First HTPC Build Double check
Hey guys, I've got an HTPC build I'd like you to double check and let me know what you think, especially if there's any more value I can be getting out of it, or if any of it is overkill (especially the case and PCU).

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 30 days

Budget Range: $400-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC for movies (HD and standard), audio, etc running XBMC on Windows 7. I'll also use this for moderate gaming.

Preferred Website: Wherever is cheapest. From South Dakota, so no good store-only deals anywhere in the state that I know of.

Build:
AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor: $99.99
Gigabyte A75M-UD2H: $103.99
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w: $49.99
Silverstone GD05B: $99.99
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB: $40.99
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25Sat3-90G 2.5" 90GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD): $69.99

I plan on adding a second video card to the build in the future if I decide its worth it for gaming. I'm not sure about overclocking yet; I don't know anything about it, but if you guys think it would be worth it I'll definitely look into it.

I plan on running Windows 7, XBMC, and only necessary programs off of the SSD. Is 90GB overkill, or would I be fine with a 60GB SSD? I plan on keeping all my music, videos, and games on an external hard drive, any recommendations on what to use? (Note: I say external hard drive because I plan on downloading and burning media onto my laptop and then transferring it to my HTPC via the external hard drive. I'm going to keep all internet surfing and downloading from the HTPC itself to a minimum to avoid viruses and all that other junk. An external hard drive is the most efficient way I know how to do this, unless there are other suggestions.)

I have a 32" 720p TV right now. I'll be getting a 42" 1080p TV in the near future.

So am I getting good value here? Is there any money I could be saving anywhere? Am I going overboard with anything? This is my first build, so bear with me. Thanks guys!
I have two htpc's with SSD's in them. One has a 32GB and one has a 64GB. The 32GB has about 8GB free space on it and that's with a few more applications installed and my entire video game ROM collection stored on the drive. 64GB is a little more comfortable although I have several more applications installed I still have over 20GB free on it.

Your PSU is a bit of overkill... with my A8-3870K, an SSD and two HDD's in it, I maxed out at 143W when running Prime95. I have a 380W PSU and even that is a lot of overkill for my system.

HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

First you really need to decide if your going to be gaming on this. If so then fine
Otherwise go with a A6 3500 and 60 Gb SSD
The GD05 is a nice case (check my sig) but its fairly big and will hold a full size GPU. You could go smaller and cheaper
I wouldn't use an external drive. No reason to. Its not going to avoid anything. But if you do, get a USB 3.0
The PSU is too much but go with a better quality so it will cost the same for a 300w Seasonic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151117
Go ahead and download everything on your HTPC. I do. I started doing just what your talking about but ended up changing. Its too much hassle moving drives back and forth. Use your laptop for surfing and let the htpc do all the downloading.
You could also get by with 4 Gb ram

No reason to overclock. You want it quiet.
(2012-08-11, 05:39)sharpshoey Wrote: Build:
AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor: $99.99
This CPU tend to get hot and the include CPU cooler tend to be noisy. This " Scythe SCBSK-2100" CPU cooler will keep it cooler/silencer......

(2012-08-11, 05:39)sharpshoey Wrote: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w: $49.99
Generally, PSU operate most efficient at 50% load....this "SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W" should be great for A8-3850.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC Build Double check0