Win Sudden XBMC video playback issue
Okay, I'm not really sure if this is an XBMC issue, but the problem only seems to be in XBMC, so...

The problem is that XBMC (both 10.1 and 11) seems to be distorting the video files.
I have no idea why.

Here is an example:
Evangelion 2 rip from bluray.
ripped and converted in my usual way.

Raw file plays perfectly on my PC and all other PCs.
converted file plays perfectly on my PC and all other PCs

Raw file played in XBMC perfectly on my PC and all other PCs - see image
Converted file plays with completely distorted video - see image

I'm unsure as to why it would play perfectly on my PC through media classic/vlc/wmp etc, but distorted through XBMC.

It's also worth noting that the debug log doesn't seem to give any clear warnings that I can see. Hopefully, maybe someone else will spot something straight away.

Another thing to mention is that it's only this movie and a couple others that have this problem, which are all ones I ripped recently. However, nothing has changed since completing rips I've done prior to this problem, where rips are working perfectly.

Could anyone think of something that I could try?
I'd be glad to give more details on anything.

Big thanks to anyone that can help!
The video looks to have been encoded with Hi10P, which is a bit non-standard in consumer space. Only XBMC nightly builds (wiki) can playback Hi10P correctly. The only reason to use Hi10P is if you need to save space, and personally I don't think the space savings justify the compatibility and the increased CPU usage (and no hardware decoders exist for Hi10P). I'd grab.. err, rip/encode it in High Profile h.264. The BR source it comes from uses High Profile h.264 in the first place. That or just use a nightly (wiki) or monthly (wiki) build.
I actually found out that very same problem when I checked my encoding profiles last night.
I honestly have no idea how that got changed! perhaps during an application update...

Thanks very much for the reply, I redid my rips conversion in good 'ol trusty h264 and everything was back to normal.

Thanks again!
My media center:
12TB Homebuilt Raid5 Server | Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid | Bose V3 lifestyle | Samsung S7 55" Slim LED TV

4 PC clients w/ xbmc (windows) - 1 w/ live

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sudden XBMC video playback issue0