Adding Library Auto Update?
Lately I installed this script, and it's so good that I never want to live without it. Saves a lot of time updating&cleaning.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...uto_Update

How about including it in a future version of XBMC?
Why include this if there is an add-on?

Beside that there are some risks
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well, basically because when I started using it it made me think: "this is how XBMC should work right out of the box". Plugins are by their nature something that you more or less stumble upon. Which is okay for a lot of plugins, but in this specific case it's something that I bet a lot of people would appreciate.
I would 100% agree with that thought.
My parents run a HTPC, and as I didn't want to mess with plugins for them, I actually had windows reboot at 4 am to do a rescan.... Quick and dirty, but in all honesty, it would be great if XBMC just watched its folders....
(2012-08-09, 04:10)edrikk Wrote: I would 100% agree with that thought.
My parents run a HTPC, and as I didn't want to mess with plugins for them, I actually had windows reboot at 4 am to do a rescan.... Quick and dirty, but in all honesty, it would be great if XBMC just watched its folders....

Because as always it's sooooooo easy. Watching folders is basically only a real option for local drives (and even there it depends on the filesystem and the operating system being used). Anything that resides on a network share (or simply not on the same computer as XBMC) either requires special third party software (which again needs to be setup, configured and tested) or a polling behaviour which may not be such a good idea either depending on the type of source.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
There's another add-on that will watch folders and update the library when a new file is found: Add-on:Library watchdog (wiki)

Which is another point of why these things aren't enabled by default; there's many options. Some people don't change/add content very often and don't want to do things like an automatic update. Some people shutdown and open up XBMC often and updating upon start up is enough for them, and additional auto updates wouldn't do anything more than wake a sleeping hard drive. Others use media/download managers that remotely trigger a library update after downloading a new file.
(2012-08-09, 10:29)Montellese Wrote:
(2012-08-09, 04:10)edrikk Wrote: I would 100% agree with that thought.

Because as always it's sooooooo easy. Watching folders is basically only a real option for local drives (and even there it depends on the filesystem and the operating system being used). Anything that resides on a network share (or simply not on the same computer as XBMC) either requires special third party software (which again needs to be setup, configured and tested) or a polling behaviour which may not be such a good idea either depending on the type of source.

Smile
You're 100% correct Montellese... I actually was simply referring to local disks... using inotify / FindFirstChangeNotification ... But you're absolutely right in (what I read to be) "it's better to not implement it, than implement it only for local disks, and have a million questions about 'why doesn't it work for me? I have my files sitting on ....'"

Yup, I have my stuff on an external RAID encasing. If I forget to turn it on and XBMC starts scraping away, my shares might be wiped clean. Especially annoying because I've taken some time to fix music artist bios manually.
(2012-08-10, 17:26)HeresJohnny Wrote: Yup, I have my stuff on an external RAID encasing. If I forget to turn it on and XBMC starts scraping away, my shares might be wiped clean. Especially annoying because I've taken some time to fix music artist bios manually.

This is the biggest problem I have with the current setup. If for whatever reason my storage server decides to lock up or loose connectivity, my libraries get wiped out, and have to be rebuilt when the server comes back online.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
(2012-08-10, 17:26)HeresJohnny Wrote: Yup, I have my stuff on an external RAID encasing. If I forget to turn it on and XBMC starts scraping away, my shares might be wiped clean. Especially annoying because I've taken some time to fix music artist bios manually.

I haven't thought about that.. Pure luck that my library haven't been wiped out.
One solution for this would be that before auto cleaning should backup the databases. Maybe a future feature...
XBMC should not delete Media in case it can't mount the network filesystem where the files should be, or the mount point for the external HDD can't be found.

This is an essencial usability feature that PLEX already has for some time now. This might seem irrelevant for those who like to collect movies, but for those who need to delete movies frequently to free up space, it is a PITA to have to go and clean files manually everytime.

If/when XBMC fixes this, I'm ready to jump ship, until then with PLEX I must stay

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Library Auto Update?1