Win HDHomerun Prime - Backend Woes
I just got my HDHomerun Prime along with the cable card from Verizon FIOS. Scanning with the HDHR Gui Config tool works perfectly and picks up all of the channels, their names and appropriate Verizon channel number too. All three tuners can be tuned to a channel and watched using that config tool.

My backend PC is Win7 Home Edition. I have tried every backend setup that I am aware of and cannot get any of them to work. I could really use some advice from anyone that has gotten the HDHR to work on a TV backend server for streaming to the latest XBMC PVR build also on Win 7.

Here is a list of the options I have tried so far (in this order):

TVGuide Addon - I have tried creating the .strm files from the HDHR content (one for each channel) using the techniques shared here and on the silicon dust website. The built in ability of the Silicondust app does not support Win7. Generating them from a slightly modified Perl script (to run on windows) did not play in XBMC.

CetonTV - This is under heavy development but looks promising. Unfortunately, I am getting errors with this as well and still awaiting a response from the author in his development thread.

MediaPortal TV Server - Doesn't support ATSC for the HDHR (aka the prime). Unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I had everything setup and installed trying to troubleshoot why it wouldn't work.

For The Record - Website says it supports it, scanning picks up a large number of services, but trying to record one per the setup guide alerts saying, "ProgramIsScrambled" on any service (tried one that works in the HD Homerun Setup GUI to be sure).
Integrating with XBMC through the JSON-RPC interface?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

I'm a bit confused on the problem. You can't use the HDHR for scrambled channels on anything BUT Windows. It is a DRM issue. You can use digital channels fine though.
It says that it is scrambled for all channels. Are you saying that is to be expected from Verizon Fios? Why does it work on the same machine under the HDHR config GUI but not in the tv backed software packages then?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

(2012-08-09, 17:28)oneadvent Wrote: I'm a bit confused on the problem. You can't use the HDHR for scrambled channels on anything BUT Windows. It is a DRM issue. You can use digital channels fine though.
This is not entirely true. It works just fine for any channel marked copy-freely. Typically the premiums (HBO, SHO, PPV, etc.) are not. I've heard those are the only ones that FiOS doesn't mark copy-freely.

(2012-08-10, 03:31)propJohn Wrote: This is not entirely true. It works just fine for any channel marked copy-freely. Typically the premiums (HBO, SHO, PPV, etc.) are not. I've heard those are the only ones that FiOS doesn't mark copy-freely.

Correct. Through the tool provided by SiliconDust (GUI Config Tool). I can view the regular HD cable channels such as ESPN, GOLF, History.

I cannot get it working with a back-end though. Has anyone gotten an HDHomerun Prime working as the tuner for ForTheRecord? That is the one server that states it supports it that I cannot get to work.

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

Bump, any suggestions?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

Under WIdnows for recorders like Mediaportal's TVServer or ForTheRecord the HDHomeRunPrime can only be used for QAM stations. You can not record or watch encrypted stations, even those marked as Copy Freely. I beleive the only windows recorder software that currently supports recording copy Freely is NPVR. Of course Windows Media Center can record everything.

HDHomeRUn Prime support for MediaPortal TVServer is in the works but is several weeks out.
Ah I should have done more homework before buying this thing. I really thought it would work.

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

angrycamel: I have no actual idea how to generate strm files in Windows, but if you're up for a little adventure with Virtualbox (free) and a quick linux install (free), we can have you sorted in no time. You're boned for true PVR integration though Sad

ijourneaux: With respect, encrypted-copy-freely channels work just fine on linux with the hdhomerun-config tool

Code:
hdhomerun_config discover[code]
yields:
hdhomerun device 131478xx found at 10.0.0.xx

[code]hdhomerun_config 131478EA set /tuner2/channel qam256:447000000
hdhomerun_config 131478EA set /tuner2/program 2241

Tunes in channel 246 (NFL Network HD in Alexandria on Comcast)

Code:
hdhomerun_config 131478EA get /tuner2/vstatus[code]

Yields:
vch=246 name=NFLHD auth=subscribed cci=unrestricted cgms=n/a

And, lastly,

[code]hdhomerun_config 131478EA save /tuner2 - | buffer -s 500k -b 20 -m 20m  | sudo -u nouser cvlc - :sout='#std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:7474}}'

Sends it to a lovely http transport stream that I then muck about with for various purposes (routing to tv, transcode and route to phone, etc)

All of this is done on Ubuntu 11.04 (I know, I need to dist upgrade)

I can also use .strm files formatted as such:
Code:
hdhomerun://131478EA-0/tuner0?channel=qam256:447000000&program=2241

To watch it on XBMC

I know for a fact that FIOS in Northern VA, and Southern MD are equally permissive regarding this.

Sadly, no existing backend supports virtual channel assignment, so I'm boned for true PVR functionality

EDITED:

Also, I'm full of crap, I forgot that MythTV Backend worked. But the channel change speed was interminable. So, no backend's OTHER than that Sad
(2012-08-22, 06:33)thermite451 Wrote: angrycamel: I have no actual idea how to generate strm files in Windows, but if you're up for a little adventure with Virtualbox (free) and a quick linux install (free), we can have you sorted in no time. You're boned for true PVR integration though Sad

ijourneaux: With respect, encrypted-copy-freely channels work just fine on linux with the hdhomerun-config tool

Code:
hdhomerun_config discover[code]
yields:
hdhomerun device 131478xx found at 10.0.0.xx

[code]hdhomerun_config 131478EA set /tuner2/channel qam256:447000000
hdhomerun_config 131478EA set /tuner2/program 2241

Tunes in channel 246 (NFL Network HD in Alexandria on Comcast)

Code:
hdhomerun_config 131478EA get /tuner2/vstatus[code]

Yields:
vch=246 name=NFLHD auth=subscribed cci=unrestricted cgms=n/a

And, lastly,

[code]hdhomerun_config 131478EA save /tuner2 - | buffer -s 500k -b 20 -m 20m  | sudo -u nouser cvlc - :sout='#std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:7474}}'

Sends it to a lovely http transport stream that I then muck about with for various purposes (routing to tv, transcode and route to phone, etc)

All of this is done on Ubuntu 11.04 (I know, I need to dist upgrade)

I can also use .strm files formatted as such:
Code:
hdhomerun://131478EA-0/tuner0?channel=qam256:447000000&program=2241

To watch it on XBMC

I know for a fact that FIOS in Northern VA, and Southern MD are equally permissive regarding this.

Sadly, no existing backend supports virtual channel assignment, so I'm boned for true PVR functionality

EDITED:

Also, I'm full of crap, I forgot that MythTV Backend worked. But the channel change speed was interminable. So, no backend's OTHER than that Sad

Thanks for the help Thermite. I hope I can help with mediaportal support. I'll look into that since they seen to be closest.

I'll get an Ubuntu image (http://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu/) setup tonight when I get home from work. I wonder if the Perl script I modified is creating incorrectly formatted stream files. At this point just getting the strm files to play from XBMC's LiveTV add on that uses xmltv would be fine.

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

@Thermite: I have an Ubuntu 12 image up and running in Virtualbox on a Windows 7 PC. Working well. Now I assume this will be the way in which I can create the strm files that will auto change the channel of the tuner and pull in the stream from the HDHR Prime? Is there anything I need to know specific or should I simply find that Perl script that someone posted on the Silicon image forum and try to get it running?

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

UPDATE: Restarting XBMC fixed the strm files not playing

I actually just found a perl script that is reported to work on Win 7 and it did generate some files. Seems like its far less than the number of channels available on Fios (not even talking about HBO and stuff that I know it will not work with). Unfortunately, playing those strm files from XBMC does not work (see below).

Here is the script I used: http://pastebin.com/m7YVZgaT

An example of the output in the Comedy Central strm file is
Code:
hdhomerun://1314D5C5-1/tuner1?channel=auto:134&program=644

As you can see from the following screenshot, the show will play fine through the HDHR GUI app:

Here is the XBMC log:
Code:
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CGUIWindowVideoBase::OnPlayMedia C:\Users\Rob\HDHomeRun XBMC TV\HDHR_chans\690-Comedy.strm
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers(hdhomerun://1314D5C5-0/tuner0?channel=auto:134&program=690)
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: system rules
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: matches rule: system rules
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: rtv
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: matches rule: hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: adding player: DVDPlayer (1) for rule: hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: lastfm/shout
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: rtsp
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: streams
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: dvd
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: dvdfile
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: dvdimage
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: sdp/asf
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: nsv
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::GetPlayers: considering rule: radio
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: matched 1 rules with players
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: adding videodefaultplayer (1)
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=0
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: for video=1, audio=1
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: adding player: DVDPlayer (1)
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers: added 1 players
21:23:55 T:8624  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: hdhomerun://1314D5C5-0/tuner0?channel=auto:134&program=690
21:23:55 T:8624 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: CRenderManager::UpdateDisplayLatency - Latency set to 0 msec
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: DXVA - cheking samples array size using 842094158 render target
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: DXVA - updated maximum samples count to 1
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: DXVA - cheking samples array size using 842094169 render target
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayer start, auto delete: 0
21:23:55 T:4232  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/hdhomerun.dll)
21:23:55 T:8624   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
21:23:55 T:4232  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/dvdplayer/avutil-50.dll)
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/dvdplayer/avcore-0.dll)
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/dvdplayer/avcodec-52.dll)
21:23:55 T:4232   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(special://xbmcbin/system/players/dvdplayer/avformat-52.dll)
21:24:00 T:8624   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
21:24:04 T:10604   DEBUG: Received request to serve unknown md5 'DeviceDescription.xml'
21:24:06 T:8624   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
21:24:06 T:8624   DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow is active
21:24:11 T:8624   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Pointer.xml) ------
21:24:19 T:8624   DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDelayed(DLL: special://xbmcbin/system/ImageLib.dll)
21:24:23 T:8340   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 8340 terminating (autodelete)
21:24:25 T:4232   ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, hdhomerun://1314D5C5-0/tuner0?channel=auto:134&program=690
21:24:25 T:4232   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
21:24:25 T:4232  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
21:24:25 T:4232  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
21:24:26 T:4232   DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayer 4232 terminating
21:24:26 T:8624   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnStop from xbmc
21:24:26 T:8624   DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnStop
21:24:26 T:8624   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [hdhomerun://1314D5C5-0/tuner0?channel=auto:134&program=690]
21:24:26 T:8624   DEBUG: Playlist Player: one or more items failed to play... aborting playback
21:24:26 T:8624    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogOK.xml
21:24:26 T:8624   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogOK.xml) ------
21:24:26 T:8624  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
21:24:26 T:8624 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
21:24:26 T:8624  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
21:24:26 T:8624  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting

Correction, after restarting XBMC (it crashed on it's own actually) the strm files play just fine. Yay, some progress finally!

I have also just installed NPVR based on your recommendation, and it is going through the process of scanning channels now from the HDHR Prime and appears to be doing a good job so far.

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I have given up and just swiych between wmc and xbmc these days. Good luck to you.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Quote:ijourneaux: With respect, encrypted-copy-freely channels work just fine on linux with the hdhomerun-config tool

Point taken. That approach actually works in under windows as well. The guys using BeyondTV can use that approach as a way of using the HDHomeRun Prime (for copy freely and copy once content) but it is somewhat kludgy. So at this point, other than NPVR, there is no true (in my opinon) PVR implementations of the HDHomeRun Prime under windows . I suspect that MediaPortal TVServer will have support for the HDHomeRun Prime in the next couple of months.

Take Care
(2012-08-23, 11:15)bry- Wrote: I was in the same boat a few months ago. I have given up and just swiych between wmc and xbmc these days. Good luck to you.

That is what I have been doing for the past couple of months. Not ideal but with the MCE to XBMC integration addin it works reasonably well.+
I wrote a quick C# program tonight to scan channels from the HDHR because each version of that Perl script I've tried kept skipping channels. I'll release it with source if anyone is interested. Sounds like most people got their strm files and I was only one of a few having trouble with it though.

Its a windows app that presents all of the channels (scanned from the first found HDHR device) that lets you select which channels to export to strm files. You can hit a single button and filter on only the HD channels if you want as a start, then modify from that (thats what I did). Works like a charm. All of the channels are working from within the TV Guide addon now including Golf HD, History HD, etc.

I'm gonna add a feature tomorrow to do the configuration of TV Guide automatically so all of the channels you select are the only channels that get pulled into the addon and automatically have the correct strm file associated.

Try the JSON-RPC Browser

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDHomerun Prime - Backend Woes0