Linux Share mounted USB mass storage device from XBMC
Hi

I have a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed on it. Use an external HD connected widh USB to the PI. I want to share this USB HD on the PI so that my laptop can download content to it.

Now I dismount the USB, connect it to the laptop, transfer the data, unmount and remount it on the PI. Would like to download content directly to the USD HD when it is connected to the PI.

Can this be done? I have trid through UPnP, but cannot find a way to add content.

Thanks in advance, regards
You would need to set up file sharing on the R-Pi. What are you running on it? OpenELEC? Raspbmc?
Hi

Thank you for the reply, I am running Raspbmc.
From what I've read, Raspbmc has a built-in FTP server that might do the job. I'm not sure if it will give access to the USB drive, but it should.

On other XBMC devices, set up a new source using FTP, the IP address of the R-Pi, and (assuming you're using the default username and password) username:pi, password:raspberry

External drives should be under the /media/ directory ( or something like /media/usb/ )
Thank you very much for the info. I got the FTP to work, saved my daySmile

I used WS FTP to connect, there I can navigate up and transfer to my USB. Port forwarding on the router and everything is working great. Now all I have to find out is how to trigger an update remotely on the XBMC after transffering files.

Again, Thank you
a simple http or json request can trigger the library update.
it even works with telnet:

Code:
echo '{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan"}'|telnet xbmc-IP-here 9090

you also need to enable both options in settings - services - remote control

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share mounted USB mass storage device from XBMC0