Total Noob: Need input on build
First post. Ever. Anywhere. So bear with me.

I have been lurking as I want to bring myself into the 21 century. I am excited about what XBMC has to offer and want to set up my first HTPC. I have just started converting my CDs to FLAC and some of my DVDs (TV shows and movies) to ISO. Showed wife what it would look like and she was thrilled with the idea. Now just need good execution.

First thing. I want not just a bare minimum build, but something to function as a backup computer for internet, light gaming. After reading many threads I have come up with the following:

CPU: Intel i5-3570 Ivy Bridge w 4000HD
Mobo: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Case:SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B-USB3.0
Disk drive:SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB
CPU cooler: needed
GPU: none
BD: add later

I know many would consider this overkill for an HTPC. But I want it to perform well into the future as both an HTPC and general use PC.

I am starting with a single 2TB drive plus a 1TB external USB3.0 until I can save for building my own NAS. I have a spare old PC that could be used, but that's down the road a bit.

Any suggestions on this build? Will it fit in the case? Too tall of RAM? Is the PSU the right choice? Will it be quiet? Do I need a CPU cooler?

I have tons of other questions, so TIA for a response to this and any of my future threads/questions.

Motherboard won't fit.

RAM will fit.

PSU is good (don't forget a power cord)

I have all these recs and many more over at my blog in my hardware guide. I have done a lot of the research and testing already for you.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=160
I have read many of your posts and visited your blog. In fact, this is based off your recommendations. I guess I picked the wrong Silverstone. I tried to get the Silverstone you recommended, but with the USB3.0 ports instead.

No, the case is just fine. The board you picked is a ATX board and that won't fit in a m-ATX case.

I have a bunch of m-ATX boards that I like listed for you in the guide. The Silverstone GD05B USB3.0 is a relatively new addition to Silverstone's lineup. I will add it in my next guide revision. I would stick with the stock Intel CPU cooler as its actually quite decent for a non-gaming HTPC.
(2012-08-07, 05:38)2112 Wrote: I guess I picked the wrong Silverstone. I tried to get the Silverstone you recommended, but with the USB3.0 ports instead.
The Micro-ATX Silverstone case you selected is a great choice. If you want to enjoy the front USB 3.0, I'm suggesting this "GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H" motherboard....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
From what I see, the GIGABYTE does not have a CIR header. I really want to control XBMC easily with a remote. Does GB make MOBO with CIR? I will investigate, but at the moment, I think I will exchange my ATX board from ASRock with this one...

MOBO: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Assassin and Bluray, thanks so much.

Now I will keep my fingers crossed as I have never built a PC from scratch...
(2012-08-07, 16:54)2112 Wrote: MOBO: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
This mobo should work, and it seem that AsRock included both CIR and USB 3.0 headers in their new mobo.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Total Noob: Need input on build0