Solved 6 Channel AAC decode on Raspberry Pi
Music 
When playing 6 channel AAC on the Pi it outputs 2 channel PCM. Please can we have support for 6 channel PCM output on the Raspberry Pi?
I can't be the only person who would benefit from this?
I doubt the CPU is strong enough to do that, but I could be wrong - I am definitely no programmer Smile
Its not only about CPU. Its also about hardware iirc. Multichannel PCM might not be supported at all on the rbpi. And if i remember Linuxtag right - it just isn't possible.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
We don't have the ARM CPU power to reencode to AC3 and output that through passthough (which is what I believe Audio Engine does).
It is technically possible to output multichannel PCM from Pi through HDMI (although not through TOSLINK adapters).

It does create a whole set of complications when people expect mixing from, e.g. 8 channel audio -> 6 speakers, or 6 channel audio -> 8 speakers to just work.
But a simple, no mixing, 6 channel audio to 6 channel PCM output over HDMI is possible, and is on my list to investigate.

No promises when. There's a lot of other bug reports that are more critical.
I too would be VERY interested in this. Big Grin
It seems that AAC 5.1 encoded movies are a popular/recommended method and I am also finding them playing in Stereo only.
(PS. If it helps, I have an Onkyo TXSR309)
Previously the GPU only handled N->2 channel mixing, so you always get stereo when not using passthrough.
I've added GPU code to handle arbitrary N->M channel mixing, so this is now possible (with no extra CPU load).

Still need to write the arm code that sets the mixing matrices, which will probably take some time to get right.
Each codec tends to output the channels in different orders and may use unusual configurations (e.g. a centre back channel).

But I hope to support common options in the next month or two.
hi popcornmix !
I would be very interested in such improvement.
Do you have any news on a 6 channels pcm output ?

Thanks !
+1
This was implemented 4 months ago:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3502

It's in current Frodo raspbmc and openelec builds.
Just saw that thanks a lot for answering !
Good job developers, thanks
(2015-04-24, 20:24)Danny3 Wrote: Good job developers, thanks

You sure are bumpy mcbumperson today. Are you trying to slam?

For those that don't know.... slamming is having ever possible thread on page 1 with your name as the last reply.

I am not actually accusing anyone of anything but Danny boy has bumped a lot of old threads today.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
6 Channel AAC decode on Raspberry Pi1