Question about my XBMC build
Hello guys,

Wanted some opinions on my XBMC build.

Case : Origen S16T
Motherboard : M5A97pro
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 950 Black Edition
RAM : 4 Go
Hard Disk : 2 * Western Digital Caviar Green 1 To (RAID 1)
For the graphics card I have the choice between HD6670 from Gigabyte or GT440 from PNY but which to choose ?

Thank for your answers

if this box is solely for xbmc all of that is overkill. as for the video card go with the gt440. currently only nvidia is supported for bitstreaming hd audio (dts-hd and truehd) under linux. although you need to be running a pre-frodo build for that.
Thank you furii for you answer. The box is solely for xbmc. Sorry.
If I understand correctly, it is preferable to use Nvidia card. Is it possible to have a short explanation why Nvidia ?

Oups, the explanation is in the post 2.
Sorry for the noise
Also, VDPAU tends to just work when hardware accelerating video codecs whereas VAAPI and XVBA tend to take more work, or don't support as many formats and/or levels.
That cpu is overkill if its solely for xbmc and it will generate alot of heat, which equals noise. I'd switch to a corei3 (maybe a aftermarket/quieter cooler) and put a small ssd in your build for the operating system. And stick with nvidia for graphics, they just work. Intels gpus are always getting better but not as mature as nvidia. ATIs closed-drivers on linux have sucked for as long as Ive been using linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about my XBMC build0