openelec HTPC (or windows in a pinch)
Question 
HI Guys,
I'm looking into building my first XBMC based HTPC. I have built WMC HTPC's before but I really like the look of XBMC.

My wishlist for this build is that it be an all-in-one solution (PVR, Blu-Ray, DVD, Media player).
My preference is to use Openelec (I know that BR is not natively supported by Openelec/Linux, but there are ways) as you can't beat the price and I wan't as much of an appliance feel as possible.

Of course if it all goes pear shaped with Openelec, I can/will go back to Win7.... but that is not my preference.

My shopping list so far is:

Intel DH61AG Mini-ITX Motherboard $124.99
Intel Core i5 3470 LGA1155 CPU 3.2Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge $199.00
Corsair CMSO2GX3M1A1333C9 2GB PC-10600 (1333MHz) SODIMM x2 $30.00
Bitfenix Prodigy $116.00
BD-ROM $0.00
Western Digital CaviarGreen 2TB 64MB SATA 3 $112.00
Kingston 60G SSD V+200 $58.00
Tuner HVR-2200 $0.00
USB 3.0 16GB Voyager Proven Durabilit Flash Drive Corsair $19.50
IR Receiver w/Cable and Custom Mounting Bracket for Intel CIR Motherboards $21.95

I am not sure if the SSD is needed if I run Openelec from the Flashdrive included here. I will definately grab one if I default back to W7.

I believe that the Tuner card in this build should work with Openelec PVR build??

Also, has anyone got any experience with the remote I have included here? Will it drive openelec/XBMC ok?

PLEASE be as critical as you like. Pull it apart and tell me what I have wrong, or right.Nod

Thanks for taking the time guys!
you might run into problems with this cpu / mainboard combination, as you need the latest bios version for the mainbaord to be compatible with ivy bridge cpus. So you might need to install an older sandy bridge cpu to get the bios updated prior to installing your i5 3470... most likely you want to get a newer board with the h77 chipset.

Besides, i'm not sure if openelec works with ivy bridge graphics.
Looks good, you will have issues playing back Blu-Ray as Linux doesnt support it because of DRM protection.
There is a way around it in OpenELEC but you will need to google.

That SSD is huge for OpenELEC, I was running mine on a 8gb SSD and had plenty of space left over.

The TV-Card should work fine I believe.
The i5 is overkill for OpenELEC, but hey if you got the cash, better is always a good idea Wink
Otherwise looks like a good build.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
The hardware in post #1 is way overkill for OpenElec. It is a good candidate for Windows 7. You'll enjoy Live TV, Netflix, BD, surfing the net, bitstreaming HD audio, etc with Windows 7...

If you still want to do OpenElec, Intel G620 and ZOTAC ZT-50604-10L GeForce GT 520 is more than enough for it......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for the advice chaps.

I did over-spec a little, mostly because if I decided that Openelec isn't my cup of tea, I can change to W7 lickity split.

So if I changed to an i3 2120 instead of the i5 I have there, would that make it better for XBMC/Openelec or just cheaper? I was hoping that by going to an IB i5 I might be able to limit the 24p bug as much as possible.

Would the Pentium be enough for W7 or would it drown in it?

Netflix isn't an issue for me as us lowly Aussies don't have access at the moment Smile

I don't mind experementing with Openelec, and as I say if it doesn't blow my skirt up I can change back to W7.

the pentium g620 will do just as good as the i3 - they both use the same intel graphics... and you dont really need more cpu power and/or hyperthreading to run typical htpc tasks (assuming you dont want to transcode blurays etc)

as bluray already mentioned, you might want to consider adding a cheap nvidia card in a linux environment... for a better overall playback and the possibility to bitstream hd audio - you can easily get a g620 cpu plus an gt520 gpu for the price of an i3
I run OpenELEC on an i3 2120t (really low power) and it works a treat!
I ran it using the onboard GPU and it worked fine, but I now have a dedicated gpu.

But either works really well
My full HTPC build log:
(2012-08-07, 15:38)SavellM Wrote: I run OpenELEC on an i3 2120t (really low power) and it works a treat!
I ran it using the onboard GPU and it worked fine, but I now have a dedicated gpu.

+1.....I run XBMC+Windows 7 on Intel HD2000, and it can playback everything I threw at it so far.....if it can handle Windows 7, it should be able to handle OpenElec too.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-07, 15:38)SavellM Wrote: I run OpenELEC on an i3 2120t (really low power) and it works a treat!

Thanks for the input all!
All the final specs are still fluid. I'm thinking of mabey going with a uATX MoBo to give me more options expansion wise. I don't want to get left with no option to change graphics card down the track with my tuner taking up the only PCI-E slot...

@SaveIIM, Why did you change your Graphics card? Did you go to Nvidia?
hi,

i am using Pentium G630 processor along with nvidia g210 graphic card, it plays mkv and mp4 wit ease. also played few BR ISO images they also played smooth.But when i tried playing m2ts demo files, the video was jerky and stuttering continuous motion for few seconds before playing normal. has any one experienced m2ts playback on openelec xbmc comments appreciated.

also nvidia 210 gpu plays with ease, but read elsewhere that 210 is not good gpu for htpc is it right?

do i really need a GPU upgrade or should i remove nvidia and use my built in GPU of PDC g630 processor? help appreciated...

TIA
(2012-08-08, 13:05)nimrod77 Wrote:

Thanks for the input all!
All the final specs are still fluid. I'm thinking of mabey going with a uATX MoBo to give me more options expansion wise. I don't want to get left with no option to change graphics card down the track with my tuner taking up the only PCI-E slot...

@SaveIIM, Why did you change your Graphics card? Did you go to Nvidia?

Sorry missed this...

Ye got an nvidia GPU just because im anal and like to have things to do what they are supposed to Smile
If it breaks I have no issues using the onboard GPU.

I just like/prefer a dedicated.
My full HTPC build log:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
openelec HTPC (or windows in a pinch) 0