Linux Zotac ZBOX HTPC-setup, what do you think?
I'm already a proud HTPC owner for over 2 years now. My father is amazed by XBMC and now wants a HTPC for himself. My system is "selfmade" with a zotac mini-ITX mainboard and so on. Since my father isn't such a tech-guy as I am, I was looking for something that works almost (out of the box). So I came up with these to systems (both are also from zotac)

ZBOX DVD ID31
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop...71&lang=de

ZBOX ID80
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop...95&lang=de
(Not sure if he needs a DVD-drive, or not.

As harddisk for both of these systems I think I may go with the Patriot Torqx2 2,5" SSD 32/64 GB. I will use the SSD only for the OS/XBMC, since he already has an USB 3.0 harddisk with all his media on it. As OS I'd like to use Ubuntu-Linux (XBMCbuntu).

I'm a little afraid that the WLAN chips won't work well with linux, as the built-in WLAN (Atheros) from my zotac-mainboard has some serious speed problems. (especially when accessing files per WLAN through samba!!) Unfortunately I couldn't find out which chips are actually built-in in the ZBOX DVD ID31/ZBOX ID 80.

Has anybody experience with these systems, are they okay? What do you think of them?

/e Oh, and could anybody recommend me a remote that works well with XBMCbuntu?
I'd also recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.

It comes pre-installed with Windows 7, a wireless keyboard, remote, and all you'd have to do is install XBMC.
IMHO,..the Zotac boxes are cool,..but they can be a bit pricey.
Zotac boxes are pricey? Both of them have better specs than the Acer Revo R70-UR10P and are also cheaper.

But thanks for your contribution, I'm happy about every feedback I get. Smile

/E Ah of course, both of them are without OS and HDD/RAM, sorry.
I'd say they are pricey for what you get in a barebones.

Zotac ID31 - last generation Intel Atom/ION - $354 @ amazon.com
Zotac ID80 - current generation Intel Atom/GT520 - $267.49 @ newegg.com

Intel SandyBridge G530 barebones - $279.99 at http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5g530.html

The SandyBridge will run circles around either of those systems.

$30 more can get you a A6-3500 based barebones: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5a63500.html

Or, you can build your own and pick your own parts and spend even less.
I would stay away from zotac personally. Is your father going to be running windows?
As stated above, I'd like to go with XBMCbuntu (Linux). Why would you stay away from Zotac?
I have a couple of Zotac boxes and boards for testing. D2700 with GT520M is the perfect fit for running XBMC on Linux. If you want all buttons of the included remote control work you need my patched lirc driver.
Oh, that's great to hear! Where do I get the patched driver?
(2012-08-15, 22:01)fexschuller Wrote: Zotac boxes are pricey? Both of them have better specs than the Acer Revo R70-UR10P and are also cheaper.

Not true,...once you start adding the OS (unless you go with Linux), and other equivalent components that come standard with the Acer,...
Those two Zotac boxes can't compare.

(2012-08-16, 08:52)fexschuller Wrote: As stated above, I'd like to go with XBMCbuntu (Linux). Why would you stay away from Zotac?

Because I have personally RMA'd more Zotac products than all other companies combined. YMMV.
(2012-08-16, 09:36)fexschuller Wrote: Oh, that's great to hear! Where do I get the patched driver?

step 13.
http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html
(2012-08-16, 14:12)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-15, 22:01)fexschuller Wrote: Zotac boxes are pricey? Both of them have better specs than the Acer Revo R70-UR10P and are also cheaper.

Not true,...once you start adding the OS (unless you go with Linux), and other equivalent components that come standard with the Acer,...

Yeah, you're right. I already corrected myself. Smile

(2012-08-16, 15:51)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2012-08-16, 09:36)fexschuller Wrote: Oh, that's great to hear! Where do I get the patched driver?

step 13.
http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html

Thank you very much!
(2012-08-16, 17:17)fexschuller Wrote:
(2012-08-16, 14:12)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:

Yeah, you're right. I already corrected myself. Smile

Sorry, that was my fault for not reading it clearly.
Good luck in finding a solution. Wink

Hi,
I found this discussion while looking for ways to improve performances with my Zbox.
Actually, I've finally reached the conclusion that's not worth keep trying, so I'm sending it back to Amazon, and I'm writing this here just in case this could be helpful to somebody that's thinking about buying one.
I've seen other discussions in the forum about it, buy maybe people didn't test their box long enough...

My model is Zotac Zbox ID41, Intel Atom D525 (dual-core 1.8 GHz), Nvidia ION with 512 MB DDR3. I got the semi-barebone, and I've added a 160 Gb SSD drive and 4 Gb of RAM.
I've tested it only with Linux (Kubuntu 32 and 64 bit, XBMC) but I've found that similar problems have been with Win7 (with NetFlix too).
The good thing is that everything works out of the box. There is a known problem with WiFi performance, but it's a hardware issue, nothing to do with Linux (confirmed by transferring a big file using another machine on the same router).

Basically performances of Zbox suck at royal level (considering the hardware).
Online streaming is hopeless: YouTube and Hulu cannot handle 720i fullscreen, and 1080i can't reach 10 FPS (apparent, not measured).
YouTube 720i videos seem to run slightly better when saved as files (MP4) and played with VLC. Hulu is poorly rendered both within browser and XMBC add-on. In the browser I've tried streamings from CBS and ABS websites but except for couple of ads that run smoothly, there was an embarassing lag between audio and video.
For sake of testing, I've played high quality HD clips (30 sec. each) fullscreen with VLC and you can definitely see lags and artifacts with any scenes more complex than a person talking on the screen (i.e. helicopter flying, people running, grass fields...).
Before giving up, I've tried all the hacks I new to speed up stuff (disabling effects, run apps on a manually started barebone X without the greeter nor effects, writing customized Xorg, using Nvidia config tool...) and I've tested different output modes like OpenGL and VDPAU, with slightly better results with the latter.

My advice is to stay away from anything running Atom processors, 'cause these things are just toy CPU's. Unfortunately, it seems the ION GPU can't compensate this lack of power, so either you get a way more powerful GPU or the Zbox is not for you.

In case anybody had suggestions for what to try as a replacement, they would be really much appreciated.
I'm looking into trying a ChromeBox (that has a real processor, not an Atom-toy), if anyone has experience on that... appreciated...

Cheers,

(a sad) FussyPenguin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX HTPC-setup, what do you think?0