Ignoring subdirectory doesn't work
I have a video source that is an SMB share named "TV". Its content is set to "(TV shows)".

Inside that share is a directory named "Mystery Science Theater 3000". It contains a bunch of video files with filenames that are understood by XBMC. Importantly, it contains multiple seasons worth of shows.

Inside that directory is a subdirectory named "sorted", and inside that subdirectory are a number of directories with names like "Season 01", "Season 02", etc. Inside each of the "Season" directories are symlinks to the video files two levels up. (MacOS and smbclient can both see that they're symlinks. I don't know if XBMC does, and I don't know how to find out, or if it makes any difference.)

Here's a representation of the directory structure:
  • smb://server/video/TV
    • Mystery Science Theater 3000
      • sorted
        • Season 01
          • MST3K - 0101 - The Crawling Eye.avi

• Season 02

• Season 10
        • Specials
      • MST3K - 0101 - The Crawling Eye.avi

The problem is that, by default, XBMC includes both the video and the symlink in the library. What I would like to do is just have XBMC ignore the entire "sorted" directory, but it's not working for me.

Here's what I've tried:
  • From the main menu, enter Videos → Files
  • Enter the "TV" share
  • Enter the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" directory
  • Highlight the "sorted" directory and bring up the context menu
  • Select the "Change content" option
    • By default, it's set to "(TV shows)" and none of "Run automated scan", "Selected folder contains a single TV show", or "Exclude path from library updates" is enabled
  • Enable the "Exclude path from library updates" option and click "OK"
  • Go back to main menu, Videos → TV shows
  • MST3k still has doubled entries
  • Main menu, System → Settings → Video → Library → Clean library
  • Answer "yes" to "Do you want to clean the library?" and wait for progress to complete
  • Go back to main menu, Videos → TV shows
  • Highlight MST3k, bring up context menu, and select "Remove from library" and answer "yes"
    • MST3k is now gone from the TV shows page
  • Main menu, Videos → Files → TV → MST3k → context → Scan for new content; wait for scan to complete
  • Main menu, Videos → TV shows
I have also gone through and selected "Exclude path from library updates" for each of the "Season" sub-subdirectories, with no change. I have also changed the content type on the "sorted" and "Season" directories to "None", again, with no change.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm running XBMC 11.0 under Ubuntu 10.10 x86_32.
Exclude path from library updates just means it won't be scanned on automatic updates. It WILL be scanned if you do a manual update. This should probably be made more explicit.

Either way, just changing the content type on that to "None" and removing the items at that point SHOULD do the trick with all further scans.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think my head just exploded.

Is there any way to, um, manually kick off an automatic update?

And setting the content type to "None" didn't solve the problem.

I finally resorted to using an excludetvshowsfromscan entry. (Thanks, KemoNine at #XBMC!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ignoring subdirectory doesn't work0