xbmcbuntu - Sickbeard and Couchpotato.v2 Install
I’m posting this because I found it difficult to find a clear guide for installing sickbeard and CouchPotato.v2 on xbmcbuntu 11.0. Maybe it will help some other linux novice like myself and also so I can remember the steps just incase. I take no credit for any of it. Sources are mentioned below.

SickBeard

Source

1. Install python (2.5, 2.6, or 2.7) (should already be installed)
To check if it is installed just type in a terminal window
Code:
python -V
In the unlikely event it's not already installed you can simply install it with your OSes package manager.

2. Install cheetah (should already be installed)
Use your package manager:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-cheetah

3. Retrieve the Sick Beard source. (use "git --version" to check):
Code:
git --version
If/when you have git installed
Code:
git clone git://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard.git my-sickbeard-install
(note: I did the above command and it instructed me how to install git. Install, then run the following line above again)

4. Start Sick Beard
Code:
cd my-sickbeard-install
Code:
python SickBeard.py

AutoStart Sickbeard on boot:
Source
I then followed the instructions in this thread, tested, rebooted and logged into sickbeard. Everything seems to be working fine.
Quote:Amazing install guide here: ..and when you get to page 4 which describes the load-at-startup option, there is a link to a script. It is that script that has a couple updates to make it work for me and quite likely will get it working for you.

Here were my steps that worked:

1. Copy the script provided by Ainer.org here: http://ainer.org/scripts/sickbeard in to the clipboard

2. ssh on to XBMC to edit script by running command:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/sickbeard

3. Paste the script in to that file (SHIFT+INSERT)

4. Find the USER=”ChangeMe” line and replace it with the active account (I used the account I created with the installation of XBMC Live).

5. Find under the '#Script' section the line that says cd /home/$USER/.sickbeard

6. Replace '.sickbeard' with the actual installation folder. Using the instructions I found, that folder was my-sickbeard-install (/home/$USER/my-sickbeard-install)

7. Two lines under that one it references the folder again. Update that line as well. Should read "sudo -u $USER -H nohup python /home/$USER/my-sickbeard-install/SickBeard.py -q > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

8. CTRL X and Y to save & exit out of nano editor

Then I followed the steps in the guide:
1. Modify permissions of script:
Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/sickbeard

2. Updated start up items:
Code:
sudo update-rc.d sickbeard defaults

Then to test, we need to start sickbeard without sudo to ensure the script will properly start on startup:
Code:
/etc/init.d/sickbeard start

Hope that works for you as well.”

-----------------------------------------------------------
Couchpotato V2

Good guide here but I needed to change a few things in order to get it working. Install couchpotato via the directions on github HERE

Open a terminal how ever you like (I used PuTTY). login into xbmc from your home directory (home/user) run the following.

if you had a previous installation of couchpotato running with autostarting enabled (with the init script name couchpotato) then you can use the use the following commands to clean them up: (can also be used for sickbeard)
Code:
sudo rm /etc/init.d/couchpotato
sudo update-rc.d couchpotato remove

Install Couchpotato
Code:
git clone https://github.com/RuudBurger/CouchPotatoServer.git

Then start up couchpotato

Code:
python CouchPotatoServer/CouchPotato.py

Next you can go through and configure couchpotato. I followed the guide listed above. if you reboot couchpotato during the configuration You may need to restart and log back into couchpotato through putty, . Once configured set couchpotato to autostart with xbmc.

Copy the ubuntu init script to /etc/init.d/couchpotato
Code:
cd ~/CouchPotatoServer/init
sudo cp ubuntu /etc/init.d/couchpotato

Then edit the newly copied script using this command:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/couchpotato

I only made two changes. 1st change was to #app path, point it at your CouchPotatoServer dir. Next, under user name, change it to your xbmc user name. Be sure to change both the your_user_name to the user name created in xbmc. Save and Exit.
Code:
############### EDIT ME ##################
# path to app
APP_PATH=/home/your_user_name/CouchPotatoServer

# user
RUN_AS=your_user_name

# path to python bin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/python

# Path to store PID file
PID_FILE=/var/run/couchpotato/server.pid
PID_PATH=$(dirname $PID_FILE)

# script name
NAME=couchpotatov2

# app name
DESC=CouchPotatoV2

# startup args
DAEMON_OPTS=" CouchPotato.py --daemon --pid_file=${PID_FILE}"

############### END EDIT ME ##################

Make the init script executable and update boot sequence:
Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/couchpotato
sudo update-rc.d couchpotato defaults

Next I rebooted xbmc and couchpotato started fine.

DISCLAIMER: This post is for informational purpose only. The author in no way supports or encourages illegal download of copyrighted material.

Useful link for terminal commands
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu - Sickbeard and Couchpotato.v2 Install0