Ivy Bridge Mobile processors?
I've decided I want a htpc that is, I know, way overpowered for XBMC. I also want to run Windows Media Center because it is the only choice for CableCard tuners and premium Cable channels like HBO and Showtime.

I'm thinking a Streacom fanless case, a 60GB SSD and 4 gig of RAM. I already have a SiliconDust HD Homerun Plus tuner with an activated CableCard.

So it seems, when the CPU is available, a dual core i5-3427U with a TPW of 17 and the HD4000 graphics would be the optimum choice. Pricy with a MSRP of $225. I have no idea when or if this unit will be available for little ol me to purchase.

Newegg had a Sandy Bridge Mobile available today, i5-2520M with a TPW of 35 and HD300 graphics. Even pricer at $250... but... available TODAY. The Streacom is pretty particular about what mobo's and cpu's will fit so guidance would be important. I guess I could consider the larger Streacom FC-09 or FC-10 for more flexibility with mobo and cpu choices but the slim FC-05 is my preference. So, Sandy Bridge and 35 TPW or Ivy Bridge and 17 TPW. Any thoughts?

I just got finished experimenting with a Foxconn nt-3700 (AMD E-450 APU/Radon HD6320 GPU) and it was a fail. Cheap and ok looking but Noisy fan and WMC was not stable or responsive. Obviously with the preference for the Streacom case, looks and silence are paramount importance along with ABSOLUTE stability. I tried going small with the Foxconn and I very much missed feeling the unit was responsive enough to be a pleasure to use.
The FC5 is a beautiful case. The FC5 should work with this "Intel Core i5-3450S" 65w CPU...

These places "my-MediaCentre Intel i5 (Ivybridge) 3D FC5 fanless with SSD and Streacom FC5-Z68 Fanless Media PC" have the prebuilt iVy Bridge....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-12, 04:40)bluray Wrote: The FC5 is a beautiful case. The FC5 should work with this "Intel Core i5-3450S" 65w CPU...

These places "my-MediaCentre Intel i5 (Ivybridge) 3D FC5 fanless with SSD and Streacom FC5-Z68 Fanless Media PC" have the prebuilt iVy Bridge....
So your in England?

What advantages do desktop processors bring? I anticipate having the unit on 24/7 so heat and power consumption concern me.
(2012-08-12, 07:31)smitopher Wrote:
(2012-08-12, 04:40)bluray Wrote: The FC5 is a beautiful case. The FC5 should work with this "Intel Core i5-3450S" 65w CPU...

So your in England?

What advantages do desktop processors bring? I anticipate having the unit on 24/7 so heat and power consumption concern me.
I'm in U.S.A. I don't have the iVy Bridge, but I have the 95w i5 Sandy Bridge. I rarely turn it off, and I don't have any problem with it. When I don't use it, it go to sleep......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-12, 07:31)smitopher Wrote: What advantages do desktop processors bring? I anticipate having the unit on 24/7 so heat and power consumption concern me.

Desktop processors bring more power when you need it. Sandy Bridge processors all pretty much use the same power at idle. So if your PC is idling most of that 24/7, you don't get much of a benefit by going with a notebook CPU. Same goes for IVB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ivy Bridge Mobile processors?0