Intel Vs. AMD in HTPC Build
I am having a hard time choosing between an Intel CPU or an AMD APU for my HTPC.

I should probably outline what I am wanting to accomplish with my HTPC. Mainly it will be used to play 1080p media while connected to our 46" HDTV via HDMI, it will also be used to stream media to up to 2 other TV's (most likely through Plex on a Roku 2 XD). I currently plan on running Plex in the background as the media service, and have XBMC as the frontend; although I know I could possibly have Plex do everything. It may have to transcode on the fly while streaming to the other TV's. It will not need to do 3D, and it will not have an ODD, so no need to playback DVD/BD discs, possibly only rips. It will also not be used for gaming.

Currently I have been looking at either an AMD A6-3500 or an Intel Pentium G850. But I can always step down to a A4-3400 or G630 if those would suit my needs efficiently.

For motherboard I was thinking of an A75M for the AMD or a H77M for the Intel, mostly because I was planning on getting a SATAIII SSD for the OS and a SATAIII HDD for media. The Silverstone Milo case that I am looking at also has 2 USB3.0 slots on the front, so USB3.0 headers on the mobo would be nice. I also require the mobo to have HDMI and be mATX. I also would like to getaway without having to purchase a video card if possible.

For RAM I was thinking of $gb (2x2gb) G.Skills Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (for the AMD) or 4gb (2x2gb) Corsair DDR3 1333 (for the Intel)

I have been leaning towards AMD only because it would be cheaper in the end; however I would like to get the best CPU/Mobo setup possible for my needs, without breaking the bank. Also, would the stock coolers with either AMD or Intel suffice? or would a low profile aftermarket cooler be a better route for noise and heat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just this "The Silverstone Milo case that I am looking at also has 2 USB3.0 slots on the front, so USB3.0 headers on the mobo would be nice." alone, Intel have more choices.....here is a very nice "ASRock H77M" motherboard with HDMI 1.4a, USB 3.0 header, CIR header.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I believe that the A75M AMD motherboards I have been looking at have USB3.0 headers as well

Such as:
ASRock A75M

ASRock A75M-HVS

Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H

as for Intel boards, I was looking at this one:

Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

I should also mention that I am in Canada (which is why Newegg.ca), The ASRock you posted is actually $99 up here Sad
Asus F1A75-M which I'm using has USB 3.0 header which is useful for your Milo case with front usb3.0.
(2012-08-12, 05:27)Arkitket Wrote: I believe that the A75M AMD motherboards I have been looking at have USB3.0 headers as well

Such as:
ASRock A75M

ASRock A75M-HVS

Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H

as for Intel boards, I was looking at this one:

Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

I should also mention that I am in Canada (which is why Newegg.ca), The ASRock you posted is actually $99 up here Sad
No, AsRock A75M don't have USB 3.0 header....and Gigabyte have USB 3.0, but it might be lack of CIR header. If you are insteresting in turn on/off HTPC using MCE remote controller, you'll need it.....

(2012-08-12, 16:01)baijuxavior Wrote: Asus F1A75-M which I'm using has USB 3.0 header which is useful for your Milo case with front usb3.0.
Since it is discontinued on Newegg, it might be hard to find one and it might be lack of CIR header too.....

I do like that the LGA 1155's are more future forward than the FM1's. That Asrock H77M is not bad.

I was thinking of getting this:
Rosewill RRC-126 Windows 7 Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control with Netflix Function

Since it has a IR dongle, would I still need the CIR header? or is there a better cheaper remote I could use with a mobo that has a CIR header?

Due to most likely needing to transcode media files that will be streamed via Plex to the Roku, I think I need to move up to a quad core. The A8-3850 seems to be the cheapest way to do that, So now just need to look for a A75M mobo with USB3.0 headers and a CIR header (if it is needed). The Intel i5's are significantly more expensive then the A8-3850 or the A6-3650, and I don't think that the i3-2100 would be beefy enough to handle transcoding 720p streams.
I transcode on my server with the Intel Celeron G530.

Don't use "quad core" and "dual core" as your only measure. You have to use things like passmark scores to compare CPUs.

Its all about architecture now and not about CPU clock speed, cores, etc.
(2012-08-13, 03:13)assassin Wrote: I transcode on my server with the Intel Celeron G530.

Don't use "quad core" and "dual core" as your only measure. You have to use things like passmark scores to compare CPUs.

Its all about architecture now and not about CPU clock speed, cores, etc.

I'm beginning to figure that out, have to say that I am thoroughly confused on what CPU to choose. I know what Motherboard I would like depending on which CPU I choose. It's a good thing that I have a month or so before I will order any parts.

It seems that AMD and Intel CPU's don't compare all that easily so it's hard for me to tell what a good Intel equivalent to an AMD APU is (eg, A8-3850) or vice versa.

Assassin, I was originally following your guide and was going to go with a G850 and a Z68 mobo, but apparently that won't efficiently meet my needs.
(2012-08-12, 20:30)Arkitket Wrote: Since it has a IR dongle, would I still need the CIR header? or is there a better cheaper remote I could use with a mobo that has a CIR header?

I did a bit of researching, and I guess you can use a USB IR Dongle or Receiver if you do not have a CIR Header. If that is the case then I think I will end up going with either a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard. I kind of like the idea of Gigabyte's 3D bios though.

FWIW I vote Intel too...
You can build a nice low powered box, but can still provide enough power for the above.

Yes you will outlay a bit more cash, but at the end of the day, its futureproof and powerful Smile
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
(2012-08-13, 02:34)Arkitket Wrote: Due to most likely needing to transcode media files that will be streamed via Plex to the Roku, I think I need to move up to a quad core. The A8-3850 seems to be the cheapest way to do that, So now just need to look for a A75M mobo with USB3.0 headers and a CIR header (if it is needed). The Intel i5's are significantly more expensive then the A8-3850 or the A6-3650, and I don't think that the i3-2100 would be beefy enough to handle transcoding 720p streams.
There is nothing wrong for transcoding blu-ray using i3-2100. I transcoded using my less than powerful E7200 once in a while, and it can do a fine job.

Here is a good review- A8-3870K vs. Core i3-2105 CPU review....i3 received higher PCMark than A8......

(2012-08-13, 02:34)Arkitket Wrote: I did a bit of researching, and I guess you can use a USB IR Dongle or Receiver if you do not have a CIR Header. If that is the case then I think I will end up going with either a Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard. I kind of like the idea of Gigabyte's 3D bios though.
I doubt that Gigabyte/Asus can turn on/off PC from cold start w/ USB IR dongle......
Yeah did a lot of reading last night, looks like the i3-2100/2105/2120/2125/2130 are all very capable of intensive CPU tasks. My question is: Is HD-3000 that much better than HD-2000 in terms of HTPC need?

Also, would the 35w TDP i3-2120T be a good idea? or is the 65w TDP's of the above CPU's alright?

Bluray, I don't think I will often need to cold start the HTPC, I plan on leaving it in S3 most of the time,

Edit: does a hyper-threaded dual-core with 4 thread multi-task about the same as a quad-core single threaded with 4 threads?
I had a problem as yours what cpu brand to go for and i went with amd since it has a better gpu and it cost cheap. If your going to use the gpu of the cpu only. Go for the amd. I have the a8 3820 apu that's a 65w cpu. I don't know much about these things tho since am new to this stuff. Blu,beer,eskro and many others helped me out. Now am very happy with it. I use it with my hdtv and 3d hd projector. Plus i can game as well.
MrKay, can't seem to find the A8-3820 anywhere, has it been discontinued?

I think though; that due to how much I want my HTPC to do, the computational power of the i3's will serve me better then the FX power of the A8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Vs. AMD in HTPC Build0