Running Crystalbuntu: How to access internal drive and transfer files, USB etc.
Hi everybody. I've been lurking around here for more than a year without posting and have been using it as reference for my ATV2 and have found answers to all my questions. However now that I have bought a 160GB Apple TV 1 and have successfully installed Sams crystalbuntu onto the internal drive I am finding myself in this great expanse of linux wonderland...

I would like to thank all the developers here for their great work before I say I have no clue about linux and need some help which I know will be just a piece of cake for you guys. I'm sorry in advance for being so noob about this stuff.

As said I have a 160GB ATV1 running crystalbuntu which does not have a crystal card yet (will have one soon) and is wired straight to my modem-router sitting right next to it. I use an old popcornhour clone with 1TB storage as an SMB server which is also connected to my router and I have no problem watching movies and other media in XBMC.

Since I now have extra 160GB in the ATV1 I would like to transfer some family pictures and videos on to it but the means I normally use do not work. I cannot ftp using filezilla port 21 but I can use port 22 which I think is sftp but if I try to transfer a file into an existing empty directory "media" it gives me a lot of errors. I can ssh using putty but instead of transferring files using commands that I really don't understand I would like to use something on my windows 7 laptop to transfer files and also be able to use the usb on the atv. I have searched google and inside the forum but couldn't find answers to my questions:

1- Can I make the atv show as a computer on my windows network? If too complicated...
2- Can I ftp files into atv internal storage using an ftp client on windows? and...
3- Can I have XBMC recognize external USB drives that are formatted in NTFS?
4- And while doing all this where in the internal drive should I transfer these files to?

Thanks.
You're probably dealing with a permissions issue.

Try this:
1)SSH into the ATV and create some directories, say /media/pictures and /media/videos
2)Change the new directory permissions so that anyone has read/write access to them "sudo chmod 777 /media/pictures /media/videos" or you can just do the chmod to the root directory of /media, but I wouldn't recommend that.
3)You should be able to transfer files into those directories not.
Edit
Thanks for the tips. Managed to create directories in the media directory and set permissions. My problem was that I had to do this through putty using sudo mkdir etc coz otherwise I wasnt getting permission on the ftp client. Before that I reinstalled crystalbuntu coz I felt I had messed around with it too much and after that I noticed any usb was automatically detected. Sweet, looks like I'm all set.
glad it's working
I got a new crystal hd card installed booted atv but cant see crystal hd in any of the video settings. All I see is GPU: Geforce Go 7300 in hardware-video and no option to enable crystalhd in the playback menu. Do I have to reinstall crystalbuntu? That would stink because I've already transferred a whole bunch of pictures and vidoes onto the internal hdd.

Can I reinstall the OS without wiping out the hdd or xbmc only? Or is my bcm70015 broken?
You might have a defective card. stmlabs.com has some posts in their forums about how you can test if your card is good or not. Sorry, I don't have a more direct link handy.
Checked stmlabs.com but couldnt find anything. Is there any ssh command I can use to see if its loaded. So far dmesg or sudo dmesg shows nothing related to crystal hd. I took the card out and put it back in and rebooted etc and still the same. Should I send the card back?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running Crystalbuntu: How to access internal drive and transfer files, USB etc.0