Linux Fernetmenta's vdpau options
Ok, thats the same result that i got. Good to know! Now its time to get your VDPAU optimizations in the next stable XBMC version.
Wow! Now that was a find, wasn't it?

Glad you got sorted it out, keep us up to date! You are doing a great work in getting nvidia+linux better Smile

Any updates here?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Updates of what?
set this in xorg.conf

ColorRange "Limited"

problem solved this is what FernetMenta told me to do this is RGB but with the limited mode 16 black 235 white but still RGB i have this setting and everything i watch has the right black levels. trust me a stuggled for a long time with this issue as my tv is hooked up thorugh a AVR so i have to keep my video settings on my tv to also match my directv receiver which puts on out in yuv so my TV has to stay on the limited mode (known as hdmi Low) without this setting my xbmc would have crushed blacks and really bright wihtes unless i switched to HDMI normal which effectivly changes the tv to look for full range rgb which worked but then when i switched inputs it was a nightmare so i used the YcpBr444 setting which WORKED but limited gives a beter picture IMO probably because of what fernet said about coverting back in forth. so in conclusing MY question is? should i have interop YUV on or just RGB (sorry for typeos damn new keyboard)
(2012-10-09, 11:26)john.cord Wrote: Updates of what?

if the VDPAU Studio level is fixed
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2012-10-15, 20:14)lrusak Wrote:

Someone correct me if I am wrong... but isn't setting the VDPAU Studio Level effectively the same thing as setting the ColorRange equal to "Limited"? Or have I misunderstood something in some of the previous posts?

If that is the case, why fix the VDPAU Studio Levels at all? Couldn't you just make toggling the option in settings toggle the line in xorg.conf from ColorRange "Full" to ColorRange "Limited"? The only downside I see is a need to reboot... unless you can restart X on the fly.
(2012-10-15, 20:14)lrusak Wrote:

There is nothing to fix. According to FernetMenta the conversion is correct without studio level and wrong with it active so keep it disabled and you should be fine.
john.cord is right. At the application level there is only full range RGB, that's a given. Videos coming in at a different format are converted to RGB full range first. The vdpau studio level conversion is just wrong, ignore it.

If you set your graphics driver to limited, you add another conversion to the chain. Not ideal but sometimes necessary if the other end of the HDMI cable can not deal with RGB full range.

Quote:Couldn't you just make toggling the option in settings toggle the line in xorg.conf from ColorRange "Full" to ColorRange "Limited"?

Why toggling?
(2012-10-16, 09:47)FernetMenta Wrote: john.cord is right. At the application level there is only full range RGB, that's a given. Videos coming in at a different format are converted to RGB full range first. The vdpau studio level conversion is just wrong, ignore it.

If you set your graphics driver to limited, you add another conversion to the chain. Not ideal but sometimes necessary if the other end of the HDMI cable can not deal with RGB full range.

Quote:Couldn't you just make toggling the option in settings toggle the line in xorg.conf from ColorRange "Full" to ColorRange "Limited"?

Why toggling?

I think he got the problem that SD Content is sometimes too dark but thats not related to XBCM. Its a problem of the Display.
If this is the case, it's not a problem of the display. Video input streams carry information about colorspace in the sequence parameter set (SPS). According to this information XBMC (or hw decoders) convert the frames to RGB (0-255). The output to display is always the same and won't change when playing different content.
Hmm in my case it was the Samsung LCD in my Bedroom. I tweaked the Settings (Windows AMD with XBMC) to rgb limited and on the tv the HDMI Black level Settings and now it is perfect...
I'm new to this game, but according to my understanding (which might be wrong), studio level color conversion for VDPAU was introduced to keep studio levels when converting to RGB color space, thus preserving BTB and WTW information.

See old thread, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57276&page=4

Is there a way to output RGB limited, keeping BTB and WTW?

So, if we just use the default options, we will always output in RGB Full, and any videos that are not in this format, are converted over, right?
If we the output to YCR444 limited or whatever is called or even RGB Limited, are we converting the movies from YCR444 to RGB FULL and then back to YCR444 or whatever option? I suppose the 2nd conversion is done at X.org level, correct?

By the way, anyone knows what's the output of a bluray player? I ask because, in my case, I have the following setup:

TV to AVR
AVR to HTPC and XBOX.

Right now, since the HTPC outputs in FULL RGB, I've set the TV to Full RGB and the xbox 360 also to RGB Full. If I bought a bluray, what would happen? If I couldn't set the bluray to output in FULL RGB, I would have to set the XBOX to YCR Limited (no trouble here) and the HTPC too, thus doing double conversion, right? Would there be any way to omit this double conversion? Couldn't XBMC check what's the output mode (Full, Limied, RGB, YCR, etc) and do conversions directly to that?

Thanks
(2012-10-16, 09:47)FernetMenta Wrote: john.cord is right. At the application level there is only full range RGB, that's a given. Videos coming in at a different format are converted to RGB full range first. The vdpau studio level conversion is just wrong, ignore it.

Why toggling?

My Panasonic TC-P42G10 appears to only do RGB Full through the VGA port. If I do not set ColorRange to "Limited", the picture gets crushed.

While I am by no means a linux guru, I have no fear of command lines... so editing the xorg file does not intimidate me. For an inexperienced person using XBMC or Openelec, a way to toggle within XBMC may still be helpful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fernetmenta's vdpau options2