Maximum harddrive size?
hi guys,

just a quick question that i havent been able to find any answer to. i am going to chip my xbox (1.4) with xecuter 3 ce and then install xbmc. i was wondering what is the max hdd size i can replace the default hdd with.

i just want to use it it as a media centre to rip dvd's to or play div-x stuff etc i have loads of div-x stuff that i would like to put on the hdd to save me digging through big stacks of dvds etc oh and to and play the occasional backup game etc.

pdd
(pdd @ july 29 2005,10:05 Wrote:what is the max hdd size i can replace the default hdd with
it's answered in the faq: "up to 2tb (that's 2048gb!Wink", ide ata-100/133, as long as long a you use a bios that support lba48
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(gamester17 @ july 29 2005,13:13 Wrote:
(pdd @ july 29 2005,10:05 Wrote:what is the max hdd size i can replace the default hdd with
it's answered in the faq: "up to 2tb (that's 2048gb!Wink", ide ata-100/133, as long as long a you use a bios that support lba48
even though the bios may support drives up to 2tb the fatx filesystem has a limitation to 256gb !
this means a partition should not exceed 256gb.
if you make them larger and fill you partition more than 256gb you'll get your data corrupted! i found that out the "hard way" Shocked

you can use special software (xbpartitioner) to increase the cluster size of your partition to 32k to get around that 256gb barrier.
i strongly recommend searching xbox-scene forums on large hard-drives before upgrading your xbox with dives larger than 256gb.

bernd
Quote:even though the bios may support drives up to 2tb the fatx filesystem has a limitation to 256gb !
this means a partition should not exceed 256gb.
if you make them larger and fill you partition more than 256gb you'll get your data corrupted! i found that out the "hard way"

you can use special software (xbpartitioner) to increase the cluster size of your partition to 32k to get around that 256gb barrier.
i strongly recommend searching xbox-scene forums on large hard-drives before upgrading your xbox with dives larger than 256gb.

bernd

the answer is already there, one post above...

to sum up :

- lba48 compatible bios (you have to choose a bios depending on partition structure you want: one f partition/f & g partitions...), you have a 200 gig now so you already know...

- cluster resizing (for partitions size above 256 gig, it is necessary which will be the case with a 500gig even with f and g).

to avoid hassle, get a 400 gig, you wont have to resize clusters.
the other option is to resize f and g partitions to 250gigs which will accomidate hdds up to 500gb. anything larger will require 32k clusters
so there can only be two partitions "f" and "g"?

actually 500gb is more then enough for what i would like to do, but just curiious. is it possible to add extra partitions?
Quote:the other option is to resize f and g partitions to 250gigs which will accomidate hdds up to 500gb. anything larger will require 32k clusters

with xpart? cos usually f size cant be changed...
i'm having problems with corrupt data on the f partition of a 400g drive.

firstly i formated the disc with just an f drive of 370gig and found that everything was ok until i nearlt filled the f partition then got corrupt data. did some reading and found there is an upper limit of 250gig for f. 2 options are format with 32k clusters on f or make an f upto 250 and rest on g.

i formated again using 32k clusters using xbpartitioner, now if i copy vobs bigger than 2gig i can monitor the file growing and then when it hits 2gig the file size shows as a negative number.

my next try is going to make an f and g but would prefer one big f.

anyone got any experience with this?

thanks,
russ.
fixed....

the negative filesizes where only showing up while browsing from another xbox with the auto detect feature. list the files on the xbox the files are stored and filesizes are fine.

so the real fix was format f: with 32k clusters.
i have been using my xbmc for about 2 months and i love it.

however, i just did a transfer from my pc to my movies directory on the xbox and now everything in that folder is gone.

specifics:
i have a 300gb drive in the xbox. i have (i hope still) about 200 gb of avis in the movies folder. i just transferred about 18gb of new avis to the folder. when it was finished, there was only one avi in the folder.

only one file can be found using xbmc file utility, ftp, or avalaunch dashboard. all three programs, however, report what should be the accurate free space (assuming the files are still there).

don't know if this is relevent or not, but several of the new avis are over 1gb in size. don't know if i blew out a file size limit.

are the files still there? can they be recovered? i would appreciate any advise that i can get.

thanks.
i'm too tired to dig up the necessary info, b ut i can say that im quite sure you're files are fragged.

when using a 300gb hdd you need to take special measures before formatting, did you do this ?
you need to change the clustersize, otherwise when you pass a certain point the filesystem gets trashed and all or many files on it

this issue seems to happen to alot of people (who are clueless in the world of hdd's), a tip is to search xbox-scene forums for info
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i used [-forum-auto-response- team-xbmc do not recommend using slayer] boot cd to install the drive with the option to put all the space on the f drive rather than split it up to other drives. i will look on xbox-scene for info, but if you have specifics on how i can avoid this again, please let me know.

thanks.
if using a hard drive over 250gb you need to have a f and g partitions. i have also heard of people changing the cluster size to 32kb(i think) and having all the space on the f partition. but, like pike said search the xbox scene forums. i know that i just saw this question answered in the past few days.

here i have found the thread i was talking about.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496599

hope this helps you out.

thanks. that seems to address my problem exactly. guess a reformat is in my future.
i'm having some troubles getting media center to recognize my g partion, my dashboard, evoultion 3935, see's the available g partion and the space, but when i launch into media center it doesnt show any available space on it? its a 250 giger and f is almost full, what do i have to do to use my g partion and the avaiable space
cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maximum harddrive size?0