pvr API reference
I want write a pvr backend+frontend in XBMC, so, is there any API reference or documentation about writing PVR code??
why write a backend when there are numerous out there? why not help improve one already out there?
'coz I wanna write a simpler dvb application; full integrated in xbmc, with channels scan supported
(2012-08-07, 16:13)freakwenc Wrote: why write a backend when there are numerous out there? why not help improve one already out there?
For me personally I have hardware that doesn't quite fit the DVB, v4l2 (video for linux) or IPTV models. I could emulate it, but if I'm going to go that far, a full backend isn't that much more effort. I need something for Linux so MediaPortal is right out. MythTV sorta kinda supports my device, but MythBackend is a beast to configure and the 10-20 second channel changes are a non-starter. TVHeadend is very heavily DVB focused and I couldn't wrap my head around how to add an alternate driver. VDR... I think I found some installation docs, but even those were too sparse and really nothing technical.

@stevetech:

In a PVR tree look at
xbmc / pvrclients / pvr-demo
xbmc / addons / include / xbmc_pvr_dll.h <-- comments especially
xbmc / addons / include / xbmc_pvr_types.h

(2012-08-07, 20:18)propJohn Wrote: For me personally I have hardware that doesn't quite fit the DVB, v4l2 (video for linux) or IPTV models...
what is the hardware if you don't mind me asking?

(2012-08-08, 05:34)freakwenc Wrote: what is the hardware if you don't mind me asking?
SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. It's a 3-tuner network attached tuner device with CableCard support.

There's a DVB emulator for HDHR's but the Prime has special tuning requirements to activate the descrambler. I was able to hack limited support into TVHE a few months ago, but it was really ugly and I had to disable TVHE's descrambler support because it kept trying to decrypt the stream even though it was already decrypted. The Prime really needs direct support instead of pretending to be a DVB device.

MythTV does support HDHomeruns directly and that's what I currently have set up but those 10+ second channel changes are killing me. Whatever I wind up with must work as well as our current cable box. Frankly it's a piece of junk but channel changes are 4-5 seconds, so that's the standard. The Comparing PVR Options thread (here) suggests that relying on ffmpeg's demuxer is inefficient so replacing that should alleviate the issue.

I started writing my own PVR plugin because there was enough about TVHE and Myth that irritated me. XBMC's PVR API looks pretty clean and the comments in xbmc_pvr_dll.h are well done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr API reference0