Can't connect to nfs from iPad
(2012-08-15, 22:53)Memphiz Wrote: no_root_squash would map remote user id to server user id - but would map remote id 0 (root) to the anonuser on the server.

...so it does the opposite ... it ensures nothing gets mapped to id 0 Big Grin

Ok, now I'm a bit confused.

"man exports" says the following:
Code:
Very  often, it is not desirable that the root user on a client machine is
       also treated as root when accessing files on the NFS server. To this  end,
       uid  0  is  normally  mapped to a different id: the so-called anonymous or
       nobody uid. This mode  of  operation  (called  `root  squashing')  is  the
       default, and can be turned off with no_root_squash.

By  default,  exportfs chooses a uid and gid of 65534 for squashed access.
       These values can also be overridden by the anonuid  and  anongid  options.
       Finally,  you can map all user requests to the anonymous uid by specifying
       the all_squash option.

Here's the complete list of mapping options:

root_squash
              Map requests from uid/gid 0 to the  anonymous  uid/gid.  Note  that
              this does not apply to any other uids or gids that might be equally
              sensitive, such as user bin or group staff.

no_root_squash
              Turn off root squashing. This option is mainly useful for  diskless
              clients.

all_squash
              Map  all  uids  and  gids  to  the  anonymous user. Useful for NFS-
              exported public FTP directories, news spool directories,  etc.  The
              opposite option is no_all_squash, which is the default setting.

anonuid and anongid
              These  options  explicitly  set  the  uid  and gid of the anonymous
              account.  This option is primarily useful for PC/NFS clients, where
              you might want all requests appear to be from one user. As an exam‐
              ple, consider the export entry for /home/joe in the example section
              below, which maps all requests to uid 150 (which is supposedly that
              of user joe).

I think you meant to say:
Quote:root_squash would map remote user id to server user id - but would map remote id 0 (root) to the anonuser on the server.

Tell me if you think the following is correct:
no_root_squash only turns off root squashing, but I wasn't connecting from XBMCBuntu as root, so no_root_squash probably had nothing to do with it, and It worked because I removed "all_squash". XBMCBuntu was probably able to connect because it was using uid=1000, and uid=1000 has access on the server.

XBMCBuntu would have worked just as well if I had neither used all_squash nor no_root_squash, and only said "192.168.1.0/24(ro,insecure)", because uid=1000 has access on the server - but it would not have worked from the iPad, because that runs as the uid=501.

If I had said "all_squash,insecure,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000", it should then send all access to uid=1000, and should then work from both the iPad and XBMCBuntu.

I'll test this and report back.

To recap, here's what definitely works so far:
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,no_root_squash,insecure) - gives access to XBMCBuntu with uid=1000, but NOT iPad with uid=501 because uid=1000 has access, but uid=501 is mapped to nobody (65534) which does not have access
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0) - gives access to XBMCBuntu with uid=1000 AND iPad with uid=501, because everyone is mapped to root (uid=0)
Here's what I predict will happen:
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,insecure) - will give access to XBMCBuntu with uid=1000, but NOT iPad with uid=501
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000) - will give access to XBMCBuntu with uid=1000 AND iPad with uid=501, because they are both mapped to uid=1000, which has access on the server
Does that sound right?

-Wes
yeah you got it and i mixed it up Smile - its easy once you know what all this means right? ^^
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-08-16, 22:58)Memphiz Wrote: yeah you got it and i mixed it up Smile - its easy once you know what all this means right? ^^

Yep, amazing how much you learn from the "man" pages.

Now I understand why people say RTFM. Wink

-Wes
Just to confirm my predictions earlier, here are the results:
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,insecure) - works for XBMCBuntu with UID 1000 (because UID 1000 has access on server) but NOT iPad with UID 501, which doesn't exist on server
  • 192.168.1.0/24(ro,all_squash,insecure,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000) - works for both XBMCBuntu AND iPad because anonymous users are squashed to UID 1000 which has access on server

This is accessing my NTFS export on my Debian macine.

So ignore my previous posts about NTFS needing root access; it just can't be anonymous access, it has to be a user that exists and has permission to access the resource.

Cool.
thx for the feedback Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't connect to nfs from iPad1