Trying a nightly and not mucking up my real install?
Hello,

I would like to try out one of the Frodo nightlies but do not want to write over my current installation of XBMC (Dharma). I am using the mysql database in case that needs to be considered. Could someone tell me how I would do this? Would I have to install Eden first then Frodo overtop. Once again, how could I do this using my mysql database and not mess up the version of XBMC that I am currently using?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
You can name your current Eden install files and directories "xbmc2" or something like that. Then when you install Frodo, use all the defaults for install and it should install in a different location, and not overwrite any of your userdata.

EDIT - and then run Frodo in portable mode using the -p flag.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-08-07, 20:53)thrak76 Wrote: You can name your current Eden install files and directories "xbmc2" or something like that. Then when you install Frodo, use all the defaults for install and it should install in a different location, and not overwrite any of your userdata.

EDIT - and then run Frodo in portable mode using the -p flag.

Thanks...but I am not currently running Eden. Does it make a difference that I am running Dharma still?

Mark
Same process really. Just rename those directories so they don't get written over (including your .exe shortcut), and then run the new install in portable mode.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Typically the way i do my testing is to run both installations in "portable" mode. Add a "-p" to the end of the shortcut, and XBMC will run with all files contained in one directory, as oppsed to putting stuff in your AppData folder. That way, i can just run the shortcut for the version of XBMC i want to work with.
(2012-08-07, 22:07)Ryoga79 Wrote: Typically the way i do my testing is to run both installations in "portable" mode. Add a "-p" to the end of the shortcut, and XBMC will run with all files contained in one directory, as oppsed to putting stuff in your AppData folder. That way, i can just run the shortcut for the version of XBMC i want to work with.

Good to know. Thanks for the information guys.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying a nightly and not mucking up my real install?0