Path substitution for special://userdata
I am following the guide to sync different XBMC clients with the same sources/database/whatever, and I understand I can substitute different special folders to point at my central installation to have it all use the same files.
Is there any special reason why I should just substitute the special://userdata folder for all my clients and have it all in one go? Or maybe even the special://home?
Are there any special folders that MUST (or maybe just highly recommended to) remain separate per client?

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/userdata /</from>
<to>smb://<MyMainHost>/<MyUsername>/AppData/Roaming/xbmc/userdata/</to>
</substitute>
There's a few, but off the top of my head I know you don't want to share the databases/ folder or the guisettings.xml file (contains hardware/device specific settings). The wiki (MySQL (wiki)) has a list of all the safe files that should work (or mostly work, in the case of addon_data) for path subs. Multiple units trying to share a SQL database (rather than a MySQL database) at the same time will have problems, and the database file can become corrupt.
OK. So I'll just stick to the folders mentioned in the wiki. Thanks for the help.

Regarding the Database folder - does the client even use that folder after I setup a MySQL instance on my main machine? Is it a separate database for some other uses?
(2012-08-15, 11:02)ATGardner Wrote: Regarding the Database folder - does the client even use that folder after I setup a MySQL instance on my main machine? Is it a separate database for some other uses?

Yep, there's a database for add-ons (keeps track of what's enabled/disabled, etc), a database for various images, and maybe a few others I think. XBMC can only use MySQL to share the video and music databases, but will still use those other ones for various things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path substitution for special://userdata0