XBMC Ready Media Players
(2012-08-13, 17:37)djashjones Wrote: media players need to be hdmi v1.4 output

Yeh the Pulse box seems to be hdmi 1.4, so it should support 3d?

As for Pivios ones, i think they are 1.3 and i couldnt really find any info to see if 3d is supported, but i think not.
What I don't understand is why you want an Ouya so desperately... I mean if you get a media player now and an ouya later that will cost you around 400£. Why not buy or build something in the 400£ range? As far as media playing goes, I'm sure it will outperform the android console.. waiting for that device may not be the best option, it may be an epic fail
(2012-08-13, 23:08)PatrickVogeli Wrote: What I don't understand is why you want an Ouya so desperately... I mean if you get a media player now and an ouya later that will cost you around 400£. Why not buy or build something in the 400£ range? As far as media playing goes, I'm sure it will outperform the android console.. waiting for that device may not be the best option, it may be an epic fail

There are a few reasons to buy two, i.e.. one is so that i can either place the one im buying now in the bedroom later once OUYA arrives or in case it is an epic fail then i can put that one in the bedroom instead and keep this one in my home cinema room.

That way i can get two media players for £400 rather then just the one!

There are other reasons too as to why i want an OUYA, i want to develop for it too if its a success.

Im not sure i can justify a £400 to £500 media player just to play movies, thats the problem! I can understand if i wanted to play games on it too, but my sole purpose is for a media player, and again as i said before if i was going to shell out close to £500 then why wouldn't i just buy a mac mini instead? I could probably get a good model slightly used in that price region!

If we take a bluray disc drive out of the equation then im sure there is a media device with my name on it out there (in or close to my budget)! Im just having real difficulty in finding it right now, which is why i seek advice from all you wonderful people with knowledge and experience in this area!

Thanks
Hi guys,

I still need you guys help on this, so that i can quickly place my order and get started with this.

Please can you help me decide?

So far the options I have is to go for:

- Pulsebox Premium around £300
- Pivios (but i dont think 3d compatible so out of the question)
- Mac Mini (extreme choice)

Any other options i can decide for?

Thanks
I have had further look into the ASRock units and found that they have specific 3D ones. Hence, I'm not sure if the cheaper options would be able to play side by side mkvs etc...

However as for the 3d models, the cheapest one i could see was this:
ION 152B - £340
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-ION-Serie...752&sr=8-7

All the rest of the Asrock seem to be over £500, unless im missing something!

Im also a bit confused about if i get one of the cheaper models that are only advertised as 1080p and not 3d, should these still be able to stream 3d side by side to my tv?

I also had a look at the Zotac but they seem quite high in price for 3D specific models!

One device i came across which seems like a dream is this one:
http://www.xtreamer.net/ultra2/
Anyone have any idea of how good it is?

Thanks

Ive just had a response back from PulseBox:

"XBMC does not support 3D content yet as far as I am aware, but side by side is possible I guess, please check support on XBMC, if it is supported there, our box will support it."

So any idea guys? I just quickly booted up xbmc on my macbook and loaded a 3d movie (SBS) and it seemed to load and play fine (had two images playing parallel to each other). Although i havnt yet connected this to my projector to see if i can output it in 3d.
I think your best bet right now that isnt an HTPC is the Pivos Xios DS. I ordered one last week to check it out. It's a 1st gen machine for sure.

It's basically just a standalone xbmc box. I suggest using the linux xbmc port instead of android which you can find on their site. It's much faster and farther developed. All said and done im pretty impressed with this box and i love it. Plays back almost everything and scrapes fine. Does the xbmc basics.

Downsides are no optical out or HD Audio support right now but it does support ac3/dts. Little add on support right now too cuz it's a beta. It's by far the cheapest solution out right now too at $115 on amazon. I dunno do some research if youre interested. Remote kinda cheap but it works.

Killernads, I put together a preview video for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbzp80b4yc

Im actually really surprised this box doesnt have more hype for what it can do. THere's not even a thread for it or a review of it anywhere. Feel free to post any questions. I'm not affiliated with them so i dont have all the answers.
thank you tangx for the information and the video.

Not having HD Audio, might be a huge deterrent to me as i have some movies that use HD DTS etc... Also i do not think this device would support 3D side by side MKV's? Although it seems great for the price I'm not sure i would be entirely happy with it.

Also from your video the device seems a bit slow or is it just the video that is making it look like that? Currently im using xbmc on my macbook and its super fast with no pauses in between going to different sections etc..

It looks like im going to have to up my budget to get a worthwhile device that supports everything i need! Right now the choices i have broken down to are:

PulseBox
ION 152B
Xtreamer ultra 2

All of these im going to have to up my budget to around £300+ but in the end i think it will be worth it! right now to me it seems the ultra 2 is the best choice but i need advice from all members before i place my order and end up being disappointed! Its a lot of money being invested in this to end up being disappointed so i definitely don't want to order blindly, i carried out much research as possible to come down to these devices but now need input from community members.

So please guys help out, again i have raised the budget so that i can look for a good device.

dont get the xtreamer. the company as has terrible customer services from what i've read which put me off buying one.

You must remember you can't compare your mac book to cheaper devices. its like saying i drive a ferrari and i cant understand why budget car does not go as quick, lol

i have a little cheap e350 box with mostly 720p movies and SD tv shows with digital audio output straight to the AV receiver. The xbmc has the basic skin and its fine for my needs. I dont need a quick boot time either as my nas takes longer, lol
yeh ive heard some people complain about streamers customer service, but to be honest i think they may have improved it, well atleast there online chat customer service lady was very helpful.

I went through the product with her and she was very helpful in explaining everything that it could do and couldn't.

So im not sure thats a worry anymore. The only problem i see with the device is that it seems very big compared to something like the Asrock ION 152B.

Im thinking that the Ultra 2 would be a complete gamble, and that my best option would be to go for either the ion 152B or Pulsebox! Im just waiting for people to give there opinion with the negative points of each or perhaps recommend a better option for me!

thanks

Btw for mac mini, if you consider it as option, you should wait for the new one with ivy bridge..
The pulsebox seemed like a good option until i read there forums, there seems to be a major flaw with the design of the casing.

People have problems with overheating and loud fan, there was one who had to cut out an extra whole in the case for air ventilation!

So that looks like a no deal! Which is a shame as a ready xbmc box with limited maintenance/service would have been ideal!

Now im afraid my only choices are to go for either the Asrock units or a Mac Mini!

Whats your guys take on this? Which do you think would be best suited:

The two asrock products ive found are:

Asrock ION 3D 157b - £309
http://www.micom.co.uk/asrock-ion-3d-net...-blu-no-os
I can easily add another 2gb ram into this to make it 4GB in around a total of £340 (maybe even less)

Asrock Vision 3D 137b - £533
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-vi...e+shopping

But the question is which one is more value for money!! Someone with experience in this area, can you please tell me from looking at the specs of the two?

The last option i can see is a mac mini at around £550

Please guys really need your comments!

Thanks
I bought the asrock ion (first generation) some years ago, it was too loud for my taste so i ve sold it after one month...
Cant comment on the models you posted though, maybe reading a review will help you out...

And for mac mini, as i ve said before, wait for the new ones that will come out on september (with ivy bridge chipset) ..
OK Cool, im still trying to find the best device to go for!

I dont want another OSX device, so i don't think i will go for the mac mini. Im still trying to look and read reviews on the as rock units and choose one of those as to me they seem like the best fit! Hopefully I am right and don't end up being disappointed!
(2012-08-15, 15:47)KILLERNADS Wrote: Ive just had a response back from PulseBox:

"XBMC does not support 3D content yet as far as I am aware, but side by side is possible I guess, please check support on XBMC, if it is supported there, our box will support it."

So any idea guys? I just quickly booted up xbmc on my macbook and loaded a 3d movie (SBS) and it seemed to load and play fine (had two images playing parallel to each other). Although i havnt yet connected this to my projector to see if i can output it in 3d.

XBMC doesn't support:

1) Subtitles in 3D
2) The MVC format used on Bluray 3D, it will only show the AVC file for the left eye

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Ready Media Players0