How to delete files in xbmc?
(2012-11-28, 11:52)Dirki Wrote: Yes, that work' s for all programs.
Not sure what you mean by "all programs". When you initially said you couldn't delete files in XBMC, I'm assuming you're referring to media files? My question was whether or not you could delete a specific media file via file manager that you could not delete via the context menu in XBMC.

Also, when you say "it doesn't work" in XBMC, what exactly do you mean by that statement?
  • Did you get any message when you clicked on "Delete" in the context menu for that file?
  • Did you verify the file was physically still present on your hard-disk (even after selecting "Delete" in XBMC) by way of your file manager?
  • Perhaps you can enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC, navigate to a file and select "Delete" from the context menu, exit XBMC and look in your debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log) to see if any error messages were logged at the time you attempted to delete the file. If you want others to review your log file as well, upload its contents to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL link to your uploaded log file here with your reply.

<<<Again my permissions on sources are set accordingly giving express permissions to xbmc to allow read/write. < this is important no matter where your sources are located.
In "Properties" "full access" is displayed.

<<<Not sure what you mean by "all programs".
Every program I use / have on my system can fully access files, the ones having a delete option, renaming option can do it.

<<<When you initially said you couldn't delete files in XBMC, I'm assuming you're referring to media files?
Yes, all the files you can see in the XBMC play list, file manager, avi, flv etc.

<<< My question was whether or not you could delete a specific media file via file manager that you could not delete via the context menu in XBMC.
I am not quite sure, if I understand it right, but I can delete / rename / fully access all files (e.g. all media files) on my system vía all the file managers, e.g. Windows Explorer, and vía all the other programs (which have these options) I have on my system.

<<<Also, when you say "it doesn't work" in XBMC, what exactly do you mean by that statement?

<<< Did you get any message when you clicked on "Delete" in the context menu for that file?
When I right click on the file the context menu opens, I click delete, a message then is shown, "Confirm file delete?", "Delete these files", "Deleting files cannot be undone...". Then I click "Yes", nothing happens, the file is still shown in XBMC and file managers.

<<<Did you verify the file was physically still present on your hard-disk (even after selecting "Delete" in XBMC) by way of your file manager?
Yes, I did each time.

<<<Perhaps you can enable debug logging in XBMC, navigate to a file and select "Delete" from the context menu, exit XBMC and look in your debug log (xbmc.log) to see if any error messages were logged at the time you attempted to delete the file. If you want others to review your log file as well, upload its contents to http://www.pastebin.com or http://www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL link to your uploaded log file here with your reply.
OK, I would try it, when anything els would not provide a solution.

Thanks for helping.
Having the same problem as Dirki on Windows XBMC will not delete files physically - i am guessing this is some sort of permission issue as well... anyone running XBMC on windows for whom the deleting files works share what permissions need to be on the folder so XBMC can delete the file?
Here is the debug log... there is an error message when deleting the file... but no details as to what the issue is... possibly permissions. It would be bad if i have to give everyone write permission to the directories.

===========================================================================================================
18:27:27 T:7700 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnRemove from xbmc
18:27:27 T:7700 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 16, from xbmc, message OnRemove
18:27:28 T:5072 DEBUG: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - probing detected format [matroska,webm]
18:27:28 T:5072 DEBUG: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - avformat_find_stream_info starting
18:27:28 T:5072 DEBUG: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - av_find_stream_info finished
18:27:28 T:5072 INFO: ffmpeg[13D0]: Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'pathtofile.mkv':
18:27:28 T:5072 INFO: ffmpeg[13D0]: Duration: 00:41:03.32, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2770 kb/s
18:27:28 T:5072 INFO: ffmpeg[13D0]: Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
18:27:28 T:5072 INFO: ffmpeg[13D0]: Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 384 kb/s (default)
18:27:28 T:7700 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogYesNo.xml) ------
18:27:29 T:7700 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 4d, sym: 0113, unicode: 0000, modifier: 0
18:27:29 T:7700 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: right (f083) pressed, action is Right
18:27:29 T:7700 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 1c, sym: 000d, unicode: 000d, modifier: 0
18:27:29 T:7700 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: return (f00d) pressed, action is Select
18:27:30 T:7700 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogYesNo.xml) ------
18:27:30 T:7700 DEBUG: FileManager: delete pathtofile.mkv
18:27:30 T:7700 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file pathtofile.mkv
===========================================================================================================
Probably not permissions... since even after adding Everyone and giving full permissions, xbmc still would not delete the files... even after starting xbmc with admin privileges. I think there is a bug possibly somewhere?
I have the same problem and I couldn't find a solution
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160153
Hello,

try to "take ownership" option on the folder. It's worked for me...
Hi.
Where that option would be in Kodi 17?
There is a complete different menu layout and I cannot find this deletion permission option...
(2017-04-03, 20:42)raven6679 Wrote: Hi.
Where that option would be in Kodi 17?
There is a complete different menu layout and I cannot find this deletion permission option...

Hi all,

I've got the same issue. Any advice?

hauptt
Hello hauptt and welcome,

This is a 5 year old thread, so it is best to completely explain what you are trying to achieve or what the problem is. Just pointing to something written 5 years ago and claiming it as your problem also is not a great idea.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi Karellen,

Thanks for replying to my post. As the quote reflects, I am (very much like raven6679) looking for the new place of the "Settings → Appearance → File lists → Allow file renaming and deletion" option in Kodi 17.4.

Do you have any suggestions where to find it?
Yes, it is located as follows:

Settings>Media Settings>General
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Should have mentioned, that option will be visible when the Menu level is set to either Advanced or Expert
My Signature
(2017-08-23, 23:18)Karellen Wrote: Should have mentioned, that option will be visible when the Menu level is set to either Advanced or Expert

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for!
Glad it worked. That menu level trips up lots of people.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to delete files in xbmc?0