Intel Vs. AMD in HTPC Build
I have started unhooking as many lights as possible on my personal HTPCs. I don't really need them.
I would probably unhook the lights as well. I will not be overclocking either (only the Z boards and K CPU's allow overclocking)

As far as feature difference, this is the list of what is different between the two (according to their respective spec sheets)

The ASUS has a DisplayPort, Lucid Virtu, RealTek 8111F LAN, RealTek ALC892 Audio with 6 rear audio jacks, a rear eSATA 6gb/s port, an EPU switch, comes with 2 SATAII cables and 2 SATAIII cables.

The Gigabyte has Atheros LAN, VIA VT2021 Audio with 3 rear audio jacks, a TPM module, comes with 2 SATA cables (not sure speed), has Gigabytes 3D Bios.

Of course, each have their own add on features by their respective companies.

So is the Realtek LAN and Audio that much better than the Atheros LAN and VIA audio? is eSATA very handy to have? I will probable never use DisplayPort, not sure what Lucid Virtu is, 6 audio jacks may come in handy but I will most likely be sending audio over HDMI. so it really just comes down to Realtek vs Atheros/VIA and the eSATA port, and whether or not that (coupled with ASUS BIOS) is worth $30

If you're sending audio over HDMI, the audio chip is out of the picture too -- the HDMI audio is part of the GPU.

Lucid Virtu would come into play only with a discrete GPU (article)

eSATA depends on if you plan to hook up an external drive in that manner. If you decide later that you want an external SATA drive, there are other solutions (e.g.: SATA to eSATA bracket).

Not sure about Realtek vs. Atheros LAN.
Hmm, not really sure Lucid Virtu would ever pertain to me, not looking to do a whole lot, if any, gaming on this HTPC.

Didn't know that about HDMI, and with the eSATA it looks like Gigabyte would be the sensible cheaper choice.

If you want a motherboard with the most options, this "ASRock H77 Pro4-M" included HDMI, eSata, USB 3.0 header, CIR header, etc.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-16, 22:45)bluray Wrote: If you want a motherboard with the most options, this "ASRock H77 Pro4-M" included HDMI, eSata, USB 3.0 header, CIR header, etc.....

I can get the ASUS P8H77-M Pro for only $2 more from DirectCanada than I can get the ASRock for from Newegg.ca. The ASUS has a few more features but is missing the CIR header (which I probably wont use anyways, will probably go with a USB dongle type RF or IR remote). I originally looking at the ASRock but removed it from my choices due to the ASUS being very similar in price.
I just ordered the ASRock H77 pro4-m from DirectCanada for $99.36 with free shipping...can't wait to start building...
(2012-08-17, 01:40)rtate Wrote: I just ordered the ASRock H77 pro4-m from DirectCanada for $99.36 with free shipping...can't wait to start building...

I will be ordering most of my parts from them I think, however their website shows the H77 Pro4-M as unavailable Sad

As a side note, if the Ivy Bridge i3's release in mid-Sept at a reasonable price (similar to the current Sandy Bridge) then I may get the i3-3220 or i3-3225
They are almost always the same or even less than the previous generation in regards to price.
That's good to know. I'm hoping they are out in September, as that is when I will be starting to order parts, although I can leave CPU to last if it comes to that.

Also, came across this review of the i3-2120. They tested it against some other processors, one of them being the A8-3850. The A8 did slightly better in the encoding tests using x264 HD and Handbrake, although it took almost twice as long in conversion. Does this mean that the A8 might be better for encoding/transcoding? or are these numbers/review deceptive?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1650/1/
(2012-08-17, 03:06)Arkitket Wrote: That's good to know. I'm hoping they are out in September, as that is when I will be starting to order parts, although I can leave CPU to last if it comes to that.

Also, came across this review of the i3-2120. They tested it against some other processors, one of them being the A8-3850. The A8 did slightly better in the encoding tests using x264 HD and Handbrake, although it took almost twice as long in conversion. Does this mean that the A8 might be better for encoding/transcoding? or are these numbers/review deceptive?

I wouldn't consider 102.2 vs 96.6 as statistically significant.

Especially when you are considering that the i3 is a true dual core and the A8 is a true quad core. The i3 with stock cooler also will be cheaper than the A8 + aftermarket CPU, use less energy, etc.

The choice is up to you but I wouldn't say that a 5% improvement in score here is really significant and if anything I would be disappointed that my 100w TDP Quad core with big aftermarket cooler was only 5% better than a dual core for less total money.

Edit: Also these temperatures are potential nightmare for a low noise low power HTPC, Again for only a ~5% gain...

(2012-08-17, 03:21)assassin Wrote: The choice is up to you but I wouldn't say that a 5% improvement in score here is really significant and if anything I would be disappointed that my 100w TDP Quad core with big aftermarket cooler was only 5% better than a dual core for less total money.

Edit: Also these temperatures are potential nightmare for a low noise low power HTPC, Again for only a ~5% gain...

Lol, I didn't see it that way, but you are right.

The Ivy Bridge i3's should be performing better than the Sandy Bridges for roughly the same price right? If this is true, how much more did a IB i5 perform over its SB i5 counterpart? e.g i5-3450 and i5-2400

(2012-08-17, 03:27)Arkitket Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 03:21)assassin Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 03:06)Arkitket Wrote: That's good to know. I'm hoping they are out in September, as that is when I will be starting to order parts, although I can leave CPU to last if it comes to that.

The choice is up to you but I wouldn't say that a 5% improvement in score here is really significant and if anything I would be disappointed that my 100w TDP Quad core with big aftermarket cooler was only 5% better than a dual core for less total money.

Lol, I didn't see it that way, but you are right.

The Ivy Bridge i3's should be performing better than the Sandy Bridges for roughly the same price right? If this is true, how much more did a IB i5 perform over its SB i5 counterpart? e.g i5-3450 and i5-2400

5-15% in my tests and most sites I have read.

So let's call it a 10% increase in performance over Sandy Bridge.
That's not bad, if the prices are the same or lower than the SB's, coupled with either HD2500 or HD4000, and a TDP of 55w, I may just wait the extra couple of weeks for the IB's i3's if they are to be released sometime in September ( I was planning on ordering in the first couple weeks of September).

Has there been any credible evidence to their release? other then Q3 2012?
(2012-08-17, 03:37)Arkitket Wrote: That's not bad, if the prices are the same or lower than the SB's, coupled with either HD2500 or HD4000, and a TDP of 77w, I may just wait the extra couple of weeks for the IB's i3's if they are to be released sometime in September ( I was planning on ordering in the first couple weeks of September).

Has there been any credible evidence to their release? other then Q3 2012?

You mean like this? http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/20120...ember.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Vs. AMD in HTPC Build0