Completed my build
Hi

Thought I’d give an update on the build I finally went for after I started this thread.

I had a rethink as my build was really for a new solid Desktop PC which would also perform HT duties rather than a dedicated HTPC build. However it had to have the form factor of a HTPC and run quietly.

Build and prices I paid-

Case - Silverstone ML03 £60
PSU - Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES £45
CPU - Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570k (OEM) £167
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 £40
Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M £97
SSD - Crucial M4 128GB £75
Cooler - Coolermaster Geminll M4 £25
Optical Drive - LG BH10LS38 £60
Remote - Rii N7 mini keyboard £24

I’m currently using my old Western Digital 640GB HDD as internal storage for my Media. Want to get NAS soon.
I'm using W7 and XBMC.

Thoughts - Extremely happy. The performance is fantastic with excellent video and audio. It sits nicely in my equipment rack and is extremely silent. I have the CPU fan set to speed 1 (about 945 rpm) with a CPU target temperature of 45C so everything is nice and cool. The HDD is configured to power down when not in use. I was surprised how noisy HDDs are when you’ve a quiet system.

The video is connected to my plasma TV via HDMI for HT duties and to my desktop screen via DVI for 'PC stuff' when I’m at my desk. The audio is connected via digital optical to my AV Receiver (old Denon unit without HDMI inputs) for when in HT / music mode (configured in XBMC and WMP) and also to my desktop speakers via 2 channel analogue stereo. W7 audio default is set to the desktop speakers. This is great as I do not need to keep switching the audio default config depending on what I’m doing.

I can turn it on from full off (S5) with the N7 remote while I’m sitting on my sofa or by using my old Logitech wireless keyboard when at my desk. Boots in about 20 seconds. Brilliant. The Android Smartphone App for XBMC also works excellently.

I had a couple of problems - I experienced terrible screen tearing. This was resolved by setting my Plasma TV as the Primary Display in the Intel Graphics.
And the Rii N7 remote is annoying – it can be working fine then it will just freeze. Aaarrrhhh.

Overall I’m very pleased indeed. It does everything I want and will no doubt be a solid machine for years to come.

Cheers.
Looks so nice Laugh

It is almost what I am planning to build, so I'm glad to hear it works well for you.

Do you have any case fan's in your build?

What about your cpu cooler, do you think it's better than the stock cooler? (less noise)

Best regards, Henrik
No I'm not using any case fans.

The CPU is OEM - it didn't come with a cooler so I cannot compare.
I'm read the Intel stock coolers are good though.

Thanks.
I have a question about the PSU.
I'm planning to buy Silverstone ML03 and got recommendation to pair it with SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W.

What can you tell me about the PSU you've chosen?
Does it fit right?

10x
(2012-08-05, 20:23)embedded Wrote: I have a question about the PSU.
I'm planning to buy Silverstone ML03 and got recommendation to pair it with SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W.

What can you tell me about the PSU you've chosen?
Does it fit right?

10x
Because SeaSonic SS-350SFE is SFX form factor, and ML03 required ATX form factor....this "SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V" will fit in it....

If you really want SeaSonic SS-350SFE in ML03B, you'll need this "SFX TO PS2 PSU BRACKET"......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for making it out.
what do you think? what PSU to choose?
Seasonic SS-350ES 350W or Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES?

(2012-08-05, 21:38)embedded Wrote: Thanks for making it out.
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V or Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES?

I have no experience of the Seasonic but I am very happy with my Silverstone Strider.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-08-05, 21:46)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-08-05, 21:38)embedded Wrote: Thanks for making it out.
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V or Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES?

I have no experience of the Seasonic but I am very happy with my Silverstone Strider.

David

I can second this.
(2012-08-05, 21:38)embedded Wrote: Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES?
The Silverstone strider is an excellent choice for ML03B, and SeaSonic SS-300ET should be fine too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-05, 22:45)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-05, 21:38)embedded Wrote: Silverstone Strider SST-ST40F-ES?
The Silverstone strider is an excellent choice for ML03B, and SeaSonic SS-300ET should be fine too....

Thanks I will get one of those.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my build0