Cheap G630 build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eiuz

Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

I've already have the Crucial 64gig SSD, and RC6 Remote. Any recs on the RAM?

Should I also add a Geforce 430 or wait and see? How's the stock heatsink with the G630?

Any other thoughts?

Many Thanks.
(2012-08-10, 19:25)onizuka Wrote: I've already have the Crucial 64gig SSD, and RC6 Remote. Any recs on the RAM?

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT2G3D1337DT1TX0

(2012-08-10, 19:25)onizuka Wrote: Should I also add a Geforce 430 or wait and see? How's the stock heatsink with the G630?

Any other thoughts?

Many Thanks.
For HTPC usages, you don't need a discrete GPU....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks bluray!

What do you think of Intel's stock heatsink? Besides some thermal paste for the CPU, is there anything else I'm missing?
The stock heatsink has the thermal paste pre-applied.
Stock heatsink is pretty good for htpc use.
(2012-08-10, 20:54)onizuka Wrote: Thanks bluray!

What do you think of Intel's stock heatsink? Besides some thermal paste for the CPU, is there anything else I'm missing?
Intel heatsink/thermal paste are included in the box, and it should be good for HTPC. I'm sitting 3 feet away from a very small form factor Intel i5 box with Intel stock CPU cooler , and I don't hear CPU fan.......
So I got the parts today to begin assembly and the mother board is too big for the case!!!

ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

doesn't fit....

MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

Can anyone please recommend a good motherboard that'll fit the case?!

Thanks!
Sounds like you are building a machine VERY similar to the one I am. See my thread "Case and PSU suggestions" and see if it helps you any.

For what it is worth, I just bought an ASRock H67M-ITX board as an open box item from Newegg and got it for about $61. I wouldn't pay the full retail price they are asking now for the same board, I'd get something with newer chipset technology instead, but if they have more than one it might be a good solution for you.

Whatever you do, just pay attention to the form factor of the motherboard you are buying. The MI-008 case you are using is an "ITX" form factor and requires an "ITX" form factor motherboard. Since ITX is so small, you can't really substitute anything but that form factor to make it work. If you had a larger form factor, for instance an ATX or Micro-ATX, then your options increase.

Also, you may want to ask before ordering to ensure everything will fit the case once you start putting in the heatsink/cooler that comes with your processor. As you'll find in the thread I mentioned earlier, there is some debate about whether or not the stock heatsink with your G630 will fit in the MI-008 and operate efficiently.

Everyone is very helpful here and I know they have been more than patient with me as I build, so I hope you find what you're looking for!
Main HTPC: i5-2500k Sandybridge 3.3Ghz - ASRock Z68 - Radeon HD6950 2GB - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws - 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - 500GB HDD storage
Master Bedroom: G530 - ASRock H67M - 4GB Kingston HyperX - 160GB Seagate 2.5"
Living Room: Xbox 360 Media Center Extender
ASUS P8H61-I $54.99 open box
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 $79.99 new
ASUS P8H77-I $86.97 open box

And, did you know, the stock Intel heatsink comes with the thermal paste already applied? Wink
(2012-08-10, 21:37)bluray Wrote:

Intel heatsink/thermal paste are included in the box, and it should be good for HTPC. I'm sitting 3 feet away from a very small form factor Intel i5 box with Intel stock CPU cooler , and I don't hear CPU fan.......

Do you tweak any fan settings in the BIOS? I run a i3-2100t with stock heatsink and my CPU never gets above 40C, but I can hear the fan from my couch 7-8-ft away. I may be oversensitive, my wife says she hears nothing. I bought components to keep the heat down (green PSU, green HD, SSD). Any ideas or suggestions?
(2012-08-15, 18:53)RealDealNeil Wrote:

Do you tweak any fan settings in the BIOS? I run a i3-2100t with stock heatsink and my CPU never gets above 40C, but I can hear the fan from my couch 7-8-ft away. I may be oversensitive, my wife says she hears nothing. I bought components to keep the heat down (green PSU, green HD, SSD). Any ideas or suggestions?
The noise might not be from the CPU cooler, because Intel CPU cooler usually very good. The noise might be from your PSU and Case fans. What are your case and PSU brand and model?

I use stock cooler, and I selected "Cool N Quiet" and set fan level to 2 in the bios. I cannot hear any fan noise at seating area. I don't trust my ears. I did the tests with noise meter, and the noise meter didn't detect any noise from HTPC at seating area either.....

(2012-08-15, 18:53)RealDealNeil Wrote:

I run my HTPC with a big passive heatsink on a regular i3-2100. No problems. You should be able to turn the fan settings way down as long as you don't do any real CPU-intensive tasks.

Here are my components -

Case: Silverstone ML03B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163174)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371033)
Case Fans: 2x Enermax UC-8EB 80mm (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811999199)

When I listen close, the CPU fan sounds loudest. The other components sound fine. One of my thoughts is that I have my case in a cubby hole in my entertainment cabinet. It's got about 2-3 in space on each side (and open from the front). Plus the ML03B case has a CPU vent on top from which the noise comes out of, amplified by the cabinet. I'm also running Win7 with XBMC and a few background programs (Sabnzbd) which could use more power.

I'm thinking to raise the thresholds on my MB's fan settings. I normally run 35C-40C which is not hot enough for the fan to run loudly.
(2012-08-17, 00:01)RealDealNeil Wrote: I'm thinking to raise the thresholds on my MB's fan settings. I normally run 35C-40C which is not hot enough for the fan to run loudly.
If you select "Cool N Quiet" option and set fan level to 1-2 in the bios, you shouldn't hear fan noise at seating area.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap G630 build0