Balance & Loudness Control?
Can I get some more loudness when I play videos etc.? The volume control of xmbc is set to 100 % and I would like to have it louder.
Is there a balance control available in xbmc? Or what is the easiest way to control the balance (not with the windows control)?
Hi Dirki,

XBMC wont amplify the sound coming out of your computer any more than the loudest setting your OS allows. If your OS and XBMC are set to 100% (and TV I assume), you may want to invest in a home theater amplifier for further amplification.

As for balance control I don't think this is available through XBMC.

May I ask why you want suck high volumes? Is it for a party or something?
Media Server - Unraid v6, Intel G550, 4GB, 6TB

HTPC - Windows 10, Kodi 15.0, E4400, 2GB
Hello andrewch,

Thanks for helping.

No no, no party etc. just normal use. The OS is not at 100 %, there would be more than enough volume to get, I have the notebook connected to an old HiFi amplifier I can turn much more louder. All the sounds, system sounds, music player, radio etc., all sounds are in a balance,so it would have been easy to just control one loudness of xbmc to make it louder.

E.g. VLC and foobar have much more loudness to use, I could never use it, so I wondered, why these players have so high volumes and xbmc haven't.

And to correct the balance is very uncomfortable with the OS balance control. I would have to change the balance each time I watch a video or TV (I do not have a TV card yet) or back vice versa when I listen to music etc.
XBMC does not have a balance option.

I can completely understand what you mean - when I am watching a video in XBMC and my OS-Volume is turned up to some extend, I don't have any problems. But when I start to play a game then, start something in VLC or whatever I do with my system that produces sounds, I get blown out of my chair because everything else is so much louder than XBMC and the volume I set for XBMC to be loud enough, is obviously way too loud for everything else. This is happening only with XBMC, every other Application I run has a somewhat "standard" sound-level without modifications.

There is an option in the Video-OSD which lets you amplify volumes (for videos only though), but the sound-quality suffers greatly from this.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-08-15, 15:29)HenryFord Wrote: There is an option in the Video-OSD which lets you amplify volumes (for videos only though), but the sound-quality suffers greatly from this.

Which is to say, it will cause audio compression (not the file size kind, but the loudness kind), which is what it is designed for. So it probably won't be what you want. The idea is that you can bring up quiet sounds, but have loud sounds not go past a certain point.
Okay, thank you, so there is no real good way to have something like that.

Thanks again.
(2012-08-15, 15:49)Ned Scott Wrote: Which is to say, it will cause audio compression (not the file size kind, but the loudness kind), which is what it is designed for. So it probably won't be what you want. The idea is that you can bring up quiet sounds, but have loud sounds not go past a certain point.
Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of that (my knowledge about audio-stuff is hardly any good Wink ).

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Balance & Loudness Control?0