XBMC Unstable + uxlaunch issue
lcapriotti Wrote:official ubuntu package, no hand-made start of X, a single script to maintain on our codebase (xbmc-standalone), upcoming support for plymouth integration (no more boot text or login prompt). Isn't it enough?

I am fine with the answer, but I thought I saw that uxlaunch is only in Natty and Maverick, so is XBMC abandoning previous bulds of ubuntu?
previous releases will still use the "old" approach; that's the plan.
USB drives does not automount after uxlaunch is installed. How can I solve that problem?
WheresWaldo Wrote:I am by no means a Linux expert, but I know of no way to change distribution versions of Ubuntu without complete re-installs.

Rough outline to get back to stable:
  • Uninstall current xbmc, might be as easy as apt-get remove xbmc
  • Uninstall all dependencies, might be as easy as apt-get autoremove
  • Personally, I would likely reboot here.
  • Remove the nightly repository, could be add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable -r
  • Add the stable repository if not already there, might be add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
  • Then clean and update repository cache using apt-get clean then apt-get update
  • At this point you could install the current Dharma build with apt-get install -y xbmc
Please note this is just an outline and not step by step instructions.

You could go into /etc/apt/ and change in sources.list all occurencies of lucid to natty or maveric and also in all list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

The do apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade

and you should be set.

Keep in mind thou i havnt tried this yet myself, used it before thou with success everytime. =)

-gob
With "sudo do-release-upgrade" you can switch to Natty the proper way.
BurningSky Wrote:With "sudo do-release-upgrade" you can switch to Natty the proper way.

Ah cool
But isnt maveric more stable?
-gob

I upgraded to Natty yesterday and everything is fine. I think you can also upgrade to Maverick, but I don't know how.
(2011-05-06, 21:39)lcapriotti Wrote: previous releases will still use the "old" approach; that's the plan.
Well, apparently that's only the plan, but not reality. I just updated from my old xbmclive-installed 10 to 11 using apt-get update and xbmc stopped autostarting since the upstart job waits for uxlaunch, which doesn't exist in Ubuntu 10.04. Replacing /etc/init/xbmc-live.conf with the old one from xbmc 10 solves the problem.

(Upgrading to xbmcbuntu is BTW no solution, since Ubuntu dumped support of quite a number of X10 remote controls with 10.10 / Linux kernel 3. If anybody with an ATI All-in-wonder, Medion, Marmitek or other X10 remote reads this: Check dmesg' output for lines like "Weird data" from the ati_remote kernel module. If you get this, don't waste your time, downgrade.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Unstable + uxlaunch issue0