Win issues on power savings option "Put display to sleep when idle"
That's my trac ticket :-D

Unfortunately the problem is not resolved.
Also pressent on Mac OSX, allthough it still sleeps the display (most of the times).
Still haven't figured out the pattern.

This feature is the best sleep timer ever :-)
The movie ends, display sleeps, tv turns itself off.
Thanks, mou - saw the trac comment! :-D

Does trac allow you to change the status to re-opened?

Hopefully it gets noticed in time for the 12.1 release!
So glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. I'm loving Frodo except for this and a little audio initialization change Smile
Okay, my issues were exactly as noted on the trac that was linked and I fixed it by disabling the screensaver.

The problem seemed to not be the same between my laptop and my media center btw. With the media center it would do exactly as noted, but with my laptop, the screen would shut off then turn on and then shut off again completely all right away.

Hope this helps!!!
Hmm... disabling the screensaver isn't a great option for me. I rely on the SS and power-saving modes (screen blanking and sleep) to protect my plasma TV.
I'm seeing the same thing with Frodo. Here are the details of what I have seen/tested.

I was unable to get XBMC to go into idle sleep - found it to be keeping the Directsound active, which was keeping it from sleeping. Switched to the WASAPI sound - which seemed to solve the issue for a period of time.

Not sure what happened between then and now, but Frodo refuses to idle/sleep or screensaver/dim no matter what I do. I tried changing skins, resetting idle values, even reloading Frodo on my same configuration.

This is only happening on one of my media center's running XBMC Frodo. The other two don't have this issue and I have no idea what the differences are. The other ones are even using the Direcsound audio and don't have this issue.

The one system refuses to dim the display on idle and it refuses to idle/sleep. It is only when Frodo is running. System sleeps fine in WMC and everything else.

I'm just glad it isn't just me - but what is driving me nuts is the fact that the other systems are not having this issue. I have yet to figure out what "broke" on this one system.

- Mark
Just wanted to +1 on this issue. I have Windows power settings configured for max performance (including sleep set to never), just to ensure they aren't conflicting with XBMC.

Release: Frodo Final
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 605e
Video: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (GF116)

Other than this issue (and an external player launch problem when using directsound for XBMC), still really loving Frodo!
Hope this gets fixed :-)
I attempted another try last night at figuring out why neither the screensaver - nor the idle timer was kicking in.

- Turned on debugging, didn't see anything obvious in the log. No change.
- Changed audio from WASAPI to HDMI/DirectSound, minimized XBMC to a window and changed the screensaver timeout to 1 minute. IT DIMS!!!

Changed XBMC back to fullscreen - keeping the different audio settings and dim is still working.

I'm still not exactly sure what causes this problem, but do believe it is somehow linked with various audio selections.

When I first installed Frodo, dim and idle sleep worked. Then it broke - and I changed audio settings to WASAPI and it seemed to fix it. Then it broke again. Now back to DirectSound and it is working again for the time being.

The only common thing seems to be audio related.

- Mark
I have this exact same issues as well. It appears that it's not working correctly in Windows.
Just wanted to report that I began running the following nightly build today in order to correct an AE crashing issue when using DirectSound as audio device in XBMC and an external player with WASAPI.

XBMCSetup-20130312-df6ef3a-master.exe

This is the latest nightly build available as of today (03-13-2013). It fixed the audio issue I was having, but I decided to test it for this issue and the issue remains. So far, it would seem there is no code available to correct this issue yet. I hope it gets corrected before release of 12.1 stable. However, I can use XBMC in full-screen window mode and set the Windows power options to turn off the display, which works fine for now :-)
Closest I can get to working around this issue is setting the Windows control panel 'Switch Display off' to '1 minute'. Then when the display is meant to switch off, Windows Power Saving kicks in and handles it a minute after the XBMC 'Put Display to Sleep' setting is meant to. Haven't tested with a paused video; though this works elsewhere.

Also using DirectSound (though don't think that's related)

Thanks to Muppet for this idea...

Hope to see this fixed properly in an upcoming nightly. Loving Frodo otherwise!
I can't replicate that with current master. Fullscreen and fake fullscreen go to sleep and the monitor turns off. Since there're no noticeable changes since frodo it should have worked there too. I'm on win8 64bit.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So I just updated to 12.1 to see if maybe it worked now and I found something new.

If you disable the XBMC screensaver (dim or blank) put display to sleep works.

If the either screensaver is set say to dim at 10mins then put display to sleep at 15mins (which is how it was originally set up for me) it will dim at 10mins then at 15mins blank out then immediately come back up with full brightness but items on the screen are slower (ie RSS slows to a crawl). Which is what everyone else here has been reporting.

I found that if I disable the screensaver (does it with dim and blank) put display to sleep works normally. Also tested with sleep first (5mins) and screensaver second (6mins) to see what would happen and the monitor still stayed off.

So it has to be an issue with the way the screensaver interacts with the put display to sleep. Again it all worked together correctly for RC3 for me.

I don't recall if I tested like this for 12.0. (I think I only tested with screensaver active) Could someone else try and replicate with 12.0 and 12.1?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
(2013-03-20, 03:44)Riot504 Wrote: So I just updated to 12.1 to see if maybe it worked now and I found something new.

If you disable the XBMC screensaver (dim or blank) put display to sleep works.

If the either screensaver is set say to dim at 10mins then put display to sleep at 15mins (which is how it was originally set up for me) it will dim at 10mins then at 15mins blank out then immediately come back up with full brightness but items on the screen are slower (ie RSS slows to a crawl). Which is what everyone else here has been reporting.

I found that if I disable the screensaver (does it with dim and blank) put display to sleep works normally. Also tested with sleep first (5mins) and screensaver second (6mins) to see what would happen and the monitor still stayed off.

So it has to be an issue with the way the screensaver interacts with the put display to sleep. Again it all worked together correctly for RC3 for me.

I don't recall if I tested like this for 12.0. (I think I only tested with screensaver active) Could someone else try and replicate with 12.0 and 12.1?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'm having exactly the same issue. 12.0 & 12.1 the same, and if I disable screensaver it works ok. Frustrating!
same here. but i found that if not setting screensaver but setting screen off timer, there is another bug: the music will stop playing when screen goes off...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
issues on power savings option "Put display to sleep when idle"2