ASRock H67M-GE/HT, Intel H67, LGA1155, m-ATX
CPU: Intel Pentium G620 BOX, 2.8GHz, LGA 1155, 2C/2C

what are your thoughts?

the pentium have more power than A4. but both should do what you want. maybe a price question or power question. i dont like amd ATM but its your money Wink
or a celeron dual core G530.
That case seems expensive (Lian Li cases seem to be overtly expensive).
What about the Illusion. I got mine for $40
i think he want a small case but these are expensive. but fractal have a nice case. and its better for nas than lian-li.
and you have space for slow fans link

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NAS]: General hardware advice for an OpenMediaVault NAS0