How to delete files in xbmc?
How can I delete files, e.g. video files in / with xbmc?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...Appearance

see: Allow file renaming and deletion
Allows you to delete and rename files through the user interface.

As you read this wiki and experiment on your own, you will quickly learn about the value of the contextual menu.

To use it, while highlighting an item, press the "C" key on the keyboard. If you are using a mouse, you can right click while hovering over an item. With remote controls, the option to bring up the contextual menu differs based on the remote control that you use.
Ah great, thank you, joebrady, for the link and explanation, works fine now.

Thanks again.
Quote:see: Allow file renaming and deletion
The options there are gone in the "Videos Settings", "File Lists". The options in the context menu are still there, but don't work. What could I do?
(2012-11-27, 21:58)Dirki Wrote:
Quote:see: Allow file renaming and deletion
The options there are gone in the "Videos Settings", "File Lists". The options in the context menu are still there, but don't work. What could I do?

System/Settings > Appearance > File lists > Allow file renaming and deletion
Many thanks, artrafael,

It is already activated there. I assume, if it were deactivated, these option, file renaming and deleting wouldn't be shown in the context menu.
That is correct.
But it doesn' t work.
If you deactivate them the option will remain (in older version of xbmc) but wont do anything, In newer version of xbmc if options are disabled they wont show up in context menu.

And if they are enabled it does work as long as XBMC can read/write to the files your trying to delete or rename.

You still required permissions to do those actions.

uNi
<<<And if they are enabled it does work as long as XBMC can read/write to the files your trying to delete or rename.
Yes, it should be like that.

<<<You still required permissions to do those actions.
How should I do it the best?
The Best depends on many things, like your OS, and where your shares are located and machines doing the sharing.

The permissions depend on your for e.g. SMB or NFS shares setup, you need to set them up with read/write permissions on the machine exporting them. (without that you wont be able to rename or delete anything via xbmc)

On local HDD you have to make sure that the location to whatever is readable and writeable by xbmc. (again same as above except this is system related)

I cant give you a step by step, because 2 things.

1) idk how your shares are setup Machines used (NAS or other) your system (what OS) (because you provide little to no useful information regarding anything to enable anyone that could help to help)

2) Even if you do provide info, Im not about to google it for you,

No one is a mind reader, besides your questions have all been answered.

uNi
Thank you uNi,

Yes, very sorry about point 1), I would have thought, there just would be another option I missed, and point 2).

But, even when I start XBMC as Administrator it doesn' t work and all the rights are already given to XBMC.

Many thanks again.
If you go into your operating system's file manager, are you able to delete that file? Try it and see what happens.
Yes, that work' s for all programs.
Yes, well idk about windows except to say I dont use it with XBMC.

So you may want to look into your sources/shares permissions and how they are setup before XBMC even gets anywhere near.

For e.g I am using Linux+XBMC, and I have NFS and SMB shares (with full permissions) which are added within XBMC (I have XBMC set as Allow rename and File deletion as well) And it all works. I can rename, Delete, move, copy files via XBMC filemanager and rename or delete files via context menu in other parts of XBMC outside filemanager)

Again my permissions on sources are set accordingly giving express permissions to xbmc to allow read/write. < this is important no matter where your sources are located.

Perhaps someone who actually uses Windows + xbmc can clarify it further

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to delete files in xbmc?0