[Request] Sort By: Genre. Can this be done?
I don't know if i'm the only one that would think this would be beneficial. But I would really enjoy the option to sort your video library by genre. Now, I am fully aware that there is an option in the submenu of the main screen to select genre. However when viewing that way it separates all the movies into different folders so you need to jump back and forth to go from one genre to the next.

So, I think it would just be nice to have a "Sort By: Genre" option, where all the movies were grouped together the same way they are when you sort them by year or rating.

Problem is, no movie has 1 genre. They often have many like: action, horror, drama, etc. Which category does a movie get sorted by then? Presumably the first, but then who decides what genre should be first? It's all quite arbitrary.
Good point. My only thought would be to have the user define the dominating genre of each movie, but with that being manual input I don't think it would be consistent with the rest of the skin. Oh well, I'll have to let you know if I think of something else.
You can just use the Genre submenu? Smile
This has nothing do do with the skin, XBMC just doesn't have support for it because it just wouldn't work very well.
Media Browser was able to pull it off no problem genres Had a order and was put in the category of the main one
I store my library in folders, Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Horror etc...

...and put the movies in the folder that is most relevant. I can easily create playlists by the folder names.

Media Browser may have been able to sort by Genre but as Vaikin said there can be many Genres per movie and it all depends on what order they are stored in at IMDB or whatever source you scrape from; some movies are listed with the Genre in alphabetical order (of no use) others are listed in order of relevance. You really cannot rely on how they are tagged elsewhere and bear in mind that someone may consider a movie as a horror whereas you may think it is more of a thriller etc...

If you cannot re-arrange your library in to relevant folders then the only way to go is to create a playlist. You can actually sort Movie playlists by Genre but again assume it will pick up the first tagged Genre and this may not always be the most appropriate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Request] Sort By: Genre. Can this be done?0