Zed's "no moving parts" build
Hey All,

I'm loving looking at pics of everyone else's builds, so I thought I would join the HTPC pr0n-party and post some of my own. I'm no photographer, so I apologize in advance for the low quality of my pics.

This isn't my first HTPC (my first one was quite some time ago and quite a bit different than today's HTPC).

My goal with this build was to be 100% silent. No moving parts. I had no plans to do CPU-intensive tasks like encoding videos and/or gaming. Just decoding videos and audio with XBMC. Given that the CPU only hits 10% utilization (tops) when streaming media, I figured it was OK to go fanless with a big heatsink. The case comes with a large 140mm intake fan, so I left that installed (but unplugged) in the event I needed airflow (haven't yet). Also, media storage is handled by a Win7 box with 8.5TB of SMB shares, so no need for meaningful capacity in this rig.

Going for a build like this didn't come without tradeoffs. Obviously a desktop CPU running with passive cooling, makes it tough to use a specialty HTPC case that would look nice in my HT rack. I needed vertical space to use a big passive heatsink and thus no HTPC-style cases would fit the bill. I chose a case that looks nice, isn't too big, and has a high PSU mount with an exhaust vent at the top and not the back. The one I chose seemed like it was purpose-built for the fanless PSU I chose (SPCR specifically called-out the need for vertical exhaust in its glowing review of said PSU). Unfortunately it has to sit beside and not in my HT unit, which isn't optimal but I can live with it.

The build:

Intel Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge CPU
2x2GB Corsair Value Select DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 mATX 1155 mobo
Seasonic SS-400FL Fanless 400W PSU
Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E Case
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD (Recycled from an old gaming rig)
Themalright Ultra-120 E Heatsink
HP MCE IR Receiver
Flirc IR Receiver
Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote
Logitech Wireless K400 Keyboard with Touchpad

IIRC the build ran about $520 not including the Harmony One and the Win7 license. Also not including the SSD (which was recycled from another build).

The reason for the belt-and-suspenders approach on the IR receivers is that I'm transitioning from the HP MCE receiver to the Flirc one. The latter is handling all controls except for sleep/wake commands (the MCE receiver does that duty). Once I figure out how to do that with Flirc, I'll retire the MCE receiver.

Thus far my problems are small. I can't get audio sync to work at 24p (plan to try a monthly build with the new AE to see if that resolves the issue). Also if my HTPC has been in S3 for a couple of days or more, XBMC misbehaves at wake and requires an Alt-F4 and restart. I believe these are both known issues with Eden based on my research, and not issues with my build.

Anyways, that's the story. On to the photos!

Cables are a mess under the stand -- mental note -- clean that up!

XBMC with Aeon MQ3.

A little bit dusty, and you can see the big fan (disconnected) behind the front grille. The lighting really doesn't do the case justice -- it is very elegant and understated.

Look, Ma! No moving parts!

Installing the parts in the case is a bit tricky but cable management is very easy.

Big passive heatsink.

...continued in next post...

Top grille for the fanless PSU to dissipate heat. The grille is magnetic and removable for cleaning.

The SSD tucks-in nicely in a dedicated 2.5" mounting position under the main HDD cage.

The front controls are well-engineered and the LED isn't too bright in a dark room.

The HP MCE IR and Flirc IR receivers tucked into my HT rack.

Anyways, I guess that's it. Thanks to the folks that make XBMC and those on the forum for all the help putting this together!
Nice build.

Just curious --- what do you notice on the screen when you don't have audio sync enabled at 24p? Do you notice any drops or anything out of the ordinary?
(2012-08-12, 08:40)assassin Wrote: Nice build.

Just curious --- what do you notice on the screen when you don't have audio sync enabled at 24p? Do you notice any drops or anything out of the ordinary?

Thanks! I try to stick with your approach of "design for what you plan to use it for". No need to over-build, over-cool, or over-engineer for a simple media streamer!

When I enable 24p, the audio appears to go out of sync by a fraction of a second, no other anomalies. I'm not anal enough to freak out with playing everything at 60hz (like some are), but the audio going out of sync does bother me. I'm not adventurous enough to try a nightly build of the new AE but I will likely try a monthly one. Hopefully that fixes it.
Why not try playing it at 60? Do you notice a big difference?
(2012-08-12, 22:11)assassin Wrote: Why not try playing it at 60? Do you notice a big difference?

Yup I just have everything play at 60hz. Not a big deal. I do notice that panning looks a little odd but it's not so horrible that I'm searching high and low to get 24p working properly. This falls under the "nice to have" category.

That had got to be the tallest heat sink I've ever seen.
Awesome build! Thanks for posting pix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zed's "no moving parts" build0